By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Octopath Traveler ships 1 million units (Digital included)

outlawauron said:
Mar1217 said:

I hope we'll go back to a reversal in the market shifts so that these kind of games can get published/developped more often.

These mid-tier/B-tier games have never stopped being made. They're just on other platforms.

Can you list 10 out of the last 3 years, not counting exclusives made by first party studios?



Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
outlawauron said:

These mid-tier/B-tier games have never stopped being made. They're just on other platforms.

Can you list 10 out of the last 3 years, not counting exclusives made by first party studios?

Absolutely! They're primarily done by the mid-tier Japanese developers with Sega, Koei Tecmo, and Namco Bandai.

Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6
The Atelier series (all 3 that have been released in the past 3 years)
Blue Reflection
Tokyo Xanadu
Mad Max
DanganRonpa v3
Toukiden 2
Digimon World
Shining Resonance
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
World of Final Fantasy
Star Ocean 5
Tales of Berseria
Nino kuni II
Hellblade
Vampyr

You can really expand the pool by looking into some of the PC only stuff, where Paradox, Creative Assembly, etc. release lots of new games. Also:
Pillars of Eternity
Warhammer: Vermintide
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Of course, some of those you might debate (and I tried to leave some more borderline ones out like Monster Hunter and . Yakuza is close to a higher tier but I've never viewed it as a AAA title. I tried to not include a lot of mid-tier Vita/3DS games from the end of their lives because the list would just be too long. I know there's a lot more out there, I just looked through games I bought.



"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I believe that if we made a sales graph of this cliff, it would be shaped like a gentle, downward slope.



outlawauron said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Can you list 10 out of the last 3 years, not counting exclusives made by first party studios?

Absolutely! They're primarily done by the mid-tier Japanese developers with Sega, Koei Tecmo, and Namco Bandai.

Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6
The Atelier series (all 3 that have been released in the past 3 years)
Blue Reflection
Tokyo Xanadu
Mad Max
DanganRonpa v3
Toukiden 2
Digimon World
Shining Resonance
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
World of Final Fantasy
Star Ocean 5
Tales of Berseria
Nino kuni II
Hellblade
Vampyr

You can really expand the pool by looking into some of the PC only stuff, where Paradox, Creative Assembly, etc. release lots of new games. Also:
Pillars of Eternity
Warhammer: Vermintide
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Of course, some of those you might debate (and I tried to leave some more borderline ones out like Monster Hunter and . Yakuza is close to a higher tier but I've never viewed it as a AAA title. I tried to not include a lot of mid-tier Vita/3DS games from the end of their lives because the list would just be too long. I know there's a lot more out there, I just looked through games I bought.

Yeah, band you probably see the problem also: There's not one game from a big western Publisher. They ditched them since they don't need them anymore to pad out quarterly results, instead relying on DLC and Microtransactions for those (and earning ore for much less effort). When the Japanese Publishers start to make that shift too, mid-tier releases will become a very rare breed, especially on consoles.

And yeah, I'd consider Yakuza more or less AAA by now.



Bofferbrauer2 said:
outlawauron said:

Absolutely! They're primarily done by the mid-tier Japanese developers with Sega, Koei Tecmo, and Namco Bandai.

Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6
The Atelier series (all 3 that have been released in the past 3 years)
Blue Reflection
Tokyo Xanadu
Mad Max
DanganRonpa v3
Toukiden 2
Digimon World
Shining Resonance
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
World of Final Fantasy
Star Ocean 5
Tales of Berseria
Nino kuni II
Hellblade
Vampyr

You can really expand the pool by looking into some of the PC only stuff, where Paradox, Creative Assembly, etc. release lots of new games. Also:
Pillars of Eternity
Warhammer: Vermintide
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Of course, some of those you might debate (and I tried to leave some more borderline ones out like Monster Hunter and . Yakuza is close to a higher tier but I've never viewed it as a AAA title. I tried to not include a lot of mid-tier Vita/3DS games from the end of their lives because the list would just be too long. I know there's a lot more out there, I just looked through games I bought.

