By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

PotentHerbs said:

Oh man, I can't wait to get my hands on God of War Ragnarok, the previews are getting me hype.

I think the discourse that gets me the most is this 'it's just an expansion to GOW2018' or 'it's just a PS4 game'. I just...I don't even know what to say to and about these people and these bad takes. Like, there are so many counterfactuals that I don't even know where to start. 

Most ironically, this whole discourse about the Xbox Series S holding back new-gen consoles (or just any cross-generational games doing that) is really dumb. Like, do people not know that PC has been successfully scaling games up and down effectively for decades and they are often considered the pinnacle of performance and versatility. PS4, Xbox One, Series S are NOT HOLDING BACK GAMES. The developers might be handicapping the games for parity but the consoles themselves are absolutely not the problem. Complain to the devs for their decisions about parity, not the consoles themselves. If a dev doesn't want to put in the effort to scale, that's their problem, but I also imagine they aren't likely the developers to work hard to get the most out of the new hardware so the point is moot. 

I don't even want to get into this conversation about 30fps vs 60fps. 30 is fine. Going form 60 to 30 sucks for like half an hour, but then your eyes adjust. I started playing Bloodborne this month (Because ooooooo spooky month) and it was jarring...until I made it halfway through Central Yharnam. then it was completely normal and I genuinely didn't notice anymore. Not until I went back to a 60fps game. Point is on this one, 30 is fine. 60 is better. Both are viable. consistency is more important. Framerates (And graphics in general) are not that important, they're a nice bonus. 

I need to go hang with my trophy-hunting buddy again. he's just all positivity and I need that right now. Gamers suck. (At lease the shitty entitled ones, who happen to also be the loudest) 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
PotentHerbs said:

I'm still blown away by the fast load times on PlayStation 5. Going from the UI to the game in less than 10 seconds is remarkable.

Between the SSD, adaptative triggers, and 60 FPS mode, as disappointed as I am with cross gen games, I can't imagine playing a monster like Ragnarok on PlayStation 4.

It's pretty transformative to play Demon's Souls and be able to transport between different levels within a second or two. 

It's been really great to play all the Souls games at 60 fps. And it'll be great to play Ragnarok at 60 fps. 

I haven't done a Dark Souls III play-through on PS5 yet. But when I booted up my most recent save on PS5 just to dick around for a moment...eye opening. 60fps looked SO good. (To be clear, appreciating 60fps is fine. I love how 60 looks. I just don't think it's the be-all, end-all for game graphics.) 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

DonFerrari said:
PotentHerbs said:

Oh man, I can't wait to get my hands on God of War Ragnarok, the previews are getting me hype.

Seems like previews have been great so far.

From what I can say, most are saying 'take everything you loved about 2018, but more of it, more refined, and an equally impressive/shocking story.'

I'm down. Got this one pre-ordered already. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

Seems like previews have been great so far.

From what I can say, most are saying 'take everything you loved about 2018, but more of it, more refined, and an equally impressive/shocking story.'

I'm down. Got this one pre-ordered already. 

Mine have been pre-ordered since they gave a 12-20% discount on physical pre-order.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Runa216 said:

I think the discourse that gets me the most is this 'it's just an expansion to GOW2018' or 'it's just a PS4 game'. I just...I don't even know what to say to and about these people and these bad takes. Like, there are so many counterfactuals that I don't even know where to start. 

Most ironically, this whole discourse about the Xbox Series S holding back new-gen consoles (or just any cross-generational games doing that) is really dumb. Like, do people not know that PC has been successfully scaling games up and down effectively for decades and they are often considered the pinnacle of performance and versatility. PS4, Xbox One, Series S are NOT HOLDING BACK GAMES. The developers might be handicapping the games for parity but the consoles themselves are absolutely not the problem. Complain to the devs for their decisions about parity, not the consoles themselves. If a dev doesn't want to put in the effort to scale, that's their problem, but I also imagine they aren't likely the developers to work hard to get the most out of the new hardware so the point is moot. 

I don't even want to get into this conversation about 30fps vs 60fps. 30 is fine. Going form 60 to 30 sucks for like half an hour, but then your eyes adjust. I started playing Bloodborne this month (Because ooooooo spooky month) and it was jarring...until I made it halfway through Central Yharnam. then it was completely normal and I genuinely didn't notice anymore. Not until I went back to a 60fps game. Point is on this one, 30 is fine. 60 is better. Both are viable. consistency is more important. Framerates (And graphics in general) are not that important, they're a nice bonus. 

I need to go hang with my trophy-hunting buddy again. he's just all positivity and I need that right now. Gamers suck. (At lease the shitty entitled ones, who happen to also be the loudest) 

Honestly, a ton of the discourse online surrounding video games is terrible, I'm at a point where I just ignore most of the opinions I see on social media/dedicated forums, but sometimes I end up taking the bait lol. 

Around the Network

https://twitter.com/Nick_Marseil/status/1583673663462645760?s=09 beware of the cross-gen title that looks like a PS4 game =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

There's a weird obsession that the game won't change enough. I don't think most of the high rated games on metacritic are there because they were utterly transformative.

