By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

DonFerrari said: 
The Jab Jim gave was using specific words to be dismissive of what MS was doing (saying like MS is throwing away indiscriminate money around to buy studios) while Sony is being smart by building their studios and winning prizes as sales.

The point of discussion was basically he saying that Sony don't have money to buy studios and was outbid by MS (for the first we know Sony have enough to buy the studios MS bought, perhaps ZeniMax would be a hard approval, and for the second there isn't any evidence that Sony tried to buy those studios or that these studios said they wanted to be bought).

You're right. There isn't any evidence that Sonys was interested in acquiring Zenimax. And it would indeed differ quite a lot from their usual buyouts.

Though I do think coolbeans has a point in that Sony probably won't restrain themselves from buying 3rd parties if it makes sense business wise.
And IF both Microsoft and Sony were to bid on a company like Zenimax, Sony obviously would have a hard time matching Microsoft's war chest.

Around the Network

Looks like Black Ops Cold War has a minimum of 285GB of storage for the #PS5

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Activision wanting COD to be the only game people play

Replicant said:
DonFerrari said: 
The Jab Jim gave was using specific words to be dismissive of what MS was doing (saying like MS is throwing away indiscriminate money around to buy studios) while Sony is being smart by building their studios and winning prizes as sales.

The point of discussion was basically he saying that Sony don't have money to buy studios and was outbid by MS (for the first we know Sony have enough to buy the studios MS bought, perhaps ZeniMax would be a hard approval, and for the second there isn't any evidence that Sony tried to buy those studios or that these studios said they wanted to be bought).

You're right. There isn't any evidence that Sonys was interested in acquiring Zenimax. And it would indeed differ quite a lot from their usual buyouts.

Though I do think coolbeans has a point in that Sony probably won't restrain themselves from buying 3rd parties if it makes sense business wise.
And IF both Microsoft and Sony were to bid on a company like Zenimax, Sony obviously would have a hard time matching Microsoft's war chest.

Well I think that's fundamentally it. Financially and strategically a buyout like that doesn't seem like a good fit for Sony.

It makes sense for MS who are going multiplatform with their software, abandoning the need for traditional hardware and shifting their efforts to streaming.

Do companies not negotiate for the rights to enter into exclusive talks to buyout a company, giving time to broker a deal so other companies can't counter offer? I don't think(but correct me if I'm wrong) that's it's simply like going to an auction.

Replicant said:
DonFerrari said: 

Yep, buying insomniac and interviews with they saying they are looking to buy other devs it is certain that they can buy other 3rd parties (and Jim didn't say they wouldn't buy other devs, just said they look from organically instead of indiscriminate buyouts).

Captain_Yuri said:

That is humungous, thanks god I don't intend to buy it.

coolbeans said:
DonFerrari said:

And you say I'm the one moving goal posts? I said it was unlikely that they were bidding for the same companies (yes MS and Sony), so the ones that MS bought there was no hint that Sony even tried to offer anything and same for Insomniac there is no sign that MS tried. You countered saying that companies were saying they wanted to be bought, which wasn't true for any of the afore mentioned companies and then you presented a company that first Sony wasn't listed among the ones that were interested in buying it and second decided not to sell. So your evidence doesn't really support your claim.

You said ZeniMax announced they were wishing to be purchased, so if you don't have any evidence of that them it is just you making speculation.

So all in all, you don't have any evidence that Sony tried to buy any of these companies and were outbid by MS, nor you can even prove that Sony strategy isn't doing organically growth.

Yeah, and I'm still within reason.  Right, but my response back to that came about how you could reach that belief in the face of this ZeniMax acquisition.  Especially with what you've previously said in your last comment, it seems like you get the gist of what I'm saying: "If a big publisher with well-established IPs is communicating they're willing to be purchased, the bigger players are going to come to see if they've got a shot."  Not to mention that this actually is true in respect to ZeniMax; Providence Equity Partners vocally communicated an interest in selling back in 2016.  This isn't something I'm drawing out of a hat.

