By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

the-pi-guy said:
zero129 said:

Not only do they release their games late on pc but also the games they money hat..

Except that isn't true.

Firstly, Final Fantasy games have rarely launched day and date on PC regardless of money hatting. There was about a year and half between FFXV launching on PS4/Xbox and launching on PC. So clearly even if Sony didn't "moneyhat" FFXVI, chances were pretty good that it wasn't going to happen.

Secondly, there are plenty of games that Sony has clearly made an exclusive deal for, that is still hitting PC day 1, including Square's own Forspoken. Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Godfall, Kena, Bugsnax were all same day on PC. As far as I can tell Silent Hill 2 Remake will probably be same day.

And I will add, creating different versions is often a lot of work. There are different graphics APIs being used for different platforms. PC needs more features, like being able to turn up and down graphics, and being able to render at wider resolutions and different frame rates. Etc.

It is not uncommon for indie developers especially, but a lot of big AAA developers also do this, where they will finish and release 1 version of the game, and then let someone else make a port. Because they think it's easier to make one version of the game, and let someone else fine tune everything for a different platform, instead of doing a constant back and forth which can make things pretty difficult.

Look im not getting into it in this thread since its clearly a Sony thread. But all i will say is development was different before then now. Unless you think a company like SE cant do multi plat releases day and date when much smaller company's can?.

Around the Network
zero129 said:

Look im not getting into it in this thread since its clearly a Sony thread. But all i will say is development was different before then now. Unless you think a company like SE cant do multi plat releases day and date when much smaller company's can?.

Can they? Sure.

Almost every game they've "moneyhatted" has launched day 1 on PC. As far as I'm aware the only exceptions are Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Remake, both of which are in a franchise that has rarely had a day 1 PC release, even when it was easy to do that.

FFXV released on PC like a year and a half after Xbox and PS. Similar story with the Final Fantasy XIII sequels. They launched day 1 on Xbox and PlayStation only to launch like a year later on PC. The evidence points to Square Enix themselves not wanting to prioritize a quick PC launch for Final Fantasy and doesn't have anything to do with Sony.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was launched on PC 2 years after it launched on Xbox and PlayStation. Do you think Sony deliberately made a choice to make it launch on Xbox instead of PC? Or do you think MS and Sony both signed an exclusive deal away from PC? Or is it more likely that Square Enix themselves made that a deliberate choice for whatever reason?

That launched last year on PC. On a game engine that is almost certainly a lot friendly for porting to PC than most of their internal engines, and yet it still took them 2 years to do that.

All of the evidence points to you being wrong. It has nothing to do with this being a Sony thread, or these people being Sony fans. 

Maybe Square Enix intentionally does that because they know their big games will get double sales from people buying a console version and then the PC version. Maybe it's for development reasons.

But literally none of the current evidence supports this being on Sony.

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 09 December 2022

the-pi-guy said:
zero129 said:

Can they? Sure.

Almost every game they've "moneyhatted" has launched day 1 on PC. As far as I'm aware the only exceptions are Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Remake, both of which are in a franchise that has rarely had a day 1 PC release, even when it was easy to do that.

FFXV released on PC like a year and a half after Xbox and PS. Similar story with the Final Fantasy XIII sequels. They launched day 1 on Xbox and PlayStation only to launch like a year later on PC. The evidence points to Square Enix themselves not wanting to prioritize a quick PC launch for Final Fantasy and doesn't have anything to do with Sony.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was launched on PC 2 years after it launched on Xbox and PlayStation. Do you think Sony deliberately made a choice to make it launch on Xbox instead of PC? Or do you think MS and Sony both signed an exclusive deal away from PC? Or is it more likely that Square Enix themselves made that a deliberate choice for whatever reason?

That launched last year on PC. On a game engine that is almost certainly a lot friendly for porting to PC than most of their internal engines, and yet it still took them 2 years to do that.

All of the evidence points to you being wrong. It has nothing to do with this being a Sony thread, or these people being Sony fans. 

Maybe Square Enix intentionally does that because they know their big games will get double sales from people buying a console version and then the PC version. Maybe it's for development reasons.

But literally none of the current evidence supports this being on Sony.

Now that i think about it your right. Thats why i will never buy an SE game day 1 on Pc when its a late port and will most likely get it by sailing on the seas .

I dont mind Sony as thats the choice they have made before they become day and date with pc and i respect that. But for a 3rd party to be trying to follow them i have no respect for that.

zero129 said:
BasilZero said:

Super hyped for FFXVI

Its coming in June 2023 for PS5.

End of trailer shows not coming to other platforms until after 12/31/2023.

I'll get it on PS5 first - hopefully we'll get a new model/sku for PS5 next year like the rumors say.

Once again this is what annoys me with Sony money hats. Not only do they release their games late on pc but also the games they money hat..

Just so you're aware, Herman Hulst has already announced that Sony’s upcoming live service games will launch day 1 on both PS5 and PC. So they are already trending in that direction which as I understand it,  is your primary platform of choice. 