There are lots of segments of Elden Ring where if you just saw those, you wouldn't think it was transformative from the Souls games. It still has most of the same mechanics.

There is so much room for meaningful updates and polish to reach widespread critical acclaim without reinventing everything.

Even Uncharted 2 doesn't reinvent everything from Uncharted 1. It is largely just an amazingly well polished sequel. Some great gameplay improvements and a well paced adventure with lots of set pieces.

Finally got the platinum for Demon's Souls. 

Made that much harder for myself. Finished NG++ to make that happen.

the-pi-guy said:

Finally got the platinum for Demon's Souls. 

Made that much harder for myself. Finished NG++ to make that happen.

I'm going back to Dark Souls Remastered on my alt account to get the platinum again (I just went back to do Bloodborne and figured I'd do Dark Souls as well since both are looked back upon with what I think is nearly equal revere) and wow I feel bad for saying this but it has not held up well. Bloodborne still feels amazing, like it coulda released yesterday when compared to Elden Ring, but Dark Souls hurts. Not sure if it's just a build I have or something but WOW. 

After doing an Elden Ring run where my favourite build ever was my Samurai Sorcerer (dex/int), I tried to recreate that in Dark Souls. Nope. Absolutely not. Holy shit magic in this game suuuuuuuucks. limited spell casts, little to no way to refresh or rejuvenate, etc. a single cast of the most basic soul spear takes what feels like an eternity (And by then the enemy may have moved), and trying to cast pyromancy is useless. I can't say how many times I aimed at an enemy and my character just threw the fireball at the floor between us. 

Also, for everyone complaining about Elden Ring bosses repeating or being boring, or the areas not being as iconic as Dark Souls: you're wrong. So wrong. Anor Londo is overrated. like half the bosses in Dark Souls suck or at least aren't as good as you remember. Way too many areas are annoying. There's platforming in a game with no reliable jump button, etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game and it's still on my top 50 list (I give it a 9.5/10 for many reasons), but hot damn, it is showing its age. 

And invasions suck here, too. Fuckers. I'm just trying to kindle my bonfire and before I can even do that 'sorry, you can't access this bonfire becuase you are getting invaded.'

Dark Souls invaders are the karens of the gaming world. What they're doing is within the laws/rules of the game, but holy shit they're the worst. Just exist to ruin other people's day. Technically legal/within the rules but that doesn't mean they're not shitty for doing it. Fuck invaders in these games. At least in Bloodborne you can kill the witch and turn invasions off. Might be the sole defining reason why I still hold Bloodborne ever so slightly ahead of Elden Ring (That's how much i hate invaders) 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:

I'm going back to Dark Souls Remastered on my alt account to get the platinum again (I just went back to do Bloodborne and figured I'd do Dark Souls as well since both are looked back upon with what I think is nearly equal revere) and wow I feel bad for saying this but it has not held up well. Bloodborne still feels amazing, like it coulda released yesterday when compared to Elden Ring, but Dark Souls hurts. Not sure if it's just a build I have or something but WOW. 

After doing an Elden Ring run where my favourite build ever was my Samurai Sorcerer (dex/int), I tried to recreate that in Dark Souls. Nope. Absolutely not. Holy shit magic in this game suuuuuuuucks. limited spell casts, little to no way to refresh or rejuvenate, etc. a single cast of the most basic soul spear takes what feels like an eternity (And by then the enemy may have moved), and trying to cast pyromancy is useless. I can't say how many times I aimed at an enemy and my character just threw the fireball at the floor between us. 

Also, for everyone complaining about Elden Ring bosses repeating or being boring, or the areas not being as iconic as Dark Souls: you're wrong. So wrong. Anor Londo is overrated. like half the bosses in Dark Souls suck or at least aren't as good as you remember. Way too many areas are annoying. There's platforming in a game with no reliable jump button, etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game and it's still on my top 50 list (I give it a 9.5/10 for many reasons), but hot damn, it is showing its age. 

And invasions suck here, too. Fuckers. I'm just trying to kindle my bonfire and before I can even do that 'sorry, you can't access this bonfire becuase you are getting invaded.'

Dark Souls invaders are the karens of the gaming world. What they're doing is within the laws/rules of the game, but holy shit they're the worst. Just exist to ruin other people's day. Technically legal/within the rules but that doesn't mean they're not shitty for doing it. Fuck invaders in these games. At least in Bloodborne you can kill the witch and turn invasions off. Might be the sole defining reason why I still hold Bloodborne ever so slightly ahead of Elden Ring (That's how much i hate invaders) 

Bloodborne is comfortably ahead of all of the others personally. I just love how it feels for the character to move around, and the sidestep dodge in particular. 

That's pretty much an automatic 10 in my book.

Elden Ring is a good second spot for me. Dark Souls 3 and Demon's Souls Remake are close behind there.

Dark Souls 1 has some roughness. Dodging is only 4 directional. The character moves slowly, or at least feels like it does.

I like Anor Londo fine. But I hate the New Londo Ruins.