By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Installed the drive into the PS5 and seems to work with no issues. My Western Digital SN850 (1TB) was rated at 6544MBs read speed.

To test write, I transferred Control (25GB) from my internal to the NVMe and it took around 25 seconds, which isn't too bad :o I did previously update the firmware of the SSD on my PC just in case, and these things do run hot at around 40C idle (in my desktop) which will surely be higher in such a small enclosed slot, so don't skimp on the heatsink! Additionally, you get the full capacity of the drive so no wasted space. In my case its 1000GB formatted for use.

Will test a game or two but presumably will be the same as playing on internal storage.

Last edited by hinch - on 06 August 2021

Around the Network

Iirc NVMe's only draw only several watts of power (think around 8-9w) so its not likely to make any difference in ambient temps on the internals on the PS5. Gen4 drives do run hot under intense loads and can imagine in hotter climates it can get quite toasty in there. At least this has some sort of active cooling (small air vents on the side near the main fan) and I'd imagine if it become too much they'll boost fan speeds, if needed. Tbh I don't think there's anything to be concerned about so long as you're not running the SSD naked with no heatsink.

About games I tried Control and it runs as it should. Don't think it loads any faster or slower than running the game on an SSD. Now to install more games!

I'm so ready for GoT DC.

CloudxTifa said:

I'm so ready for GoT DC.

you and me both! I am struggling and forcing myself to finish Crash Bandicoot as part of n-Sane Trilogy. It's a bad game. No idea how this was a success. I am hating every second of this, unlike Mario 64 which I always thought was overrated but enjoyed replaying. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
CloudxTifa said:

I'm so ready for GoT DC.

you and me both! I am struggling and forcing myself to finish Crash Bandicoot as part of n-Sane Trilogy. It's a bad game. No idea how this was a success. I am hating every second of this, unlike Mario 64 which I always thought was overrated but enjoyed replaying. 

I can say I didn't get much into Crash on PS1 nor on the remake... but Spyro remake I really liked. Well I also liked Jak and Dexter. I guess the reason I didn't liked Crash as much as the other titles is because it is to much arcade design made to have you dying over and over again.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Tales of Arise demo for the 18th August !

Far Cry 6 is 4K/60fps + HD textures and fast loading on PS5.

Last edited by CloudxTifa - on 10 August 2021

CloudxTifa said:

Tales of Arise demo for the 18th August !

Far Cry 6 is 4K/60fps + HD textures and fast loading on PS5.

Haven't bought a single far cry, but played some through PS+ so this is good, their game is reasonably enjoyable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Runa216 said:
CloudxTifa said:

I'm so ready for GoT DC.

Yeah, I downloaded it but quickly knew that this game is just a product of its time and moved on.

Spyro on the other hand aged nicely. A bit too simple but some nice level design & the flow of navigation/spearing/flaming enemies still feels satisfying to this day

DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

I can say I didn't get much into Crash on PS1 nor on the remake... but Spyro remake I really liked. Well I also liked Jak and Dexter. I guess the reason I didn't liked Crash as much as the other titles is because it is to much arcade design made to have you dying over and over again.

Same! The Spyro games held up remarkably well and I enjoyed them enough to finish all three in succession, getting the (admittedly easy) platinum trophies! Crash, I can't get past the half way mark of the first game. Just clunky and annoying. Well, I did beat Koala Kong, so maybe I'm further into the game than I thought?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

Same! The Spyro games held up remarkably well and I enjoyed them enough to finish all three in succession, getting the (admittedly easy) platinum trophies! Crash, I can't get past the half way mark of the first game. Just clunky and annoying. Well, I did beat Koala Kong, so maybe I'm further into the game than I thought?

If I tried I possibly could get Crash platinum, but certainly it would be a giant time dump and well the game didn`t click for me. I guess they should have changed more for a remake and make it really modern standard. Probably the new one achieves it (although I haven`t played it).