By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Maybe I'm just in the minority here, but I really don't see much reason to go back to PS1/2 games. Not to say they can't be good, and I'm CERTAINLY not a graphics whore (the games I play the most lately outside of Elden Ring are pixel platformers like Terraria, The Messenger, Shovel Knight, and Kaze and the Wild Masks...you know, stuff like that), but like, N64, PS1, and PS2 games have not held up. Every time I go back to them I think, "Man, these games are a lot better in my memory than they actually are." SNES games held up. Gamecube games held up. NES games mostly hold up. Genesis games mostly hold up. A lot of old games hold up, but a lot of games from the 5th and 6th generation of consoles (The PS1 and PS2 era, alongside N64, Gamecube, and original Xbox) really haven't held up well at all. They just feel like inferior, clunky versions of better games.

Heck, most PS3 and Xbox 360 games haven't held up all that well, either. Nintendo seems mostly immune to this problem (Outside of N64, in my opinion.)

I dunno, I like the IDEA of backwards compatibility and back to the immediately prior generation is a must for conversion, but anything prior to PS4 just gets progressively less and less fun to play today.

GBA being backwards Compatible to GB was perfect. DS being backwards compatible to GBA but not GB was perfectly fine. 3DS being backwards compatible with DS but not GBA was perfectly fine. Wii being backwards compatible with Gamecube was perfect. WiiU being backwards compatible with Wii was perfectly fine. PS5 being backwards compatible with PS4 was perfectly fine. Xbox Series X being backwards compatible all the way back to the original Xbox is GREAT, but I'd love to see the stats on who actually plays Jade Empire on a Series X.

I figure the first 6 months of this new PSNow with Backwards Compatibility all the way back to PS1 will have a tonne of attention, but after that I just don't see anyone caring. I'd be happy to be wrong, I just don't think that's the case. They've said before that BC is something everyone wants but by their metrics few people actually play it, the people who do are just VERY loud.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Maybe I'm just in the minority here, but I really don't see much reason to go back to PS1/2 games. Not to say they can't be good, and I'm CERTAINLY not a graphics whore (the games I play the most lately outside of Elden Ring are pixel platformers like Terraria, The Messenger, Shovel Knight, and Kaze and the Wild Masks...you know, stuff like that), but like, N64, PS1, and PS2 games have not held up. Every time I go back to them I think, "Man, these games are a lot better in my memory than they actually are." SNES games held up. Gamecube games held up. NES games mostly hold up. Genesis games mostly hold up. A lot of old games hold up, but a lot of games from the 5th and 6th generation of consoles (The PS1 and PS2 era, alongside N64, Gamecube, and original Xbox) really haven't held up well at all. They just feel like inferior, clunky versions of better games.

Heck, most PS3 and Xbox 360 games haven't held up all that well, either. Nintendo seems mostly immune to this problem (Outside of N64, in my opinion.)

I dunno, I like the IDEA of backwards compatibility and back to the immediately prior generation is a must for conversion, but anything prior to PS4 just gets progressively less and less fun to play today.

GBA being backwards Compatible to GB was perfect. DS being backwards compatible to GBA but not GB was perfectly fine. 3DS being backwards compatible with DS but not GBA was perfectly fine. Wii being backwards compatible with Gamecube was perfect. WiiU being backwards compatible with Wii was perfectly fine. PS5 being backwards compatible with PS4 was perfectly fine. Xbox Series X being backwards compatible all the way back to the original Xbox is GREAT, but I'd love to see the stats on who actually plays Jade Empire on a Series X.

I figure the first 6 months of this new PSNow with Backwards Compatibility all the way back to PS1 will have a tonne of attention, but after that I just don't see anyone caring. I'd be happy to be wrong, I just don't think that's the case. They've said before that BC is something everyone wants but by their metrics few people actually play it, the people who do are just VERY loud.

You are not alone, I don't care much about BC and even Sony numbers showed them that most customers didn't care and thus was why PS4 had 0 BC in contrast with PS2 and original release of PS3. But seems like there have been more people wanting it (still Sony said that the PS+ Premium is expected to have a very minor number of subs because they still see that as a niche market). But it is good that if they are going to do BC to do as best as they can while generating profits to them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

the-pi-guy said:
Runa216 said:

I personally don't agree that PS2 games haven't held up well.

There are some PS2 games that I routinely come back to. Most notably the Jak games. It's not like the visuals are amazing, or even good for that matter, but I don't issue with them or the gameplay.