Yeah, band you probably see the problem also: There's not one game from a big western Publisher. They ditched them since they don't need them anymore to pad out quarterly results, instead relying on DLC and Microtransactions for those (and earning ore for much less effort). When the Japanese Publishers start to make that shift too, mid-tier releases will become a very rare breed, especially on consoles.

And yeah, I'd consider Yakuza more or less AAA by now.

Mad Max was Warner Brothers, but your point is largely true. The only major western publisher that will do smaller titles are first party. You do see EA, Ubisoft, and Activision working with indie developers relatively often, but those are still indie games.

and I'm not quite there. Yakuza looks nice, but it's not super big budget and has been very successful selling hundreds of thousands, not millions.



"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Can you list 10 out of the last 3 years, not counting exclusives made by first party studios?

Absolutely! They're primarily done by the mid-tier Japanese developers with Sega, Koei Tecmo, and Namco Bandai.

Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6
The Atelier series (all 3 that have been released in the past 3 years)
Blue Reflection
Tokyo Xanadu
Mad Max
DanganRonpa v3
Toukiden 2
Digimon World
Shining Resonance
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
World of Final Fantasy
Star Ocean 5
Tales of Berseria
Nino kuni II
Hellblade
Vampyr

You can really expand the pool by looking into some of the PC only stuff, where Paradox, Creative Assembly, etc. release lots of new games. Also:
Pillars of Eternity
Warhammer: Vermintide
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Of course, some of those you might debate (and I tried to leave some more borderline ones out like Monster Hunter and . Yakuza is close to a higher tier but I've never viewed it as a AAA title. I tried to not include a lot of mid-tier Vita/3DS games from the end of their lives because the list would just be too long. I know there's a lot more out there, I just looked through games I bought.

I wouldnt call any of the bolded a mid tier game. Also, Hellblade is a weird case, I saw someone at a news outlet coin that game a AAA-indie game and it kind of makes sense.. and considerint the studio now is Microsoft owned and we know that means higher budgets for sure..  and is Yakuza really mid tier these days?



Mbolibombo said:
outlawauron said:

Absolutely! They're primarily done by the mid-tier Japanese developers with Sega, Koei Tecmo, and Namco Bandai.

Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6
The Atelier series (all 3 that have been released in the past 3 years)
Blue Reflection
Tokyo Xanadu
Mad Max
DanganRonpa v3
Toukiden 2
Digimon World
Shining Resonance
God Eater 2: Rage Burst
World of Final Fantasy
Star Ocean 5
Tales of Berseria
Nino kuni II
Hellblade
Vampyr

You can really expand the pool by looking into some of the PC only stuff, where Paradox, Creative Assembly, etc. release lots of new games. Also:
Pillars of Eternity
Warhammer: Vermintide
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Of course, some of those you might debate (and I tried to leave some more borderline ones out like Monster Hunter and . Yakuza is close to a higher tier but I've never viewed it as a AAA title. I tried to not include a lot of mid-tier Vita/3DS games from the end of their lives because the list would just be too long. I know there's a lot more out there, I just looked through games I bought.

I wouldnt call any of the bolded a mid tier game. Also, Hellblade is a weird case, I saw someone at a news outlet coin that game a AAA-indie game and it kind of makes sense.. and considerint the studio now is Microsoft owned and we know that means higher budgets for sure..  and is Yakuza really mid tier these days?

Why not? They're not AAA and made by a respected (but smaller developer). If a game can be profitable from a few hundred thousand, it's not a AAA game. Hellblade isn't close to AAA, the game wasn't even priced at $60 .

Although, this is getting pretty off topic and I'll stop going on this tangent.



"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Well deserved. The game is so good.
Currently on the chapter 4. I liked the 8 character but I have my favorites:

Cyrus
Phili
Prim
Alfyn
Therion



Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile


Pavolink said:
Well deserved. The game is so good.
Currently on the chapter 4. I liked the 8 character but I have my favorites:

Cyrus
Phili
Prim
Alfyn
Therion

I think Therion is my favourite character, close second is Olberic. Whenever I look at his artwork, I think it's Liam Neeson.