By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

the-pi-guy said:

That seems like it'd be hugely expensive for not a lot of gain.

CDP -> market cap of 4.5 billion

Square Enix -> market cap of 6.3 billion

At one point CDP had a market cap of like 12 billion. So that 4.5 is the discounted rate.

That seems like a lot of money for basically The Witcher, a PC storefront that they might not even want, and a very problematic game (Cyberpunk). I could see them doing it for a WRPG studio, but I really feel like there are better places to go with it.

I think there were a couple of parts as to why Sony pushed so hard on Bungie, they have one of the bigger games as a service models, and Sony is putting out 10 live service games, additionally Bungie has had a fair amount of prestige. 

I don't think CDP adds as much as Bungie does for Sony's current plans, and I think there are better options.

I think its worth it simply because of the discounted rate. I mean, I can see why Sony is willing to acquire Bungie for a bit of a premium, but I think CDPR is an attractive buy for them too. 

The Witcher 3 is huge, selling nearly 30+ Million units, and is one of the few RPG's that could outsell any of Bethesda's top tier IP's. Would automatically be bigger than most of Sony's tentpole games outside of SpiderMan & maybe God of War. Add on its many multimedia adaptations & its another IP that benefits Sony Pictures. Even a problematic game like Cyberpunk, which sold bucket loads in its first week despite all the controversy, could rebound extremely well with Playstation's "seal of quality" with its PS5/Series X versions.

Also, I feel like most of CDPR's problems could be fixed, and Sony is one of the few platform holders that can do it. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
the-pi-guy said:

That seems like it'd be hugely expensive for not a lot of gain.

CDP -> market cap of 4.5 billion

Square Enix -> market cap of 6.3 billion

At one point CDP had a market cap of like 12 billion. So that 4.5 is the discounted rate.

That seems like a lot of money for basically The Witcher, a PC storefront that they might not even want, and a very problematic game (Cyberpunk). I could see them doing it for a WRPG studio, but I really feel like there are better places to go with it.

I think there were a couple of parts as to why Sony pushed so hard on Bungie, they have one of the bigger games as a service models, and Sony is putting out 10 live service games, additionally Bungie has had a fair amount of prestige. 

I don't think CDP adds as much as Bungie does for Sony's current plans, and I think there are better options.

I think its worth it simply because of the discounted rate. I mean, I can see why Sony is willing to acquire Bungie for a bit of a premium, but I think CDPR is an attractive buy for them too. 

The Witcher 3 is huge, selling nearly 30+ Million units, and is one of the few RPG's that could outsell any of Bethesda's top tier IP's. Would automatically be bigger than most of Sony's tentpole games outside of SpiderMan & maybe God of War. Add on its many multimedia adaptations & its another IP that benefits Sony Pictures. Even a problematic game like Cyberpunk, which sold bucket loads in its first week despite all the controversy, could rebound extremely well with Playstation's "seal of quality" with its PS5/Series X versions.

Also, I feel like most of CDPR's problems could be fixed, and Sony is one of the few platform holders that can do it. 

CDPR issues are mostly management, so as long as Sony cleans up upper management or put governance practices it can already bring them to value, and buying for like 50% less is better than 100% more.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Apparently Gamereactor has heard about a massive gaming deal almost being completed, backing up Geoff Keighley's statement yesterday, coming off the heels where Jim Ryan stated to "expect more acquisitions," and Playstation still has many moves to make. This is being said when SIE has added almost 4B+ in development teams throughout the fiscal year. I doubt Microsoft goes for any other publisher until the Activision Blizzard deal goes through so its extremely likely Sony is ready to make some big moves.

the-pi-guy said:
PotentHerbs said:

I just really think that's a lot of money for basically The Witcher.

The IP bit, I'm not exactly sure how that works. CDP bought some rights to The Witcher. But the games are not related to the TV show, or the books. That might limit what they can actually do with the IP. They apparently were able to make some comic books.

