By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Runa216 said:

Honestly, gaming discourse is just so exhausting some times. Now I'm getting into arguments about people saying Sonic Frontiers is better than both God of War and Elden Ring, while other people are saying God of War 'plays itself' or is 'barely more than an interactive movie'. I just. I can't anymore, guys. These arguments are so bad I don't even begin to know where to start. Dealing with gamers is so exhausting; way too much of the community is toxic as hell. 

PotentHerbs said:

Tried out Returnal for a few hours.

It's definitely one of the most difficult games I've played in a while. The gameplay is smooth, the dodging and traversal feel great, but the haptic feedback is absolutely masterful. I think its one of the few games that surpass Astro's Playroom when it comes to utilizing the controller.

Yeah, and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is real good, too! 

Those people are truly morons. They probably can't clear a single boss on above balanced settings.

Sonic Frontier is winning more likely for troll purposes, but people ask to have the voice of gamers award to have more weight.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Runa216 said:

Honestly, gaming discourse is just so exhausting some times. Now I'm getting into arguments about people saying Sonic Frontiers is better than both God of War and Elden Ring, while other people are saying God of War 'plays itself' or is 'barely more than an interactive movie'. I just. I can't anymore, guys. These arguments are so bad I don't even begin to know where to start. Dealing with gamers is so exhausting; way too much of the community is toxic as hell. 

Yeah, and Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is real good, too! 

The "Sony games are movies" is just baseless console warring, when you come across it just move on.

There is nothing else you can do, just leave them be.

Gná, like Sigrún during GoW4, was one of the most challenging battles I've faced on a game, including the Souls series.

I can only remember that damn Darklurker on Dark Souls 2 giving me similar trouble (haven't touched Sekiro or Elden Ring yet, tho). And it was one of the most unfair fights I've ever came across on a game, lol.

Its not console people saying it. Just Sonic fans judging from his post.

@Ruler Hardcore fandoms of pretty much anything can be very toxic. Sometimes its better to just say your piece and move on as the is no way to change their minds.

Unreal Engine 5 (Fortnite Chapter 4) reminding me once again that this may be the biggest generational gap since PS1 to PS2. Nanite + Lumen are absolutely ridiculous and surprisingly efficient. I think Silent Hill 2 Remake will prove to be the best looking video game at the time of its release, especially if its supposed PC minimum requirements are to be believed.

Unless top studios' engines have an answer to Nanite soon, their games are about to get easily outshone by current gen AAA UE5 games taking advantage of Nanite, Lumen, and TSR.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting the feeling that UE5 is way ahead of everything else atm. If other in-house engines don't catch up soon, I hope their developers do what CD Projekt Red is doing and just switch to UE5 for the time being.

zero129 said:
BraLoD said:

The "Sony games are movies" is just baseless console warring, when you come across it just move on.

There is nothing else you can do, just leave them be.

Gná, like Sigrún during GoW4, was one of the most challenging battles I've faced on a game, including the Souls series.

I can only remember that damn Darklurker on Dark Souls 2 giving me similar trouble (haven't touched Sekiro or Elden Ring yet, tho). And it was one of the most unfair fights I've ever came across on a game, lol.

@Ruler Hardcore fandoms of pretty much anything can be very toxic. Sometimes its better to just say your piece and move on as the is no way to change their minds.

The Sonic being better than God of War/Elden Ring people were delusional sonic fans. 

The "Sony games play themselves" nonsense was exclusively coming from Xbox fan accounts on twitter. I'm just not allowed to callout fanboy nonsense on this forum because the F-word gets me banned. But seriously, I can't even go on twitter without seeing this absurdity, it's prevalent and the people who push it are so aggressive about it. I block 90% of them but there's always more. even when I just say something like 'man God of war was so good', I get 'what part about it? the part where you watch a movie for 40 hours? nah, pass'. Or 'that hand-holdy game that does everything for you? No, I'll play a real game'. Or what about the lovely 'oh, that game nobody's talking about less than a month after release? I'll go play Halo Infinite, because a year later it's still relevant'

All three of those are actual arguments people had with me on twitter. Actual points people made trying to devalue what god of War has done and is doing. all absolutely absurd, and shit like that is the reason I get so angry about this console war nonsense. They have no arguments so they make them up based on nothing or their own twisted logic. 

Correcting them on their false claims and clownish discourse is so exhausting. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

We don't want "fanboy" getting thrown around, for a few reasons. We don't want discussions to devolve into name calling, and we don't want other fans to feel like they're being attacked.  

On the topic at hand, I feel like it started becoming a "claim" when Uncharted 2 or so came out. It is a very silly claim. All of these games have rather compelling gameplay, even if someone doesn't like them. And they can be quite difficult on the higher difficulties.

It was a very silly claim for games like Uncharted 2, because the success that game had technologically is that it made a lot of the experience as gameplay instead of a cutscene. The player is in control on the train and the player is in control when the building collapses. Which hasn't been done that many times before.

Another silly claim is the one that all of Sony's games are the same. Which I think there's a strong need for more diversity that they used to have. But it's kind of silly.