PS1 era is a bit weird for me. I didn't really play many PS1 games, I played more Nintendo 64, which still wasn't a lot. But I find N64 games more notably pleasing today. 

I feel like more PS1 games tried to punch above where they really should have visually, and I feel like it didn't work.

There are some N64 games that I think look much more appealing than this.

I think a bigger point of BC is when the games or genres have kind of disappeared today. If there were new and amazing Jak and Daxter games today, I probably wouldn't even think about the old ones. A genre in specific that I feel isn't being as pushed today are JRPGs. There are so many decent JRPGs that were being released on the PS2, like Dark Cloud, Radiata Stories, that just don't have modern equivalents. And in general, there don't seem to be as many JRPGs on newer PlayStations in general.

I would use FFIX to represent PS1 FF graphics, it is so much more gorgeous than FF VII even more on CGIs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

the-pi-guy said:

PS1 era is a bit weird for me. I didn't really play many PS1 games, I played more Nintendo 64, which still wasn't a lot. But I find N64 games more notably pleasing today. 

I feel like more PS1 games tried to punch above where they really should have visually, and I feel like it didn't work.

That reminds me that I still have to finish the modded version:

twintail said:

A lot of stupid moves from Sony surrounding the PS( revamp.
Fortunately, none that actually affect me. But stupid all the same.

Yeah I love my God of War and Naughty Dog games but this generation has been a mess in terms of messaging and penny pinching. I don't understand how or why a multi-bllion dollar company can't get messaging right or know its consumers when it comes to launching a new service. And instead punish users for paying -in advance and essentially locking themselves into their ecosystem.

Its this one generation that's actually turned me off consoles. Still looking forward to the games but meh, Sony is doing a lot to turn users off their platform.

Around the Network
hinch said:
twintail said:

Yeah I love my God of War and Naughty Dog games but this generation has been a mess in terms of messaging and penny pinching. I don't understand how or why a multi-bllion dollar company can't get messaging right or know its consumers when it comes to launching a new service. And instead punish users for paying -in advance and essentially locking themselves into their ecosystem.

Its this one generation that's actually turned me off consoles. Still looking forward to the games but meh, Sony is doing a lot to turn users off their platform.

It's ultimately behind Jim Ryan's leadership. He only took over SIE in April 2019 and how many boneheaded/questionable decisions have been made during that time? 

I love PlayStation Studios games in general and always will, but Jim Ryan took a page out of Nintendo's book in regards to launching a service lol. I have no doubt it will get substantially better over time, but I'm going to be sticking to buying the PS5 games I want to play as it always has been. 

hinch said:
twintail said:

Seems like they have put a bunch of monkeys dealing with their external communication.

gtotheunit91 said:
hinch said:

It's ultimately behind Jim Ryan's leadership. He only took over SIE in April 2019 and how many boneheaded/questionable decisions have been made during that time? 

I love PlayStation Studios games in general and always will, but Jim Ryan took a page out of Nintendo's book in regards to launching a service lol. I have no doubt it will get substantially better over time, but I'm going to be sticking to buying the PS5 games I want to play as it always has been. 

I mean you have to give him some credit.. the last few years of PS were pretty much on point when it comes to delivering games. So he does manage well.. and I mean I get it from a business POV; though going out your way to piss off your biggest customers isn't the best idea. When when launching a new service. Which, unfortunately is actually quite good just let down by (like you said) bone headed bean counting decisions.

However I can't agree with how they are treating their current customers (like shit) when it comes to their handling of current to new services. Especially when the competition is looking strong. And in some cases stronger seeing as Microsoft has Game Pass, which is getting more and more attention and competition is growing more every day.

In short term they'll gain money from users but long term and negative PR do have a long lasting impact on a success of console. Just look at how badly Don Mattrick hurt Xbox during the launch of Xbox One and their plans for family sharing - aka DRM. And its ongoing affect, only now they've turn the ship around and have made the Series consoles a lot more appealing with different price tiers and models without looking into a damn spreadsheet to see what you get by signing up to a service lol.

If anything they should be enticing people to come to play on PS not punishing them for their customs. But I digress..

Last edited by hinch - on 24 May 2022

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to put this but I thought it was funny (I ain't posting it in the Xbox thread, they'll think I'm trolling):

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

^nice. Haven't played Dino Crisis in years!

Looking forward to replaying some of these old games. Especially Siphon Filter.