By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Otter said:
EricHiggin said:

Well folks, here you have it. Free though? WTF SNY? LOL. I mean, hard to complain here, but $10 to upgrade from the PS4 Standard Edition to PS5 would have sufficed. Now most who know and care about the free upgrade will likely buy the PS4 version, besides the hardcore perhaps. Assuming SNY can easily eat this financial loss it looks good on them, but they didn't have to do a full 180.

Glad to see going forward they will be using the $10 upgrade path though. That makes way too much sense for those who don't want the extra's and don't want to be forced into full digital copies. Buy a PS4 (hard) copy, and even if you didn't realize there was an upgrade available, now you can easily just pay the $10 fee down the road and get all the PS5 goodness.

The question for me now, is due to a little negativity towards the $10 upgrade path earlier with GOT, did SNY purposely go too far here? That way the $10 upgrade option now makes way more sense, in which they could revert to like they have? Maybe, maybe not, but they made the right moves in the end anyway.

Lots of options for everyone from the Standard Editions to the top of the stack now for HFW, and all exclusive cross gen games going forward. Nice!

Side note. Now wasn't there a thread not to long ago about blind loyalty to corporations as well as another about GOT and how terrible the upgrade path was? I remember making the point about how many gamers, including myself, would call out SNY when they've gone too far and that SNY would likely listen. Mostly since the fans aren't complaining about everything all the time, just when things go too far or just don't make sense period. This HFW situation is the perfect example of how SNY is clearly willing to be reasonable with fans and consumers, mega corporation or not.

I think in this instance they had to make it free because its what they already promised back in 2020. I don't think sony should be praised for keeping their word only after being called out on lying to consumers. Its not reasonable IMO, its the bare minimum one should expect from a company. Literally nothing happened for them to create this shit show other than someone in HQ thinking they could squeeze a few more coins from their loyal audience.

"The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive," This was back in 2020 

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/horizon_forbidden_west_is_coming_to_both_ps5_and_ps4

Edit: Actually it was the pushsquare article that claimed Horizon would benefit from the PS5 upgrade path originally "As noted on the PlayStation Blog, these three games 
(Horizon, Miles, Sackboy) will benefit from a PS5 upgrade path"...

The actual full quote from Sony only specifies launch titles

"Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive."

Although lumped together with the rest Horizon wasn't a launch game, so my mistake, I guess sony didn't go against their word from how I would read it. But Sony themselves acknowledges that they were including Horizon when they referred to said "launch" games. Weird use of the word "launch game". But yeah, they made their bed...

Well here is the problem with going strictly by promises in this case.

HFW was supposed to be available within the general launch window. That didn't happen because of decisions SNY made, for the good of everyone, which most fans seemed to agree or were ok with. The promise was already broken then.

With the extension(s) given to HFW, who knows what else was added that wouldn't have made it in initially, and how better polished it will end up?

We only know a fraction of what was going on in total, so the HFW lineup wasn't totally out of the question and wasn't breaking promises anymore.

Though even I agree that leaving out the $10 upgrade option was a bad move on SNY's part. The optics were clearly poor this time for a few reasons.

The fact that SNY just went back to the free upgrade, even though they obviously didn't have to, shows not only are they listening, but are willing to give and take. The fact they also seem to have decided that the $10 upgrade option should become the norm now, shows they are willing to give more options. Options that can save the consumer money.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that SNY should be praised for it, but they definitely handled it quickly and about as reasonably as one could hope.

Around the Network

For people who played

How is Demon Souls compared to Dark Souls?
Overall I always read mechanics (weapons, classes, magic) from Demon Souls original game wasn't as refined and the combat wasn't as fluid as Dark Souls installments

That's why I never had the curiosity to play it, not while we could play the more refined sequels 

IcaroRibeiro said:

For people who played

Overall I always read mechanics (weapons, classes, magic) from Demon Souls original game wasn't as refined and the combat wasn't as fluid as Dark Souls installments

That's why I never had the curiosity to play it, not while we could play the more refined sequels 

You talkin' about the PS3 version or the PS5 Remaster? Because I felt the PS5 remaster is pretty slick, overall. Yeah, the gameplay elements, world design, and mechanics are all primitive comparatively (of course, it is the 'first' game in the 'series'), but I still think it's worth playing. I personally hold the Demon's Souls Remake among the best console launch games of all time up there with Super Mario World, Breath of the Wild, and Mario 64. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

For people who played

You talkin' about the PS3 version or the PS5 Remaster? Because I felt the PS5 remaster is pretty slick, overall. Yeah, the gameplay elements, world design, and mechanics are all primitive comparatively (of course, it is the 'first' game in the 'series'), but I still think it's worth playing. I personally hold the Demon's Souls Remake among the best console launch games of all time up there with Super Mario World, Breath of the Wild, and Mario 64. 

