By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Starbucks Billionaire: You Can’t Have Healthcare Or College

spurgeonryan said:
I just want my college paid for.

Well, sure.  Who wouldn't want that?  The question is, are you willing to constantly pay for everyone else's for the rest of your life?

My college debt has been paid off.  Why should I have to start paying again?

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

Around the Network
contestgamer said:

Yeah better results for the majority, but thats misleading, because many here cant afford healthcare. Those that can afford good healthcare get better results HERE than they do in Germany. So healthcare is better here at the highest level than in Germany. I's not a coincidence that billionaires fly in from all around the world for treatments in the US and not Germany.

Parts of Germany (ex: Bavaria https://www.n-tv.de/reise/Medizintourismus-in-Muenchen-treibt-die-Preise-article18421001.html https://www.dw.com/de/das-riesengesch%C3%A4ft-mit-dem-medizintourismus-in-deutschland/a-42114866 ) do, in fact, receive significant amounts of high-end medical tourism, outside of other EU nations (obviously first), most notably from the gulf states and Russia. 

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

DirtyP2002 said:

Germany has 100% free education and a very decent healthcare and social security system established. Germany reported a budget surplus of 25 billion Euro (28 billion USD).
That means Germany actually made a profit.

This is not true.  There is no free education anywhere.  That is not possible.  

As for a budget surplus, no, that's not profit  That just means they stole more money from the taxpayers than they should have.  

Kalkano said:
spurgeonryan said:
I just want my college paid for.

Well, sure.  Who wouldn't want that?  The question is, are you willing to constantly pay for everyone else's for the rest of your life?

My college debt has been paid off.  Why should I have to start paying again?

Well things like road taxes and such that you pay also pay for everyone else as well I've never got this argument because everyone else would be paying for you the same way.

Why should you start paying? Well if you have children it'll save you and them (and their kids) a lot of money for their education. 

pokoko said:
contestgamer said:

Yeah better results for the majority, but thats misleading, because many here cant afford healthcare. Those that can afford good healthcare get better results HERE than they do in Germany. So healthcare is better here at the highest level than in Germany. I's not a coincidence that billionaires fly in from all around the world for treatments in the US and not Germany.

I'm not sure where you got your information from but wealthy US citizens going to clinics in other countries is fairly common.  Costa Rica, for example, which was famously endorsed by Rush Limbaugh.  Some of the most prestigious hospitals in the world are in Europe and, surprisingly, southeast Asia.  

Even some US insurance companies are sending patients overseas because they can save a huge amount of money for the same surgery at the same quality.  That number keeps growing every year as the ridiculousness of the US system becomes more obvious.

Yeah, but again you're using the average person as your data point. They go elsewhere because they cant afford US care. Where do billionaires go? To the top US hospitals. The US system is better.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
pokoko said:

I'm not sure where you got your information from but wealthy US citizens going to clinics in other countries is fairly common.  Costa Rica, for example, which was famously endorsed by Rush Limbaugh.  Some of the most prestigious hospitals in the world are in Europe and, surprisingly, southeast Asia.  

Even some US insurance companies are sending patients overseas because they can save a huge amount of money for the same surgery at the same quality.  That number keeps growing every year as the ridiculousness of the US system becomes more obvious.

Yeah, but again you're using the average person as your data point. They go elsewhere because they cant afford US care. Where do billionaires go? To the top US hospitals. The US system is better.

As I said, many wealthy people are choosing to go to clinics and hospitals like those in Costa Rica or Thailand.  Thailand by itself has three of the most prestigious hospitals in the world that are on par with top US hospitals.

Even if what you said was true, the US system would not be "better" because only the wealthy could afford it.  That would actually make it a terrible system.

pokoko said:
contestgamer said:

As I said, many wealthy people are choosing to go to clinics and hospitals like those in Costa Rica or Thailand.  Thailand by itself has three of the most prestigious hospitals in the world that are on par with top US hospitals.

Even if what you said was true, the US system would not be "better" because only the wealthy could afford it.  That would actually make it a terrible system.

Healthcare should be judged by where the super wealthy who can afford ANY system would rather go to. More super wealthy choose US treatment options than that of any other country.

The American public in general are far more selfish and less intelligent when it comes to social programs. That's why there's more of a "every man for himself" attitude instead of a "lets work together so everyone can have a happy life" attitude. People would rather pay 2x in insurance and hospital costs instead of paying for a cheaper healthcare system just because they think that other people who aren't as privileged as them shouldn't be able to have a decent life.

contestgamer said:
pokoko said:

You're not wrong in saying many do travel to the US for serious illnesses, the US at the highest level can supply some of the best care, but what really helps the UHC system is the cheaper preventative care option due to people generally in UHC systems visiting their Dr's far more regularly because it's cheaper to do so, this has the knock on effect of people being less seriously sick later on, not needing these expensive later options when health issues get serious because it was left too late 

Basically in a nutshell if your on a UHC you will visit the Dr more because it's cheap and preventing many of your illness getting more serious leading to less people needing the expensive options later

In the current US system, people hold off from visiting their Dr due to higher costs until the illness is more serious, this stimulates spending and research into areas of late/serious health issues, but overall results are lower in health outcomes and life expectancy as seen in World data where the US does poorly in overall health outcomes   

Rab said:
contestgamer said:

You're not wrong in saying many do travel to the US for serious illnesses, the US at the highest level can supply some of the best care, but what really helps the UHC system is the cheaper preventative care option due to people generally in UHC systems visiting their Dr's far more regularly because it's cheaper to do so, this has the knock on effect of people being less seriously sick later on, not needing these expensive later options when health issues get serious because it was left too late 

Basically in a nutshell if your on a UHC you will visit the Dr more because it's cheap and preventing many of your illness getting more serious leading to less people needing the expensive options later

In the current US system, people hold off from visiting their Dr due to higher costs until the illness is more serious, this stimulates spending and research into areas of late/serious health issues, but overall results are lower in health outcomes and life expectancy as seen in World data where the US does poorly in overall health outcomes   

hm, never looked at it that way. Makes sense. Can we still have private healthcare options like we do now at the highest level if we have a public option? For people that want fast care/no wait times or just can afford top level care for a serious illness?