By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So can we finally put this to rest?

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Mar1217 said:

We don't know the full name yet, but I think it might be kind of a mixture between Classic/Adventure/Story modes

And to answer the OP, there was not much to question in it's authenticity as a brand new Smash game. It was aanounced as Smash 5, then it is.

Add a proper adventure mode to Smash Ultimate, alongside the obscene amount of content in terms of characters, stages, musical tracks, modes, and mechanics, and this could be a game for the ages :)

It would be the ultimate smash game :p

Around the Network

Well its officially Smash 6 according to nintendo.

Just because it changes the menus, a few of the character designs, and adds on more content does not mean that it is not using the Smash 4 engine and assets. I guess it depends on how you define the labels. They obviously didn’t rebuild everything from scratch because why would they? But they also have added so many new elements it feels like nothing has been completely untouched. I would say this makes it Smash 4.6-4.9 lol. But does it really matter? Smash on Switch is a must buy and this will be far better than the Smash titles before it. ;) If it makes you feel better to think this was a ground up effort and is Smash 10 or 5 or 8 then do it and go buy it. I know everyone else is going to. 

zygote said:

Just because it changes the menus, a few of the character designs, and adds on more content does not mean that it is not using the Smash 4 engine and assets. I guess it depends on how you define the labels. They obviously didn’t rebuild everything from scratch because why would they? But they also have added so many new elements it feels like nothing has been completely untouched. I would say this makes it Smash 4.6-4.9 lol. But does it really matter? Smash on Switch is a must buy and this will be far better than the Smash titles before it. ;) If it makes you feel better to think this was a ground up effort and is Smash 10 or 5 or 8 then do it and go buy it. I know everyone else is going to. 

I'd say at least 90% of sequels use the same engine with modifications and a good deal of the same assets... so I'm not sure how that is relevant.

zygote said:

By that logic...

Fallout 4 is just another port of Skyrim.

Fable 3 is a port of Fable 2.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1,2, and 3 are just ports of Demon Souls.

Yeah, I think we are done here.  =P

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Shiken said:
mZuzek said:
It had already been resting since forever, some dumb people were just beating a dead horse.

I know, but I have seen people here and other site still making the claim, and it always annoyed me.  I could not resist serving up some crow and bringing it up.  =P

Unless people who held the position that it didn't (at the time) have what they'd expect from a new Smash entry also said that "this could never change no matter what Sakurai added", or that they "didn't expect this would change", I don't see how they were served crow.

bigtakilla for example said he expected it to (distinctly) separate itself from Smash 4. That also doesn't mean that him or others changed their position on the state of the game before this reveal.
If people's expectation of a new Smash includes certain things like a focus on new characters and stages, etc, then I could certainly see their point of view there, until those things are added.

Personally I didn't label it one way or another because of that, but I did say that "port" isn't really relevant to the discussion, and that "4.5" is misleading in that it greatly understates how ambitious this game is compared to upgrades like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

But at this point, I don't see any reasonable arguments for this not being a new Smash game as much as any other remaining.
Such as the one you recently quoted.

In fact, I'd argue this is already looking like the most ambitious new Smash game, ever.

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 August 2018

To answer your question...