By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

DonFerrari said:

Welcome to the new studio and the girl leading it seems to be very good at opening and establishing new studios and teams So I Would say it is a very good addition to Sony since I rather they open more studios or foster smaller ones than to buy publishers.

I hope they do both honestly. In this age of consolidation, and with how Sony is positioned financially, they would be handicapping themselves if they don't buy any publishers. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

Welcome to the new studio and the girl leading it seems to be very good at opening and establishing new studios and teams So I Would say it is a very good addition to Sony since I rather they open more studios or foster smaller ones than to buy publishers.

I hope they do both honestly. In this age of consolidation, and with how Sony is positioned financially, they would be handicapping themselves if they don't buy any publishers. 

Buying stablished multiplat publishers cost to much and likely unworthy of doing it, for the price of one Activision Sony could buy like 10 big studios =p plus buying those multipat publishers don't really bring us more games, it either makes sony money when keeping multiplat or removes games from someone else to try and promote console sales but not new games. Now with new studios or making smaller ones become Sony WWS level we earn more games.

axumblade said:
DonFerrari said:

I didn’t even think to look up Jade Raymond but it looks like she’s got some good credentials. I’m not sure how I feel since it does seem like she’s potentially working on a GaaS but I’ll hold my judgment until I actually see the game

Well I don't care much about the game she is making (yes not into GaaS as well), but well Sony needs diversity of portfolio and who knows, maybe Jade can move up the latter just like Hermen and be the person they use to create new studios, promote smaller ones, etc. Also I prefer they buy Bungie and Jade's studio for GaaS than make their current one move to GaaS (except MLB and GT7 as sport games are a good match to GaaS, maybe even better than yearly releases or so).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

the-pi-guy said:

DonFerrari said:

Buying stablished multiplat publishers cost to much and likely unworthy of doing it, for the price of one Activision Sony could buy like 10 big studios =p plus buying those multipat publishers don't really bring us more games, it either makes sony money when keeping multiplat or removes games from someone else to try and promote console sales but not new games. Now with new studios or making smaller ones become Sony WWS level we earn more games.

Well I don't care much about the game she is making (yes not into GaaS as well), but well Sony needs diversity of portfolio and who knows, maybe Jade can move up the latter just like Hermen and be the person they use to create new studios, promote smaller ones, etc. Also I prefer they buy Bungie and Jade's studio for GaaS than make their current one move to GaaS (except MLB and GT7 as sport games are a good match to GaaS, maybe even better than yearly releases or so).

They could buy 300 Insomniac Games for 1 Activision.

A new AAA game every week of the year lol 

the great thing about Sony games/exclusives is that if you don't like a genre or style, you can play something else. Their strength is their diversity.

And no I don't wanna hear this 'they're all third person action games' because, like...The Last of Us and Spider-Man are vastly different from one another. Ratchet & Clank vs God of War is a battle of opposites.

But like, if you go down their list of exclusives there's not a LOT of overlap. some, but not much. so, like, it's not like a brand that sells itself almost entirely on Shooters. so when sony says 'we're going to do some Games as a Service', I just think 'eh' and move on. Because even if I don't care about their service models, They still give me enough to do. IT's not like it's going to be all they put out. So yeah, uh, I'm rambling. Point is simple. I'm not as bothered by Sony doing it because they still do all the stuff I like, and a lot of variety.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

twintail said:

Sony's own studios will also be doing GaaS.

ND has Factions coming up.

Sucker Punch already had GoT Legends, which will surely be expanded upon in future games.

Insomniac has an MP game (or mode) in development, and they have dabbled in various game types over the last decade.

I think as long as Sony keeps up the narrative SP games, than it'll be fine. I actually theorised that Sony would move more into Co-op: this keeps their games SP narrative driven while allowing players to play together (ps plus and mtx like additions would be thrown into the mix).

Anyways, I think it's exciting. GaaS isn't automatically bad, but I'm not a fan of the 'no end' nature of many of them.

These are modes on their games, not the focus of those studios. And yes I would welcome more co-op games, several of the narrative games from Sony could have 2 co-op, like TLOU, UC, GoW and others keeping the same structure (and sure some portions without co-op because it is just exploration/platforming and changes to co-op could prevent the single player).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
twintail said:

Sony's own studios will also be doing GaaS.

ND has Factions coming up.

Sucker Punch already had GoT Legends, which will surely be expanded upon in future games.

Insomniac has an MP game (or mode) in development, and they have dabbled in various game types over the last decade.

I think as long as Sony keeps up the narrative SP games, than it'll be fine. I actually theorised that Sony would move more into Co-op: this keeps their games SP narrative driven while allowing players to play together (ps plus and mtx like additions would be thrown into the mix).

Anyways, I think it's exciting. GaaS isn't automatically bad, but I'm not a fan of the 'no end' nature of many of them.

They'll definitely make plenty of both.  

>I'm not a fan of the 'no end' nature of many of them.

I would say that's the defining factor for what makes a game live service. 

DonFerrari said:

These are modes on their games, not the focus of those studios. 

No, and yes.  

These things aren't "the focus" of their studios, but they're not just modes. 

Naughty Dog has 3 games in the works, one of which is Factions 2. And it won't be just a mode for TLOU 2.  

Insomniac likely has 3 games in development, one of which seems to be a multiplayer game. They've been hiring for leads for it, so I don't believe that it's just a mode. 

Sony said they're releasing 10 live service games, so likely:

- Bungie might have a game or 2.

- Factions

- Haven's game

- Arrowhead's game

- Sony London

- Firewalk's game

- Deviation's game

- Insomniacs multiplayer title

- GT7 might count

Gotcha, makes sense. In the case of Insomniac seems more like they are creating a new team for it right. And for ND they are likely increasing the core team that made Faction for TLOU and the MP for UC and may be an additional team inside them. Well let's see what will come from it

I got a PS5 a couple of days ago. I gave it blue faceplates. The only PS5 game I own is Blackwind a mech game but currently playing Stranger in Paradise as I got a free upgrade for owning the PS4 version. I'm going to put SEGA Saturn stickers on it because I always put SEGA stickers on my systems. Astro was fun. UI feels like a downgrade from PS4. Whisper quiet system. Hyped about the Ascent coming to it. I want to buy GOTG for PS5. I will get an SSD later but they are so pricey I have to wait for now. Oh and another console without folders. C'mon Sony! Still enjoying it. Hopefully lasts a long long time.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

SegaHeart said:

I want Amy Henning to comeback to Sony , She can still make Games like Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver again .

Yep, she deserves her own studio and we deserve a spiritual sucessor or Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver.

I wish the Ascent was out next week. Really excited to try it on PS5. I pre-ordered the Cyber Edition. Also just got every artifact in Astro's playroom.I don't have nostalgia for the PS brand but that was a neat thing. I still have a lot of that stuff for real lol.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!