By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Runa216 said:
Conina said:

I don't enjoy games based on letting the player die over and over again, so no Demon's Souls and Returnal for me.

But I bought these four games today, €146 in total (buy 2 get 3):

And I'm also looking forward to play Astro's Playroom, since Astro Bot is my second favorite VR game.

I am an irrational level of happy for you right now. All of those games are good to great, and that deal on Miles morales/remastered is one of the best deals in gaming today. Ratchet & Clank is just pure fun from beginning to end, and while I never got into Sackbow, I hear it's a shockingly good coop game if you're into that. Those games plus Astro's Playroom (Which is maybe one of the biggest and best surprises of the new generation in terms of just how charming it is) is a lot of fun and a genuinely good if simple game on its own. 

IT has been a great first year for PS5. 

^this

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

My copy of Demon's Souls isn't loading for some reason and it's starting to get under my skin. all my other PS5 games boot up immediately, but when I boot up Demon's Souls Remake it gets stuck on the startup screen.

I have already deleted/uninstalled the game and redownloaded it from scratch, so what could the problem be? I'm a little frustrated. Fortunately I'm not currently looking to play it through again so I'm not missing out on much, but I do check to make sure my games work every now and then and it has been doing this for weeks. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Am currently going through this page's recommendations: https://seekingtech.com/demons-souls-not-loading-heres-how-you-can-fix-this-error/#:~:text=If%20the%20game%20still%20won,is%20to%20delete%20the%20game. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

DF goes over Ratchet's new 40fps mode.

Pretty remarkable how close it feels to a full 60 in practice despite what you would expect on paper. Feels like the best compromise between quality and performance for console games. Definitely eager to try it whenever I upgrade to a 120hz tv myself. Hope to see more games support this mode in the future.

TallSilhouette said:

Pretty remarkable how close it feels to a full 60 in practice despite what you would expect on paper. Feels like the best compromise between quality and performance for console games. Definitely eager to try it whenever I upgrade to a 120hz tv myself. Hope to see more games support this mode in the future.

Its a shame 120hz wasn't a default alongside the 4k TV shift that started back in 2016. I'm not buying a new TV anytime soon so I will for sure be waiting til next gen before i make use of such a features

Otter said:
TallSilhouette said:

Its a shame 120hz wasn't a default alongside the 4k TV shift that started back in 2016. I'm not buying a new TV anytime soon so I will for sure be waiting til next gen before i make use of such a features

Because becoming a standard would make every tv more expensive, even for people that doesn't mind 120hz and would be happy paying less for a 60hz.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Has anyone else played the Nioh games? I got them on PS4 and I got the remastered versions on PS5...and I'm not enjoying the first one at all. First time I played them on Ps4, I got to only the fourth or fifth boss before moving on and finding it grossly too difficult for me. Since then, I've gone back, I've gotten platinum on Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, All three Dark Souls games (including the second one, which I didn't enjoy either), and Sekiro. So I know I don't suck at these games. So I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong or what I'm not understanding about Nioh.

The reviews for the game have been pretty consistently great, the gamers and reviewers and youtube personalities I tend to trust all say it's the best of the non-souls Soulslikes, that everything about it is awesome...so why am I not enjoying myself?

With Souls (Which will be a filler term for all the abovementioned fromsoft Soulslikes, including Bloodborne and Sekiro), I always got the impression that the games were designed with balance in mind. Yeah,t he games were always tough as hell and you could die with a single mistake, but they were always fair. The world was balanced. The enemies could stun lock you, but you could stun lock them. You had stamina, and they had stamina. IF you did get hit, there was usually a brisk moment where you could block or dodge or something. It was and always has been a matter of 'this game will demand the most of you, but for every mistake there is a chance to learn and correct yourself' (Except Dark souls II, but we'll get there.)

But with Nioh so far, I don't feel that way. No matter how hard I hit the enemies, they rarely stagger. Despite pumping loads into my ki (Stamina bar) I run out of energy for attacks remarkably quickly and sometimes it takes forever to get it back. enemies can attack through your attack 90% of the time, most of their attacks have shoddy hitboxes and hit you even if you're well out of range, there are no tells or wind-ups, and way too many enemies have horizontal attacks that sweep all around them so getting in behind them does nothing. I can't block and pick my hits because blocking reduces my stamina so quickly I get staggered and stunned almost every time. I can't be speedy and dodge around because dodging in this game doesn't seem to work. I can't block or parry or simply position myself because enemies have ridiculous range and hitboxes.

