By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | August Plus Games Announced

BraLoD said:
hinch said:

We have a lot of FF fans here. I'd be surprised it if was the most anticipated PS exclusive on VGC.

I'm was kinda in the middle.. For once we might actually have a decent mainline FF, which is what I'm excited for (no puns intended). On the other, GoW (2018) was outstanding and the next title will be too. I'm a fan of both..though slightly leaning towards GoW side myself as its one of my favorite series, and it falls in the 'consistently good' line of games. Its just release dates I'm sketchy about.

I mean FF is a huge franchise, but ever since 12 (or 10 for some) it has greatly fallen from its top tier spot as a series, and GoW is on an all time high with GoW4 being considered by many (me included) the best game from the past gen.

I honestly didn't expect FF16 hype to be bigger, well, they didn't show us GoW5 at all up until now tho, so maybe we need a teaser/gameplay reveal.

Yeah, I hate dogpiling on a franchise I love but FFX was basically the end of the streak. I personally LOVEd XII, but 11, 13, 14, and 15 were all varying levels of disastrous or simply 'okay'. 11 was online, I never played it. 13 is legendarily bad (I won't go into it, my hatred for that game is well known here), FFXIV had one of the worst launches ever (but is pretty good today thanks to a rerelease), and while I personally enjoyed XV, I am not going to pretend it's a good game. the world-building and characters were grand, but the gameplay was really dull and repetitive and simple, while the story was an absolute joke of nonsensical garbage. 

FFVII Remake was amazing, though. I'm in the camp of absolutely loving what they did with it and may be doing with it in the future. I loved the gameplay/combat system, I loved the changes to the story, I loved the art and music and everything else. It's not 'flawless', but I can't think of anything I hate about it or even dislike. 

I think a lot of the reason XVI is getting a lot of love and admiration and anticipation is...a mix of things. It's got the story writers of XIV (which I'm told actually has a really good story; I've not played it so I cannot confirm or deny), a return to old fantasy and epic storytelling, and a combat system that looks like it's heavily inspired by VII Remake. Oh, and it's exclusive. I know that isn't a HUGE deal, but we all know how people can be when it comes to brand loyalty. It's super easy to get over-hyped when the game's an exclusive title. I personally keep forgetting that XVI is exclusive, while I for some reason thought Resident Evil Village was exclusive. 

I only have a PS5 and likely won't be getting the competition, so 'a good game is a good game for me' regardless of its exclusivity. Final Fantasy, Deathloop, Returnal, Kena, none of these strike me as exclusives because I don't believe them to be first party (I could be wrong), so they don't have as much PS hype, just gaming hype in general. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

13 is legendarily bad (I won't go into it, my hatred for that game is well known here), FFXIV had one of the worst launches ever (but is pretty good today thanks to a rerelease)

"Pretty good"? I'd argue it's actually one of the best games in the series, especially the Heavensward story, that in itself is fucking phenomenal! Also if anyone is interested, the base game and Heavensward expansion are actually completely free to play now, that's Lv. 1-60 with so much content! I'd absolutely recommend anyone even remotely interested to give it a try, lol.

As for XIII, since I know you hate the game I won't go into it either, but I respectfully disagree with calling it "legendarily bad", lol

I actually really enjoyed XIII tbh. People hated the linear aspect of it but I didn't mind that, it enabled the game to stay focused and on point. Story was quite good as well. Especially when you reach a certain point in the game where it opens up and gives you a tonne more freedom.

The thing that most stuck out for me was the combat (paradigm) which was really unique and flowed well. Was tactical and fun. And the music was usual god tier, especially the last boss theme battle. XIII-2 was interesting too with Pokemon/Ni No Kuni esc gameplay, totally skipped the last one for some reason though.

I loved all three of the XIII

The first one had some intense battles. The battles would start with doom so you were immediately put on the clock. You had to go hard, fast, and risk it all.
13-2 had time travel.. oh and monsters as your team mates.
13-3 was the most unique of them all.

You couldn't grind for EXP. And you couldn't repeat quests. There was exactly enough items to finish every quest. Killing enemies enough brought up the "boss". Killing the boss made all those enemies extinct. You could literally extinct every monster in the game.

I would freeze time then immediately fight a monster. Getting all the points back AND time frozen.
Then the highway at the end where every monster gave you 5 points. Freeze time, heal, fight etc. Infinite time, heal, points etc.

I finished the game (every quests, extinct EVERY monster etc) on like day 6. There was like another 8 days left.

Also one of the few RPG's that you play 99% of it solo. A couple time it is paired but most of it was single.

Last edited by Bandorr - on 15 March 2021

• Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
hinch said:

Idd.. everything from FFXII onward was more miss than hit. I'd say the quality droped quite considerably from 9, since the merger with Enix. And I think the series lost a bit of its magic since Hironobu Sakaguchi left (or most likey fired) tbh. Maybe FFXVI will bring that back with a good old fashioned story, more mature setting and new gameplay. Mixed with the usual FF familiarity we're accustomed to - like its orchestral score, reoccurring characters etc.

Saying that, SE have made great strides lately on the FF side of things, this gen, starting with FFVIIR. And 16 is looking quite promising with the FFXIV director Hiroshi Takai at the helm it should be good.

But yeah Santa Monica Studios has been on fire and has been getting better and better. Outside of GoW: Ascension which was more of a filler piece the revamped GoW (4) absolutely smashed it. I still think we have more FF fans on here but like you said we've seen a trailer for 16 and not for GoW so that could also be a factor. I'm hyped for both though I'm not expecting them anytime soon lol. Hopefully they will show Ragnarok in July at E3 or Sony's own event.

An early prediction but I'm gonna say; GoW:Ragnarok will be a graphics powerhouse, and will look a gen above anything we've seen thus far.

