Forums - Movies Discussion - Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

shikamaru317 said:
melbye said:
Sorry for dragging up an old topic, but i didn't think it warranted a new thread
https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-gunn-reinstated-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-disney-suicide-squad-2-indefensible-social-media-messages-1202576444/

Again we see as long as someone is one the "correct" side of the political spectrum everything will eventually be forgiven

Ugh, Disney double standard. They fired Roseanne over a single racist joke, then killed her character off the show so that she could never return. James Gunn makes tons of pedophillic jokes over the course of 5 years, and they hire him back just because they can't find anybody else to direct the movie. 

This is why the left ends up winning so much more often in the end when it comes to the little things. The right will lightly back another righty when it comes to normal everyday things, where as the left will form an army and back another lefty to a degree where they will one way or another force things to go their way. It's a slimy yet effective tactic they have and while it sucks, it's the rights fault for allowing it to happen, or at least not countering it. The right aren't weak either, it just takes much bigger issues for them to unite.



Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
melbye said:
Sorry for dragging up an old topic, but i didn't think it warranted a new thread
https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-gunn-reinstated-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-disney-suicide-squad-2-indefensible-social-media-messages-1202576444/

Again we see as long as someone is one the "correct" side of the political spectrum everything will eventually be forgiven

Ugh, Disney double standard. They fired Roseanne over a single racist joke, then killed her character off the show so that she could never return. James Gunn makes tons of pedophillic jokes over the course of 5 years, and they hire him back just because they can't find anybody else to direct the movie. 

Selective memory much? 

They fired Roseanne after a lifetime of repeated terrible racist behaviour, not 'one single racist joke'. Her entire persona revolved around that shit and the 'single joke' was less that and more 'one joke too far'. Furthermore, Gunn's tweets from half a decade ago (Actually more but the exact date is irrelevant) are in the past while her behaviour is ongoing. 

Another example of people trying to equate such disparate situations in order to devalue one or the other. 



shikamaru317 said:
mZuzek said:

Making bad jokes is not ground for firing somebody, but racism is quite a bit beyond that. I'm not sure about the Roseanne situation cause I didn't even know who she was prior to the James Gunn situation, and I couldn't care less, but I don't think firing her over what she said and when she said it is absurd. Maybe an overreaction, yeah, but not quite absurd, which the James Gunn firing was.

So racist jokes are somehow worse than pedophillic jokes then? What a world we live in. 

Is English not your first language or something? 

mZuzek said making jokes is not grounds for firing but racism is. One is a joke, one is for real. James Gunn is not a pedophile. Roseanne Barr is a racist. WORLD of difference. 

Also, it needs to be addressed, there's a HUGE difference between good offensive humour and bad offensive humour. admittedly both what Roseanne did and what James Gunn did were bad examples of offensive humour, but there's a huge difference between good offensive humour and bad offensive humour. Comedy is not being compromised, political correctness is not ruining the art, people are just more attuned to the difference between what's actually meanspirited vs what's actually funny but offensive. 

Take Jim Jeffries; he does great offensive humour. Some of the stuff he says is vile but it's clearly humour and he makes it clear this is a persona or a joke due to the levels of absurdism and the clever setup and payoff to his jokes. Contrast that with casual mentioning of baking jews in an oven or raping children and you'll see the difference between tact and tactless. 

Honestly, I hate to give the troll RolStoppable credit but that joke he made about how Racism was about hate and Pedophilia is about love? THAT is a good joke...because as twisted as it is, it's technically true. It makes you think, it makes you do a double take (And since inflection isn't available on a message board he made sure to be clear to let people know this was a joke), and therefore it's funny. It's offensive, but it's a well-established and set-up joke. THAT is the difference. 



Alara317 said:
shikamaru317 said:

So racist jokes are somehow worse than pedophillic jokes then? What a world we live in. 

Is English not your first language or something? 

mZuzek said making jokes is not grounds for firing but racism is. One is a joke, one is for real. James Gunn is not a pedophile. Roseanne Barr is a racist. WORLD of difference. 

Also, it needs to be addressed, there's a HUGE difference between good offensive humour and bad offensive humour. admittedly both what Roseanne did and what James Gunn did were bad examples of offensive humour, but there's a huge difference between good offensive humour and bad offensive humour. Comedy is not being compromised, political correctness is not ruining the art, people are just more attuned to the difference between what's actually meanspirited vs what's actually funny but offensive. 

Take Jim Jeffries; he does great offensive humour. Some of the stuff he says is vile but it's clearly humour and he makes it clear this is a persona or a joke due to the levels of absurdism and the clever setup and payoff to his jokes. Contrast that with casual mentioning of baking jews in an oven or raping children and you'll see the difference between tact and tactless. 

