By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of The Wild Now The Best Selling Zelda!!

Vini256 said:
HoloDust said:

I'm on the opposite end - I find shrines to be as if they were given to game design interns and nothing but a filler - to add insult to injury, always with the same esthetics and reward. Bar few enviromental, very early in the game, they've started to feel like grinding to me.

But to each his own, I find BotW to have so many flaws I wouldn't even know where to start.

I feel like the shrines are great as a concept, but the execution could've been much better than it was. Since all of them shared the same assets and were kind of "blocky" looking, it really did feel like they were all made in a "shrine maker" (Like that test chamber creator in Portal 2). If for the next game they made the shrines more like the mini-dungeons in OoT and MM, that would be a big improvement already. Overall I think it's just a matter of quality > quantity if they keep shrines for the next Zelda.

I also heard the shrines in the DLC were much better, but I'm not spending $20 more on a game I didn't like that much just to play those (If they allowed us to buy just the 2nd pack for $10 then I might've considered it though).

Oh, by the way, I watched the video you sent me yesterday, pretty cool!

Every open world game needs quite a few of those hidden mini dungeons/caves or whatever - problem with shrines is they all feel, at least to me, completely out of place and tacked on to main game, and as I said, all looking the same and giving same boring reward. There were few environmental ones that I liked, but that's about it from all those 100+ shrines.

Hope you enjoyed the video. I know that whenever open world is brought these days into conversation, people automatically think of modern mass market open world games - but there are indeed games that do it quite differently, Gothic 1/2 is very good example, being cult classic with open world C/W/RPG fans...well at least, a bit older one. In my opinion, classic 3D Zelda (or something like Dark Souls for that matter) would work perfectly with that type of open world design, and not with something that is more akin to Elder Scrolls.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

I actually really loved the way the games broke the dungeon stuff down into bite-sized chunks with the shrines, it was so satisfying to conquer them ten minutes at a time instead of each one going on for hours.

I agree with this 100% - it also brings the pacing back down to what it was for the original four Zelda games with their shorter dungeon lengths, except on a much larger scale because there's WAAAAY more stuff in Breath of the Wild.

One thing I really disliked about other 3D Zeldas was how the majority of time in the dungeons was spent finding a needle in a haystack. There might be a key hidden in one little part of the dungeon, but you've been around that room already, and so you search the entirety of the rest of the dungeon before either: A. Doing it all over again, searching through the dungeon, or B. Looking the answer up on Gamefaqs. Some people really like that, but it's not for me.

Another thing I really liked about Breath of the Wild was that the parts I couldn't complete could be skipped! It was very liberating the first time I decided "I'm done with this s***!" and exited the shrine to go look somewhere else to progress or find stuff to do =D

Agreed, nothing slams the brakes on the fun like getting stalled on an obtuse puzzle or retreading every inch of a huge dungeon for a key. I never had that problem in BOTW cos besides being more condensed, the dungeons were also more logical and intuitive.

Don't get me wrong, prior Zelda games had some awesome dungeons, (Forest and Fire Temples in Ocarina, Snowpeak Ruins in TP, Ancient Cistern, Sandship, and the final dungeon in Skyward Sword) but BOTW's bite-sized shrines were more to my taste, it keep the pace flowing with small digestible chunks.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Good, because it's the best one.

For me, it was the first game in years that really felt like it was pushing gaming forward as a medium instead of just retreading an established formula with prettier pixels. It captured my imagination and gave me newfound hope for the future of video games.

I couldn't have said it better.  I wish their were more games that were as ambitious as Breath of the Wild.

curl-6 said:

I actually really loved the way the games broke the dungeon stuff down into bite-sized chunks with the shrines, it was so satisfying to conquer them ten minutes at a time instead of each one going on for hours.

I totally agree.  

The funny thing is that I normally don't really care for big puzzle dungeons (and I didn't really care for the 4 big ones in BotW either.)  But the shrines just feel perfect.  To me BotW is an exploration game first and foremost, but when I find something interesting I want to be able to fool with it for a little while.  The shrines did that for me perfectly.  Find a shrine.  Take a few minutes to solve it.  Get reward.  Boom, I'm back exploring.  That is the way to do it.  The big dungeons take me away from exploring for too long.

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

I agree with this 100% - it also brings the pacing back down to what it was for the original four Zelda games with their shorter dungeon lengths, except on a much larger scale because there's WAAAAY more stuff in Breath of the Wild.

One thing I really disliked about other 3D Zeldas was how the majority of time in the dungeons was spent finding a needle in a haystack. There might be a key hidden in one little part of the dungeon, but you've been around that room already, and so you search the entirety of the rest of the dungeon before either: A. Doing it all over again, searching through the dungeon, or B. Looking the answer up on Gamefaqs. Some people really like that, but it's not for me.

Another thing I really liked about Breath of the Wild was that the parts I couldn't complete could be skipped! It was very liberating the first time I decided "I'm done with this s***!" and exited the shrine to go look somewhere else to progress or find stuff to do =D

Agreed, nothing slams the brakes on the fun like getting stalled on an obtuse puzzle or retreading every inch of a huge dungeon for a key. I never had that problem in BOTW cos besides being more condensed, the dungeons were also more logical and intuitive.

Don't get me wrong, prior Zelda games had some awesome dungeons, (Forest and Fire Temples in Ocarina, Snowpeak Ruins in TP, Ancient Cistern, Sandship, and the final dungeon in Skyward Sword) but BOTW's bite-sized shrines were more to my taste, it keep the pace flowing with small digestible chunks.

Now that you say it, it kinda makes me think if the portability of the Switch was not one those reasons they opt for this design choice with the shrines ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Good. I never thought Ocarina of Time would be topped. Every Zelda after OoT was just a little lazier, and a little less fleshed out. Majora's Mask had only four dungeons. Windwaker should have included the Whale's dungeon. Twilight Princess was great, but was a tad linear. Skyward Sword dropped almost all elements of exploration. BotW was a 180 for the series, and truly modernized it.

Around the Network

Nice! Very well deserved.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

the new king and milestone in the series!

Switch!!!