So far the new time frame going forward for Sony's narrative type games on PC will be at a least a year but not as long as they once were. There is improvement now with the time frame between those releases. However, you're going to get some rebuttals in a "Playstation Nation" thread if you are to criticize their release methods. Sony is looking after their initial community first and foremost while expanding into new markets for the first time. This is very acceptable to me personally and I am sure others are on board as well. 

Square Enix is another matter entirely and the mod the-pi-guy just explained them perfectly. 

Blood_Tears said:

Just so you're aware, Herman Hulst has already announced that Sony’s upcoming live service games will launch day 1 on both PS5 and PC. So they are already trending in that direction which as I understand it,  is your primary platform of choice. 

So far the new time frame going forward for Sony's narrative type games on PC will be at a least a year but not as long as they once were. There is improvement now with the time frame between those releases. However, you're going to get some rebuttals in a "Playstation Nation" thread if you are to criticize their release methods. Sony is looking after their initial community first and foremost while expanding into new markets for the first time. This is very acceptable to me personally and I am sure others are on board as well. 

Square Enix is another matter entirely and the mod the-pi-guy just explained them perfectly. 

Pretty much, yeah. I am very glad that Sony games are finally coming to PC now because I do agree that it makes good business sense, but I also think it makes perfect sense from a brand perspective to make them feel special on THEIR consoles first before spreading out. I mean, the balance they've stricken, while not perfect, makes sense to me. Games come out on Playstation consoles, so anyone who wants it or needs it now can get a PS console to play it. That's good business. Those who don't want to get a PS console but still want to play the games can wait, but they still get it. 

And same with 'money-hatting' square enix to make their games PS exclusive or come out first on PS. Sony and Square-Enix have had a positive working relationship for a long time, and Square-Enix have been struggling. Everyone wins, because Sony gets exclusives, Square gets extra funding and stability to make their games, and since like 80% of the sales from Square-Enix games are on Sony platforms, the only people who miss out are the stone-cold Xbox or Nintendo gamers that refuse to get a PS. 

And frankly, too fucking bad for them. I'm getting an Xbox Series X because of Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI as well as other games that Microsoft bought up. I don't like it, but I understand that's how business works. You want Final Fantasy XVI, get a PS5 or wait for it to come to PC. if I want Elder Scrolls VI, I can get it on Xbox or get a PC. IT's just that simple. THATS HOW BUSINESS WORKS. Why is this even a point of contention? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Looks like PS5 stock is on the rise again this past week in the UK, looking good for December so far.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/god-of-war-ragnarok-returns-to-no1-as-ps5-stock-arrives-uk-boxed-charts

God of War Ragnarok returns to No.1 as PS5 stock arrives | UK Boxed Charts
Sony's God of War Ragnarok has returned to the top of the UK boxed charts due to a 32% increase in sales week-on-week.
The action adventure game jumped two places to No.1 thanks to the arrival of more PS5 stock at UK retail. The game also features in a PS5 hardware bundle.

Spider-Man 2 is up to be wishlisted on PS store! Hopefully a new trailer will be released soon.

Been playing Driveclub and DMC4 Special Edition.

Been like...almost 10 years since I last played DMC4 (the OG on PS3) - feels so different, maybe its the QoL improvements of the remaster or maybe I got better at action games.

Anyways, doing human mode alongside devil hunter mode (Normal) - so grinding for red orbs to max out HP and magic isnt too hard (along with getting the points for unlocking abilities).

Enjoying it so far, finished Nero's story and playing as Dante now.

As for Driveclub - the "Hyper" cars are so hard to control lol

https://www.ign.com/wikis/driveclub/Hyper

Anyways that is what I've been playing aside from the rest

What y'all been playing?

Last edited by BasilZero - on 12 December 2022

gtotheunit91 said:
DonFerrari said:

Didn't know Amy was collaborating on it, that is a big plus for me.

She was honestly the big reason why I'm interested in the game. But, at least according to Wikipedia, there are 4 other writers being credited for the game along with Amy. That's quite a few as there's usually 1 to 3 at the most. So, I'm really hoping her input wasn't drowned out. She's never failed as a writer in her games! 

Gotcha, yes I don't remember being left unsatisfied with any Amy game. By her weight in the industry I would hope she is the lead and conductor of the storyline making sure that everything matches out.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BasilZero said:

Been playing Driveclub and DMC4 Special Edition.

Been like...almost 10 years since I last played DMC4 (the OG on PS3) - feels so different, maybe its the QoL improvements of the remaster or maybe I got better at action games.

Anyways, doing human mode alongside devil hunter mode (Normal) - so grinding for red orbs to max out HP and magic isnt too hard (along with getting the points for unlocking abilities).

Enjoying it so far, finished Nero's story and playing as Dante now.

As for Driveclub - the "Hyper" cars are so hard to control lol

https://www.ign.com/wikis/driveclub/Hyper

Anyways that is what I've been playing aside from the rest

What y'all been playing?

Can tell you I didn't like DM4 much, and liked DMC more. I'll start DM5 in the next few weeks probably.

Plat the GoW past week and playing some movie interactive games that were on promo on PSN to offload the tension of GmGoW

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."