By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

twintail said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Sony is very rapidly picking up the pace with their endeavors on PC! It started out pretty slow the first couple of years, then suddenly they're starting to fire on all cylinders. You had:

Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition

Days Gone
Predator: Hunting Grounds

God of War
Spider-Man Remastered
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
Spider-Man: Miles Morales

With that kind of momentum, I wouldn't be surprised if 2023 looks more like
The Last of Us Part I
The Last of Us Part II
The Last of Us multiplayer game
Returnal
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Ghost of Tsushima
Demon's Souls
Then just as a bonus throw in possibility: Dreams

Once 2024 rolls around, that's when I would be expecting the heavily rumored launcher would drop as well as more recent titles such as

Horizon: Forbidden West
Gran Turismo 7
God of War: Ragnarok

Once the back catalog has been ported to PC, I have no idea what could possibly happen lol. Would Sony just allow super long dry spells of first party releases on PC or would they eventually allow day in date releases?

i think Sackboy or Returnal are this year. i also think that releases are going to be spaced out so that there aren't long dry spells, so to speak. 

There's no reason for them to do Day 1 anytime soon either, I feel. They get extended social media presence this way, like Spider-Man being talked about again with the upcoming PC release of MM. 

Just my 2 cents though. 

Yeah, I don't think Day 1 releases would be happening at least for another several years. There's still a lot of games Sony would be working on. I didn't even think about Returnal or Sackboy being released this year with Uncharted next month and Miles Morales still slated for this Fall. That would be a nice surprise!

I edited my previous comment, but Nixxes so far has shown to be extremely competent in porting to PC. Not even a year and a half after acquisition and they will have ported both Spider-Man games! That is incredibly efficient timing for both games. Not just that, but at least Spider-Man RM was a top tier PC port, and I'm completely expecting Miles Morales would be the same. Nixxes no doubt would be providing their expertise on PC ports to other studios Sony is partnering with, so I wonder if it might become a problem of having ports ready too quickly  which would be a good problem to have. 

Around the Network
twintail said:

Must be all those returns that someone on twitter was claiming occured because of MS buying Acti and Acti not respecting its fanbase.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bandorr said:
DonFerrari said:

Must be all those returns that someone on twitter was claiming occured because of MS buying Acti and Acti not respecting its fanbase.

I don't understand this comment.

There was a troll on twitter claiming he called Sony to cancel his preorder of MW, and that the Sony rep said a lot of people were calling to do the same. And he was saying that was because company wasn't following customer desires (not clear if Sony or Acti) so mass cancel was going on. So that is why you can find a special edition available to buy =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Bandorr said:

I don't understand this comment.

There was a troll on twitter claiming he called Sony to cancel his preorder of MW, and that the Sony rep said a lot of people were calling to do the same. And he was saying that was because company wasn't following customer desires (not clear if Sony or Acti) so mass cancel was going on. So that is why you can find a special edition available to buy =p

Well with MS owning AB soon, and COD being on Game Pass day 1, Sony would be smart to bundle COD. Makes it an easier sell to keep those gamers on PS.

I would argue that Sony should've gone $549 though. Getting as many COD gamers locked into a PS5 asap would be a smart idea. The longer a consumer like that isn't locked in, the more likely they'll find out it's basically free with Game Pass and it's a much more difficult sell by that point. If COD does bring in a massive audience to Game Pass, Sony might have to try a $529 bundle eventually depending on things play out.

Kyuu said:
Kyuu said:

It's coinciding the price hike in Japan. Hopefully it's the 6nm model and production volumes enter a new phase.

6nm confirmed!

https://www.angstronomics.com/p/ps5-refresh-oberon-plus

I believe the PS5 Slim leak said the hardware would pretty much be the same as the 1200, but in a smaller case, by holiday 2023.

Sony just needs to rearrange the components to fit the new case. I'd assume that means the heatsink design will also change quite a bit.

Makes sense the 1200 has the 6nm APU then, and very unlikely they'll drop to 5nm for the Slim by next year already.

Around the Network
VersusEvil said:

It took awhile but finished Stray, I'm not really fond of speedrun trophies but this was pretty doable (2hrs) got it in 1hr23. Overall a pretty solid, great looking indie.

One of the best puzzle/platformers I've ever played, just below Portal 2, but the speed run trophy put me off from attaining the platinum. They are absolutely vile lol!

The Last of Us could very well be Sony's most important franchise going forward.

ConservagameR said:
DonFerrari said:

Well with MS owning AB soon, and COD being on Game Pass day 1, Sony would be smart to bundle COD. Makes it an easier sell to keep those gamers on PS.

I would argue that Sony should've gone $549 though. Getting as many COD gamers locked into a PS5 asap would be a smart idea. The longer a consumer like that isn't locked in, the more likely they'll find out it's basically free with Game Pass and it's a much more difficult sell by that point. If COD does bring in a massive audience to Game Pass, Sony might have to try a $529 bundle eventually depending on things play out.

Counterbalancing the increase of HW price with discounted SW bundled would be good step.

Kyuu said:

If Sony expect Microsoft to soon (3-5 years) take CoD off Playstation, then they should adapt asap by relying less on CoD. No CoD bundles vs more 1st party bundles would be a nice start, PS5's will sell out regardless. There are contracts in place which I hope are the reason why these bundles exist.

Personally, the idea of CoD skipping Playstation excites me, because I can't stand this franchise and want it to decline and disappear from Playstation shows lol. But more importantly, anything that forces Sony to up their game is at least partially a good thing in my book. They're sweating buckets at the thought of CoD leaving Playstation which you gotta admit is hilarious, if maybe just an act to hinder Microsoft's progress and come out with favorable terms. It's been amusing how both MS and Sony act all helpless before regulators.