So all in all, I made a probabilistic claim (In all likelihood...) based on what seems like standard procedure for these *BIG* type of acquisitions and I didn't make this strawman you've now randomly accused me of saying.  Seriously?  I figured we were past that 'organically grown' part after I'd detailed my point 2 responses back and you not going any further in your previous response.

I may bow out of this particular topic b/c I respect Replicant's comment on this too.  I just don't appreciate the disingenuous claim you finished with.

Sure we can stop the discussion.

Dallinor said:
Replicant said:

Well I think that's fundamentally it. Financially and strategically a buyout like that doesn't seem like a good fit for Sony.

It makes sense for MS who are going multiplatform with their software, abandoning the need for traditional hardware and shifting their efforts to streaming.

Do companies not negotiate for the rights to enter into exclusive talks to buyout a company, giving time to broker a deal so other companies can't counter offer? I don't think(but correct me if I'm wrong) that's it's simply like going to an auction.

Companies sign NDA so they can't disclose, discuss or anything related to the negotiation to any other company, person, etc (which prevents biding war and interferences) so I don't think they also sign saying they won't negotiate with any other company at the same time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Dallinor said: 

Exactly. Sony buying Zenimax would be far from their modus operandi which has always been to acquire smaller partners. Makes much more sense for Microsoft.

Dallinor said: 

AT&T has recently tried to sell both WB Games and Crunchyroll. With WB Games, it seemed like bidding was open for a range of different companies while with Crunchyroll, Sony has obtained the exclusive right to negotiate.

I guess that no company was interested in paying anywhere near the $4b that AT&T wanted for WB Games and thus no company entered exclusive negotiations?

Last edited by Replicant - on 04 November 2020

Next week, Target will have a B2G1 deal in the US (link).

That's neat. If you're buying 2 launch games, you might as well pick a 3rd for free.

@Bandorr Good point. Better wait till you've seen what games they have before cancelling existing preorders.

11 seconds to boot. I'm not even sure my TV will be ready in that time.

So RedGamingTech has a new video up with a undisclosed developer on the PS5 indepth specs. Take with a grain of salt and more of a rumour until we have Sony come out and state more technical details. His source comes from someone who supposedly has a PS5 dev kit.

Big info dump from the Youtuber, don't take as gospel.. more like a rumour :P

• No large cache on board but has cache coherency to offset lower memory bandwidth - not infinity cache though should give comparable results. IC on silicon will also offset narrower bus in the APU somewhat, its a "priority and need basis"
  • Zen 2 CPU but with 8MB shared L3 Cache - akin to Zen 3 shared CCX design
  • Low level 8-bit and 4-bit integer operation support. Essentially can be used for machine learning. We kind of know this since AMD's Big Navi announcement with features like Super Resolution which is destined for both PC and consoles
  • GPU frequency can throttle down to 2100Mhz under very CPU intensive workloads - though this very rare and will be at full speed most of the time as per Mark Cerny technical breakdown
  • Geometry Engine is built into the APU in-house and totally custom by Sony. Optional for the developers to use, however its being encouraged to be used from Sony to developers; with documentation and demos.
    • Not many launch games use or leverage the GE in the first wave, likely will see more developers use it in the PS5's 2nd year or even 3rd year (for third parties especially)
    • Will be good for VR and open world games
    • Sony's implementation puts GE earlier in the pipeline using primitive shaders (hardware based vs 'Paul cuts out') or their equivalent of mesh shaders in RDNA2. Essentially Sony's implementation culls polys earlier in the process which saves a tonne in performance and offers more options in programmability of polygons and vertices. Also has VRR, which again is the same, by being done earlier in the process gives devs more control. Gripe is that harder to utilize over DX's equivalent/s for both and will take devs a while to understand and effectively use GE.
Last edited by hinch - on 05 November 2020