E3 was canned, but yeah, I think we will see it around mid year, after Ratchet and Clank have already released, as GoW5 will completely steal anything else's thunder for itself.

It's the one game that can make me get a PS5 sooner than planned. When GoW5 hits the generation truly starts.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
BraLoD said:

I mean FF is a huge franchise, but ever since 12 (or 10 for some) it has greatly fallen from its top tier spot as a series, and GoW is on an all time high with GoW4 being considered by many (me included) the best game from the past gen.

I honestly didn't expect FF16 hype to be bigger, well, they didn't show us GoW5 at all up until now tho, so maybe we need a teaser/gameplay reveal.

Yeah, I hate dogpiling on a franchise I love but FFX was basically the end of the streak. I personally LOVEd XII, but 11, 13, 14, and 15 were all varying levels of disastrous or simply 'okay'. 11 was online, I never played it. 13 is legendarily bad (I won't go into it, my hatred for that game is well known here), FFXIV had one of the worst launches ever (but is pretty good today thanks to a rerelease), and while I personally enjoyed XV, I am not going to pretend it's a good game. the world-building and characters were grand, but the gameplay was really dull and repetitive and simple, while the story was an absolute joke of nonsensical garbage. 

FFVII Remake was amazing, though. I'm in the camp of absolutely loving what they did with it and may be doing with it in the future. I loved the gameplay/combat system, I loved the changes to the story, I loved the art and music and everything else. It's not 'flawless', but I can't think of anything I hate about it or even dislike. 

I think a lot of the reason XVI is getting a lot of love and admiration and anticipation is...a mix of things. It's got the story writers of XIV (which I'm told actually has a really good story; I've not played it so I cannot confirm or deny), a return to old fantasy and epic storytelling, and a combat system that looks like it's heavily inspired by VII Remake. Oh, and it's exclusive. I know that isn't a HUGE deal, but we all know how people can be when it comes to brand loyalty. It's super easy to get over-hyped when the game's an exclusive title. I personally keep forgetting that XVI is exclusive, while I for some reason thought Resident Evil Village was exclusive. 

I only have a PS5 and likely won't be getting the competition, so 'a good game is a good game for me' regardless of its exclusivity. Final Fantasy, Deathloop, Returnal, Kena, none of these strike me as exclusives because I don't believe them to be first party (I could be wrong), so they don't have as much PS hype, just gaming hype in general. 

13 is better than 10... xD

I mean 8 is nowhere near the quality of either 7 or 9 (specially 9), so the streak never existed IMO. 12 is absolutely phenomenal like 9.

I sadly haven't played either 11 or 14 but 14 looks like a damn good MMO. Have 15 sitting here for years and never touched it, and I remember being quite hyped for it before it released, but the demo gameplay was quite the letdown and I simply never got the urge to try it, lol.

7 = great, 8 = meh², 9 = masterpiece, 10 = meh [10-2 = decently meh], 12 = masterpiece, 13 = decent [13-2 = good, 13-3 (LR) = decently meh].

I would love to have tried 14 was it one time purchase only, paying eternally for games doesn't suit me at all tho.

Why do you hate 13 so much? It has a great story, a pretty decent combat and upgrade system, very lackluster scenarios and horrendous weapons. All in all the corridor scenarios weighted a lot less on me than what I see online. 10 was also VERY restrained and it doesn't get a fraction of 13's hate for it.

Bristow9091 said:
Runa216 said:

13 is legendarily bad (I won't go into it, my hatred for that game is well known here), FFXIV had one of the worst launches ever (but is pretty good today thanks to a rerelease)

"Pretty good"? I'd argue it's actually one of the best games in the series, especially the Heavensward story, that in itself is fucking phenomenal! Also if anyone is interested, the base game and Heavensward expansion are actually completely free to play now, that's Lv. 1-60 with so much content! I'd absolutely recommend anyone even remotely interested to give it a try, lol.

As for XIII, since I know you hate the game I won't go into it either, but I respectfully disagree with calling it "legendarily bad", lol

Really? Both PS and PC?

Bandorr said:

I loved all three of the XIII

The first one had some intense battles. The battles would start with doom so you were immediately put on the clock. You had to go hard, fast, and risk it all.
13-2 had time travel.. oh and monsters as your team mates.
13-3 was the most unique of them all.

You couldn't grind for EXP. And you couldn't repeat quests. There was exactly enough items to finish every quest. Killing enemies enough brought up the "boss". Killing the boss made all those enemies extinct. You could literally extinct every monster in the game.

I would freeze time then immediately fight a monster. Getting all the points back AND time frozen.
Then the highway at the end where every monster gave you 5 points. Freeze time, heal, fight etc. Infinite time, heal, points etc.

I finished the game (every quests, extinct EVERY monster etc) on like day 6. There was like another 8 days left.

Also one of the few RPG's that you play 99% of it solo. A couple time it is paired but most of it was single.

The solo focus on lightning on Lighting Returns (who would say!) is one of the few big constraints I have about it.

The garb system was nice (like it was nice in 10-2), and the game pacing was decent.

The story is a decent step down from both 13 and 13-2 tho. Those games have great stories!

LR is my least favorite between the 3 games, but it's the only one I platined, lol.

Leynos said:

RIp PS4 communities

Honestly don't see why would they do that so soon, I mean, the vast majority of their player base is still on PS4 and will be for the next year and a bit more without a single doubt.

Pretty shitty move honestly.

Bristow9091 said:
Runa216 said:

Free on PS4/5? If so, shiiiiit! I might need to try it! 

Yeah, all of my friends seem to speak remarkably highly of FFXIV now. They keep trying to get me to play it but I just don't like monthly fees for anything - it's one of the reasons I refuse to get GamePass (That and liking to own my games).

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II, Rock Band 4