Sony: "CoD is water. WATER IS LIFE!!!! The gamer deserves to live and we're pro gamer/life!!!"

MS: "Sony No. 1 we just No. 5!! CoD is not all that relevant I swear!! Zenimax/Bethesda acquisition didn't move the needle!! HELP!!!"

Getting away from COD entirely would be more of a long term goal. Dropping COD asap would be leaving way too much on the table right now.

Sony needs a replacement of some sort. Doesn't need to be quite a knock off, but could, yet similar enough it can draw from that audience.

They could maybe work more closely with EA and Dice to better Battlefield, while also helping market it to high heaven for PS5. Though that wouldn't solve the COD problem because it's too different, in a good way, yet would only be a start.

Sony along with Bungie could at the same time, work on a COD like new IP, but we probably wouldn't see it until PS6. I'd say ride what they can from COD for the next few years, while also slowly walking away from it with Battlefield, with a first party COD competitor to come next gen.

Kyuu said:
ConservagameR said:

I believe the PS5 Slim leak said the hardware would pretty much be the same as the 1200, but in a smaller case, by holiday 2023.

Sony just needs to rearrange the components to fit the new case. I'd assume that means the heatsink design will also change quite a bit.

Makes sense the 1200 has the 6nm APU then, and very unlikely they'll drop to 5nm for the Slim by next year already.

The good news is supply will most likely considerably improve in the coming months. I can see the 2023 revision being slightly smaller but I don't know if it will be a proper "slim" version.

I tend to agree. The wavy case shape itself makes it harder to be and look slim. If they flattened it out some that would help, but wouldn't be as true to the original.

I kinda doubt the 1200 power supply is shrunk down, and is probably the same as prior, so that should be able to be downsized a bit. The heatsink also should be able to be redesigned, even if just the layout, to make it more compact. They could always shrink the fan size a bit, but then they're quite likely to need higher RPM's leading to the fan making a little bit more noise. The PS5 is pretty darn quiet right now though, so a little more noise wouldn't be a big deal.

Removing the disc drive would also help a bit. If they can make it so it's an add on, so it slides right on the end of the console, so it matches the case design and just lengthens it, that would pretty neat. What you would end up with in that situation would probably be something as tall as the PS5 now standing up, but not near as deep, front to back. As for width, it's hard to say how much slimmer they could actually make it vs the original.

The other way I could see them going, is making it like the PS3 Slim, where it wasn't all that long but was quite deep front to back. This allowed them to slim it down enough to be noticeable. They could still tack an add on disc drive on the end that way as well.

ConservagameR said:
Kyuu said:

If Sony expect Microsoft to soon (3-5 years) take CoD off Playstation, then they should adapt asap by relying less on CoD. No CoD bundles vs more 1st party bundles would be a nice start, PS5's will sell out regardless. There are contracts in place which I hope are the reason why these bundles exist.

Personally, the idea of CoD skipping Playstation excites me, because I can't stand this franchise and want it to decline and disappear from Playstation shows lol. But more importantly, anything that forces Sony to up their game is at least partially a good thing in my book. They're sweating buckets at the thought of CoD leaving Playstation which you gotta admit is hilarious, if maybe just an act to hinder Microsoft's progress and come out with favorable terms. It's been amusing how both MS and Sony act all helpless before regulators.

Sony: "CoD is water. WATER IS LIFE!!!! The gamer deserves to live and we're pro gamer/life!!!"

MS: "Sony No. 1 we just No. 5!! CoD is not all that relevant I swear!! Zenimax/Bethesda acquisition didn't move the needle!! HELP!!!"

Getting away from COD entirely would be more of a long term goal. Dropping COD asap would be leaving way too much on the table right now.

Sony needs a replacement of some sort. Doesn't need to be quite a knock off, but could, yet similar enough it can draw from that audience.

They could maybe work more closely with EA and Dice to better Battlefield, while also helping market it to high heaven for PS5. Though that wouldn't solve the COD problem because it's too different, in a good way, yet would only be a start.

Sony along with Bungie could at the same time, work on a COD like new IP, but we probably wouldn't see it until PS6. I'd say ride what they can from COD for the next few years, while also slowly walking away from it with Battlefield, with a first party COD competitor to come next gen.

Kyuu said:

The good news is supply will most likely considerably improve in the coming months. I can see the 2023 revision being slightly smaller but I don't know if it will be a proper "slim" version.

I tend to agree. The wavy case shape itself makes it harder to be and look slim. If they flattened it out some that would help, but wouldn't be as true to the original.

I kinda doubt the 1200 power supply is shrunk down, and is probably the same as prior, so that should be able to be downsized a bit. The heatsink also should be able to be redesigned, even if just the layout, to make it more compact. They could always shrink the fan size a bit, but then they're quite likely to need higher RPM's leading to the fan making a little bit more noise. The PS5 is pretty darn quiet right now though, so a little more noise wouldn't be a big deal.

Removing the disc drive would also help a bit. If they can make it so it's an add on, so it slides right on the end of the console, so it matches the case design and just lengthens it, that would pretty neat. What you would end up with in that situation would probably be something as tall as the PS5 now standing up, but not near as deep, front to back. As for width, it's hard to say how much slimmer they could actually make it vs the original.

The other way I could see them going, is making it like the PS3 Slim, where it wasn't all that long but was quite deep front to back. This allowed them to slim it down enough to be noticeable. They could still tack an add on disc drive on the end that way as well.

They could go for a squarelike design to ensure they keep minimum total size in dependence of the fan, plus since they are making the chip smaller and more efficient with smaller PS there will be less heat generated so smaller fan perhaps at same RPM, at most perhaps putting a little more money on the heatsink and whatnot.