By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2K happy with NBA / WWE’s performance on Switch, will continue support

When I spoke with 2K president David Ismailer at E3, I asked him about how the publisher's first forays on the Switch, NBA 2K18 and WWE 2K18 had done.

"We're really happy with our performance on NBA, and WWE. I think we are going to be continuing supporters of the Switch platform. A lot of the developers are huge fanboys of the Switch platform, so they really love developing for [it].

There was a noticeable pause before he added WWE in that first sentence, and for understandable reasons. The game's Metacritic average of 35 was barely half that of the other versions of the game, and its technical issues were well-documented. A month later, 2K confirmed that WWE 2K19 would skip the Switch, explaining, "2K is focused on making the best possible experience for WWE 2K fans and will continue evaluating all opportunities to deliver the franchise across additional platforms."

One thing that didn't hold the Switch version of WWE 2K18 back was the game's requirement that even players of the cartridge version have a microSD card to hold a mandatory 32GB download. NBA 2K18 carried the same storage requirement, as have a number of other AAA games on the system. While such a mandate would have been a deal-breaker for many games just a generation ago, Ismailer said 2K hasn't seen evidence of it hurting sales so far.

"I don't believe it's an issue," he said. "Our goal is to deliver the exact same experience. We don't want to create a different and bifurcated experience for the Switch platform. In order to accomplish that goal--our games are very big--that was the requirement. If we wanted to deliver a different experience, or I would say a sub-standard experience... But when we initially started development on the Switch, the goal was to deliver the same experience you have on [other] consoles."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-27-rocket-league-refueling-for-year-four

Waiting to people twist around this also. :D

Around the Network

That is great to hear

Pocky Lover Boy! 

nba was good, wwe i hope they work out the bugs. It wasn't realy that great across all platforms to be honest anyway.

Now I'm sad WWE sold well on the Switch, that performance was unacceptable. Oh well, at least they will try harder next time, I guess.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Wait, they were happy with WWE performance on Switch...but said WWE2k19 would not come to Switch due to..."backlash"...

I guess 2 plus 2 equals fish now?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

Almost bought wwe18 for switch the other day cause of the big sale, but then I read and watched how unplayable it is. Super let down.

Shiken said:
Wait, they were happy with WWE performance on Switch...but said WWE2k19 would not come to Switch due to..."backlash"...

I guess 2 plus 2 equals fish now?

"There was a noticeable pause before he added WWE in that first sentence, and for understandable reasons. The game's Metacritic average of 35 was barely half that of the other versions of the game, and its technical issues were well-documented. A month later, 2K confirmed that WWE 2K19 would skip the Switch, explaining, "2K is focused on making the best possible experience for WWE 2K fans and will continue evaluating all opportunities to deliver the franchise across additional platforms.""

Don't really seem very committed to the Switch

It's odd that after 17 months, threads still have to be created to validate 3rd party games on the switch. With the caveat "Waiting to people twist around this also. :D"

WWE on Switch sold way, way more than it deserved.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138