No strategy seems to be working in general. I try using different stances, different weapons, different gameplay styles, and all manner of different approaches. I try almost all different attacks on every enemy, and it seems no matter what I do it's mostly luck that I seem to progress. My first thought, with how quickly my stamina depletes, is that my carry load is too high. But nope! I'm only at like 70% stamina load. And when I equip the nioh armor set, which gives you a bonus, I'm still only at 90% stamina load. Even with this equip, enemies are 2-3 shotting me, bosses can kill me in a single combo, and like I said before there's little to no tells to warn you of what 's coming or feedback to let you realize you're getting hit.

Oh, and dodging just does not work in this game. If you're being attacked and want to dodge or dash out of there...it just doesn't work. Nothing happens. Even if I have nearly full stamina, I can never seem to dodge away from attacks. I try dodging through attacks to maximize my i-frames, I still get it. I try to dodge backwards, same deal. I try to dodge around to behind them, and I still get hit because almost all of their attacks are sweeping horizontal attacks. I try to utilize the ki-pulse mechnic (press R1 at the end of a combo to instantly regain all the stamina you used), but it doesn't seem to work with any consistency. sometimes it works flawlessly and I can decimate an enemy with ease. Other times, it doesn't give me any stamina back and I end up getting stun-staggered. I have been stuck in the same cave for three hours now, doing the same run, with the same timing every time, and there seems to be no consistency to the performance of the game's mechanics.

No i-frames, I don't seem to understand the 124026457474354 different stats in the game, there's no consistency with the loot grind (I just keep collecting shit that is useless), I can't even go into my menus and understand what an accessory does (it doesn't have a description and no button gives me a description.) and no matter what I do I'm just not doing much damage and am getting absolutely destroyed. Hell, just regular enemies take like, 5 full combos to kill. Not a 5-hit combo, but a full 5 or 6 hit combo 5 or 6 times in a row, and SOMETIMEs that'll kill them, other times that only takes half their health. all in all, I just find this game tedius and unfair. you know, the same bullshit arguments people say about Dark Souls that are absolutely not true.

So what am I missing here? I thought maybe I just wasn't playing it right, in much the same way I Tried playing Sekiro like a souls game when that had its own rhythm and style...but no matter what I do or how I try to approach a situation I'm not getting any better. I don't feel I've overcome anything or learned anything, I feel like I just got lucky. This game has so far not been fun, it's just been frustrating. IT feels to me like how I imagine most people feel when they first play Dark Souls before they understand the game. you know, unfair bullshit that nobody could possibly like. So what am I missing here? Is there some philosophy or gameplay mechanic I've not yet figured out? I know the games are considered great, but for the life of me I'm just not seeing it.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

I think that's what gets to me, everyone I know say Nioh is amazing and the youtubers I watch all say it's great! It feels like it should be right up my alley but every time I pick it up I only get a few bosses in before giving up.

any idea what it is I'm missing? You both seem to have really enjoyed the game and say it gets great once it 'clicks', but like, any way I can help the click happen faster? I want to like it! I want to like them both!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

twintail said:

I just platinum'd The Last Guardian. The game was equal measures a wonder to play and just straight up infuriating.

Damn you have patience. The controls absolutely destroyed my interest in the game from the a few hours I put into it. Gz tho!

Yeah I mean I can play games with bad controls but fumbling while directly Trico was not a fun experience for me. I might try again at some point and get through that because I loved Ico and SOTC.

yeah, I played through both stories and got 80% trophies without hunting for them. Loved the game but that other stuff is a grind for the sake of it. Anyway, I got in a real mecha mood so I fired up Gundam Breaker 3 on PS4.. Always loved this game but man does my PS4 hate it. It wants to fly the fan is so loud. Maybe makes the game more immersive, I imagine operating a mech would sound like that. :P

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!