I was talking about PS5 version

IcaroRibeiro said:
Runa216 said:

I was talking about PS5 version

Then absolutely pick it up. The animations are smooth enough that it feels modern even if the actual gameplay is a bit old. I really enjoyed it even after playing and getting platinum on all other Fromsoft soulslikes. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network

Hey, looking for some help: In Ghost of Tsushima, how do I go about removing the fog of war? The map is absolutely massive and I've got like 1/4 of the first 1/3 of the map unveiled and it's just taking too damn long. I love this game so far but I am not a fan of scanning the entire map to remove the fog.

I'm told I have to liberate outposts, which I'm doing, but so far those have only unveiled a small amount and I don't know where they all are. any guide or link would be good!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:

Hey, looking for some help: In Ghost of Tsushima, how do I go about removing the fog of war? The map is absolutely massive and I've got like 1/4 of the first 1/3 of the map unveiled and it's just taking too damn long. I love this game so far but I am not a fan of scanning the entire map to remove the fog.

I'm told I have to liberate outposts, which I'm doing, but so far those have only unveiled a small amount and I don't know where they all are. any guide or link would be good!

Clearing outposts and visiting points of interest is definitely the fastest way and I would recommend that. Look for any villages in the distance or big road intersections and there will probably be one around. Iirc one of your outfits increases your defogging range by a good amount when upgraded and equipped. I do agree that this is the most tedious part of the game and could use some tweaking. At least change it so opening up the map doesn't cancel my sprint every time. That's really annoying when you're constantly checking it as you clear out the map.

TallSilhouette said:
Runa216 said:

Clearing outposts and visiting points of interest is definitely the fastest way and I would recommend that. Look for any villages in the distance or big road intersections and there will probably be one around. Iirc one of your outfits increases your defogging range by a good amount when upgraded and equipped. I do agree that this is the most tedious part of the game and could use some tweaking. At least change it so opening up the map doesn't cancel my sprint every time. That's really annoying when you're constantly checking it as you clear out the map.

Yeah, not gonna lie I've been playing it and I probably die/lose like 80% of my encounters so far. I'm not a terrible gamer, but it seems ANY time more than one enemy attacks me, I stand no chance. I got enemies just spamming stuff that I'm supposed to block AND dodge back and forth and it's nearly impossible to manage when I got 4 guys all doing whatever they want whenever they want. 

I don't suck at melee combat games, I know my dark souls and devil may cry, I got gud at Sekiro...so why the heck am I dying so quickly here? like, I get maybe 2-3 hits before dying. 

I am playing on hard mode, but only because I intend to do a super hard mode play through on NG+, so I don't wanna make myself suck at the game then get overwhelmed on NG+. Is it just me or is this game stupid hard at points? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
TallSilhouette said:

Yeah, not gonna lie I've been playing it and I probably die/lose like 80% of my encounters so far. I'm not a terrible gamer, but it seems ANY time more than one enemy attacks me, I stand no chance. I got enemies just spamming stuff that I'm supposed to block AND dodge back and forth and it's nearly impossible to manage when I got 4 guys all doing whatever they want whenever they want. 

I don't suck at melee combat games, I know my dark souls and devil may cry, I got gud at Sekiro...so why the heck am I dying so quickly here? like, I get maybe 2-3 hits before dying. 

I am playing on hard mode, but only because I intend to do a super hard mode play through on NG+, so I don't wanna make myself suck at the game then get overwhelmed on NG+. Is it just me or is this game stupid hard at points? 

Pretty sure the traveler gear (perhaps upgraded) clears a little more of the fog then the rest of the gear. It is helpful but not a huge difference. You just gotta remember to switch to that gear all the time when riding around, though it also helps you find trinkets n such so it has it's uses.

Runa216 said:
TallSilhouette said:

Yep keep going with the outposts and what the wind indactes to you.

For battle you have to abuse the system, a lot of stealth and challenges (series of 1 on 1), that will clean the mob. Being surrounded by plenty of enemies in direct combat can be quite bothersome.

twintail said:

Guys! Am I doing myself a disservice playing GoT on PS4 base?

I have no idea when I'll get a PS5 (life situation more so than availability), but I feel like I'm missing out lol

I played on Pro and was a pretty game running fine, so I don`t think you`ll have issues on base. At most you`ll have a reason to replay on PS5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."