Honestly, I hate to give the troll RolStoppable credit but that joke he made about how Racism was about hate and Pedophilia is about love? THAT is a good joke...because as twisted as it is, it's technically true. It makes you think, it makes you do a double take (And since inflection isn't available on a message board he made sure to be clear to let people know this was a joke), and therefore it's funny. It's offensive, but it's a well-established and set-up joke. THAT is the difference. 

So if a racist joke is made, and it's clearly a joke, what happens? If jokes are acceptable but racism isn't, what's the proper outcome?

People aren't more attuned, their less tolerant because their allowed to be. People's feelings are subjective. There is no one right way to feel about every single thing.

I don't find him very funny. Here and there he hits the mark. Samantha Bee, now she's hilarious... not.

The joke is edgy I'll give you and them that. I also don't disagree about it being technically true, but a point that should be made is that there are people in the world who literally love to hate. I used to work with a guy who was really rough around the edges who had a horrible childhood and he loved to hate on everything. He'd even say out loud at times "I love it", after he bashed something or someone. Now he wasn't all that much fun to be around but he was actually fairly intelligent and a damn good worker so people just dealt with it. Does the fact he loved to hate make it any less of a problem because his feelings were involved?



EricHiggin said:
shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, Disney double standard. They fired Roseanne over a single racist joke, then killed her character off the show so that she could never return. James Gunn makes tons of pedophillic jokes over the course of 5 years, and they hire him back just because they can't find anybody else to direct the movie. 

This is why the left ends up winning so much more often in the end when it comes to the little things. The right will lightly back another righty when it comes to normal everyday things, where as the left will form an army and back another lefty to a degree where they will one way or another force things to go their way. It's a slimy yet effective tactic they have and while it sucks, it's the rights fault for allowing it to happen, or at least not countering it. The right aren't weak either, it just takes much bigger issues for them to unite.

Stop putting politics in everything, holy shit. No one cares about left vs. right. Fucking no one. This is a movie director being hired to work on a film, not some fucking political wars. And even if it was, you shouldn't treat politics like you do your average sports competition.



Around the Network
Alara317 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, Disney double standard. They fired Roseanne over a single racist joke, then killed her character off the show so that she could never return. James Gunn makes tons of pedophillic jokes over the course of 5 years, and they hire him back just because they can't find anybody else to direct the movie. 

Selective memory much? 

They fired Roseanne after a lifetime of repeated terrible racist behaviour, not 'one single racist joke'. Her entire persona revolved around that shit and the 'single joke' was less that and more 'one joke too far'. Furthermore, Gunn's tweets from half a decade ago (Actually more but the exact date is irrelevant) are in the past while her behaviour is ongoing. 

Another example of people trying to equate such disparate situations in order to devalue one or the other. 

"They fired Roseanne after a lifetime of repeated terrible racist behaviour"

examples?

 

"Roseanne Barr is a racist. "

she has said explicitly that she's not

 

"Some of the stuff he says is vile but it's clearly humour and he makes it clear this is a persona or a joke due to the levels of absurdism and the clever setup and payoff to his jokes."

so you sincerely don't think that this was a joke?

Last edited by o_O.Q - on 15 March 2019

RolStoppable said:
shikamaru317 said:

So racist jokes are somehow worse than pedophillic jokes then? What a world we live in. 

Racism is about hate. Pedophilia is about love. That's the decisive difference.

That's a joke in case somebody is not 100% sure. 

what the fuck?



mZuzek said:
EricHiggin said:

This is why the left ends up winning so much more often in the end when it comes to the little things. The right will lightly back another righty when it comes to normal everyday things, where as the left will form an army and back another lefty to a degree where they will one way or another force things to go their way. It's a slimy yet effective tactic they have and while it sucks, it's the rights fault for allowing it to happen, or at least not countering it. The right aren't weak either, it just takes much bigger issues for them to unite.

Stop putting politics in everything, holy shit. No one cares about left vs. right. Fucking no one. This is a movie director being hired to work on a film, not some fucking political wars. And even if it was, you shouldn't treat politics like you do your average sports competition.

I guess it depends on whether or not things like racism are political in anyway, since that's why she was fired, or whether or not people get fired for political reasons. I also just made a point. I wasn't cheering for either side like some competition. I just said what the left and right will do in a general situation, since this was initially politically motivated, by both sides. I'm not sure where you got the idea this was a competition. Do I have to point out that the right can also play dirty at times, even though that doesn't really have anything to do with the particular scenario? You seem to think bringing things into the conversation that aren't directly tied to it is a bad thing, so.

"And even if it was".



Directing Suicide Squad 2 and will be back for GotG3 - damn, thats a nice twist of fate.



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

Couldn’t see that coming a mile away. Disney had to look like they were addressing the issue. No wonder Gunn was so silent all this time. Good news though none the less.

Last edited by mushroomboy5 - on 15 March 2019