Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate Direct August 8th 2018 announced at Evo

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
PAOerfulone said:
Mario and Mega Man were sacrificed so we could have Inklings and Ridley. Luigi was sacrificed so we could have Simon and Richter Belmont. And King Dedede was sacrificed so we can have King K. Rool.

And then Goku will be the final reveal trailer and he'll use the Dragon Balls to wish them all back. :P

Are the dragon balls like the infinity stones?

They're different basically the are 7 of them that need to be gathered in order to summon a Dragon who grants a character a wish, all 7 of them are required so they can't be used by themselves and after each summon they turn to stone temporarily (they need one year to regenerate) and fly high up in the air and scatter to different parts of the world needing to tracked down again.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Are the dragon balls like the infinity stones?

They're different basically the are 7 of them that need to be gathered in order to summon a Dragon who grants a character a wish, all 7 of them are required so they can't be used by themselves and after each summon they turn to stone temporarily (they need one year to regenerate) and fly high up in the air and scatter to different parts of the world needing to tracked down again.

Also, there are (that we know of) three sets of canon dragon balls. Namek has one set, Earth another, and then there are the Super Dragon balls which exist in universe 6&7. Of course we disregard the non canon dark balls from GT.

Hiku said:

lso, please remember that both Mario and Luigi are dead, according to the lore.

But only Luigi had a soul? Was Mario the villian the whole time? Depriving Peach and Bowser from each other?

S.Peelman said:

Also loved the big artwork with all the characters. Someone should compare that with the boxart of the European Special Edition, if it’s the same I guess there won’t be anymore new character announcements beside DLC. 

That's not the final picture in the box, he was pretty specific in the direct that will be more characters for the release. They will only print the box with the updated image close to release, they wouldn't make the mistake of leaking the final roster that way.

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
S.Peelman said:

Also loved the big artwork with all the characters. Someone should compare that with the boxart of the European Special Edition, if it’s the same I guess there won’t be anymore new character announcements beside DLC. 

That's not the final picture in the box, he was pretty specific in the direct that will be more characters for the release. They will only print the box with the updated image close to release, they wouldn't make the mistake of leaking the final roster that way.

Ah, missed that then thanks.

EDIT: Pre-ordered the Limited Edition just now.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 09 August 2018

Around the Network
RobDX said:
That was a great direct! One of the reasons I always wanted a castlevania rep (other than loving the series) is the music. It was awesome seeing them acknowledging the greatness of castlevania's music...*snip*

Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears are probably my two favourite videogame tunes ever made, so I fully agree with you.

Hey and ssb fans want to help me out? We need to make a list of a couple of things. 1st of all assist trophys that were in previous games not shown off yet. Why? Potienl new characters! I noticed that some big name guys are still not shown off. Similar to how dark samus was and to an extent Chrom (robin final smash)

Here take a look at somemof these....

Isaac (Golden Sun)
Starfy (starfy)
Dillon (Dillon western roll)
Saki (Sin and punishment)
Isabelle (animal crossing) Echo?
Shadow (Sonic) Echo?
Andy (Advance wars)

160rmf said:
S.Peelman said:

They implied there will be no more new stages announced though, which if true would mean there will be no more characters from franchises that aren't already in Smash.

mZuzek said:
160rmf said:

They implied there will be no more new stages announced though, which if true would mean there will be no more characters from franchises that aren't already in Smash.

Implying and what actually happens in regards to Smash are two different things they implied back at E3 the would likely be no new characters added and this week we got 5 with a confirmation a few more are on the way so we can't really take what is implied as an absolute.

Wyrdness said:
mZuzek said:

Implying and what actually happens in regards to Smash are two different things they implied back at E3 the would likely be no new characters added and this week we got 5 with a confirmation a few more are on the way so we can't really take what is implied as an absolute.

They never said there wouldn't be any more new characters, they said not to expect many more, and in fact we've only had 2 new ones since if we're taking off Echo Fighters, which they clearly don't count as new characters. It's quite different than them coming out and saying "there are exactly 103 stages in the game", after all they could have just said "over 100" if they were still gonna add more.

But yes, I know. Sakurai implied he wouldn't carry on doing Smash after Melee, Brawl, and 4. You can never be too sure with him.