By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

You know, with the recent advent of being able to store your PS5 games on your external drives now,,,I went ahead and got an 8TB hard drive. I figure that will easily last me the entire duration of the generation.

All of my PS4 games fit on a 4 TB drive with 800GB to spare, I'm not buying a lot more PS4 games anymore, and PS5 games are compressed better. I have every reason to believe that, unless I go hog-wild with the PS5 games (unlikely since I'm not as financially stable as I was in the PS4 era), I have no doubt that this single drive will last me the entire duration of the PS5's life cycle.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Nice, thats a good solution. 8TB will surely be enough for PS4 games and storing PS5 during its lifetime. You can just switch PS5 games on your current playlist and transfer onto the main SSD. Tbh 5GB of space should be more than enough for now considering games are barely getting any bigger due to better compression.

I still have only a 512GB external flash drive (USB 3.1) for PS4 games but I plan on getting an internal as soon as its NVMe support is available. Might even pick up a HDD at some point as 512GB is so smol and pitiful lol.

Last edited by hinch - on 06 May 2021

hinch said:

TSMC says they are going to move on and produce 6nm PS5's APU's in mid/late 2022. This is largely no doubt due to the massive shortages thanks to over demand for the 7nm process (next gen consoles APU's, AMD CPU's and GPU's).

[Suppliers including foundry TSMC are expected to kick off production for the redesign of Sony's PlayStation 5 (PS5) games console between the second and third quarters of 2022, according to industry sources.]

Digitimes

[ As noted by Kantan Games analyst Dr. Serkan Toto, DigiTimes’ supply chain sources say the redesigned PS5 will come with a “new semi-customized” 6nm CPU from AMD, which will be cheaper than the 5nm one currently used.

It’s likely the redesign is purely components-focused and won’t feature any significant external changes. ]

- VideoGamesCronicle

Moving to another node to relieve production issues is pretty much needed rn. Demand way outstrip supply.. But yeah, will be interesting if they cut costs on other things like cooling, since its going to be running on a more efficient node.

Would be odd to see no reduction on the console if they reduce the node. 2 years in the system is kinda enough for they to do the semi-slim.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

6nm won't be enough of a efficiency jump to offer a full redesign, like a slim. This sounds a lot like a revision (changing nodes) to work around current supply issues and also save on cost.

Maybe once they move onto 5nm or 3 Sony will release a Slim model.

hinch said:

6nm won't be enough of a efficiency jump to offer a full redesign, like a slim. This sounds a lot like a revision (changing nodes) to work around current supply issues and also save on cost.

Maybe once they move onto 5nm or 3 Sony will release a Slim model.

That is why I said semi. The visual can be the same but a tad smaller. That also save costs on shipping.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Would cost them a bunch in R&D and engineering on top of internal testings for an unsubstantial node shift, don't see it happening tbh. A new, more efficient revision is way more likely like we've seen in previous PS console releases. Think Mariko revision of the Nintendo Switch.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance trailer released for all current consoles (PS4, PS5, XSX and Switch)

Quite excited for this re-release!

Last edited by hinch - on 06 May 2021

hinch said:

Would cost them a bunch in R&D for an unsubstantial node shift, don't see it happening tbh

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance trailer released for all current consoles (PS4, PS5, XSX and Switch)

Quite excited for this re-release!

Same here. I won't have to hook up my old hardware to re-experience it.  And now a widescreen experience!

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Nice. I still have a PS2 and a copy of the game as well lol. But yeah this is quite awesome, HD'fied and widescreen can't wait to replay it in all its glory.

I remember having so much fun with this on co-op. Dual-wielding with elemental weapons and a lot of save scumming xD

hinch said:

Nice. I still have a PS2 and a copy of the game as well lol. But yeah this is quite awesome, HD'fied and widescreen can't wait to replay it in all its glory.

I remember having so much fun with this on co-op. Dual-wielding with elemental weapons and a lot of save scumming xD

Just need part 2 now and both the Champions of Norrath games and I'll be happy.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Some new trailer soon ? Can't wait !