Like "third person", "action adventure", "cinematic", or "it has trees".

Most games are third person. "Action adventure" is a very broad genre. 

Some of these descriptions describe the output of most publishers. It doesn't really mean as much as people think.

PotentHerbs said:

Tried out Returnal for a few hours.

It's definitely one of the most difficult games I've played in a while. The gameplay is smooth, the dodging and traversal feel great, but the haptic feedback is absolutely masterful. I think its one of the few games that surpass Astro's Playroom when it comes to utilizing the controller.

It got great, but not earth shattering reviews. Despite that, it seems to be a strong favorite on ResetEra for 2021.

It was a Game of the Year for quite a few people I saw.

I think it had gotten some very strong updates/DLC. 

Around the Network

It's always laughable when I hear/read "all PlayStation games are the same." While there are certain "checkmarks" you would say when it comes to Sony's titles, such as Action-Adventure, Third-Person, or Open World, you're going to get a completely different experience. Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima have the 3 the aspects I mentioned, but are they the same? Of course not lol.

Sony has certainly mastered a specific genre of games, but I would like to see them flex the numerous creative muscles they have. There are definite outliers such as Gran Turismo and Sackboy, but I'm a big FPS, RPG, and Strategy fan, and currently, those genres are amongst Sony's weaker first-party offerings.

I beat Horizon: Zero Dawn earlier this year and as much as I enjoyed the story, combat, and graphics, the RPG aspect was very weak. I picked up Forbidden West over the week of Black Friday, so it'll be the title I end the year on. I'm looking forward to it and seeing if Guerilla was able to make improvements in that aspect.

I love the games Sony puts out, and I'm hoping they are able to broaden the genres of games that they make. There's a reason why whenever a major first-party game on PlayStation is released, the gaming world takes notice in a major way.

I'm excited for tomorrow

Runa216 said:
zero129 said:

The Sonic being better than God of War/Elden Ring people were delusional sonic fans. 

The "Sony games play themselves" nonsense was exclusively coming from Xbox fan accounts on twitter. I'm just not allowed to callout fanboy nonsense on this forum because the F-word gets me banned. But seriously, I can't even go on twitter without seeing this absurdity, it's prevalent and the people who push it are so aggressive about it. I block 90% of them but there's always more. even when I just say something like 'man God of war was so good', I get 'what part about it? the part where you watch a movie for 40 hours? nah, pass'. Or 'that hand-holdy game that does everything for you? No, I'll play a real game'. Or what about the lovely 'oh, that game nobody's talking about less than a month after release? I'll go play Halo Infinite, because a year later it's still relevant'

All three of those are actual arguments people had with me on twitter. Actual points people made trying to devalue what god of War has done and is doing. all absolutely absurd, and shit like that is the reason I get so angry about this console war nonsense. They have no arguments so they make them up based on nothing or their own twisted logic. 

Correcting them on their false claims and clownish discourse is so exhausting. 

Maybe your interacting with the wrong people on twitter?.

gtotheunit91 said:

It's always laughable when I hear/read "all PlayStation games are the same." While there are certain "checkmarks" you would say when it comes to Sony's titles, such as Action-Adventure, Third-Person, or Open World, you're going to get a completely different experience. Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima have the 3 the aspects I mentioned, but are they the same? Of course not lol.

Sony has certainly mastered a specific genre of games, but I would like to see them flex the numerous creative muscles they have. There are definite outliers such as Gran Turismo and Sackboy, but I'm a big FPS, RPG, and Strategy fan, and currently, those genres are amongst Sony's weaker first-party offerings.

I beat Horizon: Zero Dawn earlier this year and as much as I enjoyed the story, combat, and graphics, the RPG aspect was very weak. I picked up Forbidden West over the week of Black Friday, so it'll be the title I end the year on. I'm looking forward to it and seeing if Guerilla was able to make improvements in that aspect.

I love the games Sony puts out, and I'm hoping they are able to broaden the genres of games that they make. There's a reason why whenever a major first-party game on PlayStation is released, the gaming world takes notice in a major way.

You could even throw cinematic, story driven and a few other similarities in there but when playing both games they don't feel alike at all.

Regarding more diversity I would certainly appreciate that as well, I do love and think Sony improved the overall quality of their titles on PS4 but that came at the expense of cutting a lot of the smaller niche titles (like Puppeteer), they still have some (like Sackboy you listed, Astro room, Dreams and whatnot), but I would like to see they opening more studios in more regions (like 2 in South America - Brazil and some other country here, 1 or 2 in Africa, perhaps even 3 in Europe on countries that we don't have any know big studios, 1 in Oceania and 2 in Asia - outside of Japan and China, plus increase the japan studio) they could all be size of A or AA studios at first to let them mature, that would give them a lot of diversity on the type of game and possibly even on themes as well while not competing for talent against other big publishers on markets that have little talents available right now.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Breakdown of the new TLOU show trailer:

Cool to see cameos from the original Joel and Ellie.