By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch’s next evergreen/blue ocean title(s)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Slownenberg said:

Of all the people who ever downloaded Pokemon Go sure. But of the people who still care about it today, that 1% would bring in what like maybe 20k people. The hundreds of millions of people who haven't played Pokemon Go in two years are not going to be thinking about paying $360 for another pokemon game that isn't anything like Pokemon Go but has "Go" in the title, not even 1% of them, the vast majority of them won't even know Pokemon Let's Go exists. And honestly the people who are still playing are all previous pokemon fans. So really that 6.5 million number that went down to ~20k in reality goes down to roughly zero. Like I said, a pokemon game that has "Go" in the title but doesn't have anything that made Pokemon Go a viral hit, and isn't a free to play mobile game, is not going to be picking up non-gamers who played Pokemon Go a couple years ago. Pokemon Let's Go will appeal to a portion of the normal Pokemon crowd, that is it. It will sell well off the brand name, but the mainline Pokemon game coming a year later will outsell it several fold likely.

Pokemon Go is currently the #2 grossing app on iOS.  It is still hugely popular.  

Doesn't change the fact that only a tiny fraction of the number of people that played it in 2016 play it now, and an even tinier fraction of the 650 million total downloads. Like I said, those people still playing it are very likely all people who are hardcore pokemon fans, and therefore they are not this group of non-gamers that you expect to suddenly go out and buy a Switch in order to get Let's Go and make it the Switch's all time best selling game, because that group you are talking about as I said is roughly zero. There are many, many millions of Pokemon fans out there, and yes some of them are still playing Pokemon Go, and very likely they will buy Let's Go, but that is precisely who is already expected to buy Let's Go - hardcore pokemon fans.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Pokemon Go is currently the #2 grossing app on iOS.  It is still hugely popular.  

Doesn't change the fact that only a tiny fraction of the number of people that played it in 2016 play it now, and an even tinier fraction of the 650 million total downloads. Like I said, those people still playing it are very likely all people who are hardcore pokemon fans, and therefore they are not this group of non-gamers that you expect to suddenly go out and buy a Switch in order to get Let's Go and make it the Switch's all time best selling game, because that group you are talking about as I said is roughly zero. There are many, many millions of Pokemon fans out there, and yes some of them are still playing Pokemon Go, and very likely they will buy Let's Go, but that is precisely who is already expected to buy Let's Go - hardcore pokemon fans.

Do you have data on this?  Anecdotally, everyone I know who plays Pokemon doesn't play Pokemon Go, while all the Pokemon Go people I know either played as a kid (and stopped) or they are getting into Pokemon for the first time.  

Generally, Pokemon games have mostly been for kids, while Pokemon Go appeals mostly to adults.  Pokemon Let's Go is to get adults into Pokemon, especially adults who played Pokemon as kids and then stopped as adults.