By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Modern Beat 'Em Ups?

Charlie Murder was a notable release.

Thats the only game I can think of that has not been mentioned.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Kenka Bancho

Yakuza, I consider them 3D beat em ups.

Knights of Valour 3 seems decent. Good luck finding an arcade, though.

Mr Puggsly said:
Charlie Murder was a notable release.

Thats the only game I can think of that has not been mentioned.

What's it for?

HomokHarcos said:
Yakuza, I consider them 3D beat em ups.

I thought they were sandbox games like GTA.

Around the Network

Hopefully the king returns next year with BattleToads.. but id agree Castle Crashers is a fine game.

Azzanation said:
Hopefully the king returns next year with BattleToads.. but id agree Castle Crashers is a fine game.

I just hope the new dev taking on BattleToads knows what they're doing, and that they make it more like the arcade game, because that's pretty much the best BattleToads.

Here's a question

Hack N Slash or Beat 'em up?
This game seems to fit the hack n slash genre more, but is typically classified as a beat em up. The same can be said about the TMNT franchise, it's classified as beat em ups.

Part of how I see the difference is hack n slash games are typically overhead while beat em ups are typically sidescrollers. When we get into 3D territory, this whole paradigm is out the window.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Spindel said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't see a meaningful distinction between them.

Of course this comes down to opinions in the end, but to me there is a distinction and they feel different. There are many ”weapon based” beat em ups (golden axe, DnD:Shadow over Mystra, TNMT to name a few).

I think that, at least for me, one distinction between what I consider a HnS compared to BeU is the amount of enemies you can engage at once with normal attcks. Most of the games I consider HnS you regurlarly hit hordes of enemies at once. In BeUs you hit one or two at a time and maybe you can throw an enemy at another one once in a while, this regardless of how many enemies there are on the screen.

Octopath Traveller and Final Fantasy 15 are generally considered part of the same genre.  So are Smash Bros. and Street Fighter V.  Or Donkey Kong Country and Mega Man X.  

Those games have differences that are way bigger than what you're describing.  Doesn't seem like those are enough to call it a whole separate genre.

CaptainExplosion said:
Azzanation said:

I just hope the new dev taking on BattleToads knows what they're doing, and that they make it more like the arcade game, because that's pretty much the best BattleToads.

I am hoping BattleToads becomes the next Cuphead, But with classic BattleToads gameplay with the usual brutal difficulty with an art style that matches.