PotentHerbs said:

Apparently Gamereactor has heard about a massive gaming deal almost being completed, backing up Geoff Keighley's statement yesterday, coming off the heels where Jim Ryan stated to "expect more acquisitions," and Playstation still has many moves to make. This is being said when SIE has added almost 4B+ in development teams throughout the fiscal year. I doubt Microsoft goes for any other publisher until the Activision Blizzard deal goes through so its extremely likely Sony is ready to make some big moves.

Sony likely had a few deals in the works in case Bungie fell through. 

So they're likely to have something else.

But I have a hard time believing that someone knows about acquisitions, considering how basically all of them were announced with no heads up.

People want to believe that there is biding war going on, even though no company really knows for sure which company each is going against and how much they are offering. Because as you said, no real leak comes on, it is just "several big deals" and whatnot. Nothing concrete is leaking at all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

PotentHerbs said:
EricHiggin said:

If SNY had the means to acquire Take Two, for say, $25 to $30 billion, however they would pay for it, would that be a better or worse buy than CDPR?

CDPR would be quite a bit more risky, though cheaper. TT would be more solid, but far more expensive.

Based on what the plan is supposedly for Bungie, TT would fit that same formula nicely.

Depends on whether or not Bungie was a one off or a new branch out.

It would 100% be a better buy than CDPR despite the cost. Take Two would singlehandedly counter the Activision Blizzard purchase. On top of that, it fills a lot of boxes for SIE, with their IP, live service games, and mobile publishing.

It's the one acquisition that Sony would be willing to go all in for, IMO. 

I agree, though if SNY were to go all in on a TT type deal, then they likely would end up in a similar position as MS where they won't be making any more purchases for the next year or two. Maybe the odd tiny one here and there but that would probably be the extent of it.

It's hard to say if SNY would want to put themselves in that position. They would have the quality and name recognition taken care of, but would that be better than buying a whole bunch of studios and IP for billions each and worry more about offering quantity instead?

Probably depends on how likely it is that TT may get bought up by someone else. If SNY wanted to keep Bungie within reach, I'd guess they'd do the same if TT was likely to be whisked away.

Around the Network

EricHiggin said:
PotentHerbs said:

It would 100% be a better buy than CDPR despite the cost. Take Two would singlehandedly counter the Activision Blizzard purchase. On top of that, it fills a lot of boxes for SIE, with their IP, live service games, and mobile publishing.

It's the one acquisition that Sony would be willing to go all in for, IMO. 

I agree, though if SNY were to go all in on a TT type deal, then they likely would end up in a similar position as MS where they won't be making any more purchases for the next year or two. Maybe the odd tiny one here and there but that would probably be the extent of it.

It's hard to say if SNY would want to put themselves in that position. They would have the quality and name recognition taken care of, but would that be better than buying a whole bunch of studios and IP for billions each and worry more about offering quantity instead?

Probably depends on how likely it is that TT may get bought up by someone else. If SNY wanted to keep Bungie within reach, I'd guess they'd do the same if TT was likely to be whisked away.

I`m not much into Sony getting Take Two, most of their games although selling well and reviewing fine aren`t the games I`m most into, besides the part of removing multiplatform content from other places they were before. But from a business perspective it would likely be a good acquisition.

Apparently, Sony has already spent 7.4B of its allocated budget, which includes deals that haven't been made public yet.

So they have another 3.8B deal that is yet to be revealed. Who would fall in this price range? The only one that comes to mind is Sega. Maybe Capcom or Konami if Bungie is listed as a 2.4B acquisition and Sony accounts the 1.2B for their employees under something else?

People here talking about Playstation will buy this and that... my chips are on Capcom or/and Koei, my "dream" (I prefer then free, but i rather then with Sony than MS/Tensent/Nintendo) is Sony and Kadokawa getting together and becoming Fromsoftware Mommy and Daddy.

congratulations, i take off my hat. Did not believe Switch selling 100M. I predicted a maximum of 90-95M (a little above 3DS), but I see that the Nintendo machine remains strong and reaching marks above +130M is a reality for the future