By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Runa216 said:

I absolutely love that this whole Sony/Microsoft discourse over the Activision-Blizzard deal basically boils down to:

Sony - "Hey, it's kinda bullshit that Xbox can just BUY such huge companies and potentially take them away from the rest of the market."
Microsoft - "Please don't take this from us; we suck at making and marketing new games and this is the only way we'll ever have exclusives. You guys are immensely successful and will be fine, we NEED this to compete because we can't do it otherwise despite owning 23 dev teams already."

Like, I get that in a vaccuum it's petty for Sony execs to be whining about it but in actual reality...it really is hilarious that Xbox is so bad at making new games and giving people reason to get an Xbox that they have to buy two of the biggest publishers out there to even compete with Sony/Nintendo and STILL Feel like Sony/Nintendo will be ahead of them.

Personally I hope the deal goes through. Activision-Blizzard are a shit company with shit practices and a shitty work environment and I'd honestly rather their bullshit be taken off Playstation so I don't have to keep seeing all these ads for shooty bang-bang the 24th with all the loot boxes and microtransactions. Not to mention all the shoddy Blizzard shit.

Plus Sony didn't complain from all the previous purchases MS done including Bethesda, because they didn't see it affecting themselves.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

I absolutely love that this whole Sony/Microsoft discourse over the Activision-Blizzard deal basically boils down to:

Sony - "Hey, it's kinda bullshit that Xbox can just BUY such huge companies and potentially take them away from the rest of the market."
Microsoft - "Please don't take this from us; we suck at making and marketing new games and this is the only way we'll ever have exclusives. You guys are immensely successful and will be fine, we NEED this to compete because we can't do it otherwise despite owning 23 dev teams already."

Like, I get that in a vaccuum it's petty for Sony execs to be whining about it but in actual reality...it really is hilarious that Xbox is so bad at making new games and giving people reason to get an Xbox that they have to buy two of the biggest publishers out there to even compete with Sony/Nintendo and STILL Feel like Sony/Nintendo will be ahead of them.

Personally I hope the deal goes through. Activision-Blizzard are a shit company with shit practices and a shitty work environment and I'd honestly rather their bullshit be taken off Playstation so I don't have to keep seeing all these ads for shooty bang-bang the 24th with all the loot boxes and microtransactions. Not to mention all the shoddy Blizzard shit.

Plus Sony didn't complain from all the previous purchases MS done including Bethesda, because they didn't see it affecting themselves.

Ironically, Elder Scrolls and starfield are what made me want an Xbox. Mostly just Elder Scrolls if I'm being honest. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

There will be a God of War Ragnarok PS5 Bundle.

It seems that they will try to meet their 18m units FY22 forecast

Runa216 said:
DonFerrari said:

Ironically, Elder Scrolls and starfield are what made me want an Xbox. Mostly just Elder Scrolls if I'm being honest. 

Well CoD have more impact for market, but myself I agree those 2 IPs are better.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/ps5-hits-2m-uk-sales-making-it-the-fourth-fastest-selling-games-console-of-all-time

The PS5 being the 4th fastest console in the UK to 2 million is crazy considering the hardware shortages it faced for months.

With stock now more plentiful, seems like PS5 sales are going to skyrocket.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Runa216 said:

Kinda funny huh?

Who could Sony take that would affect MS?  

gooch_destroyer said:
DonFerrari said:

Kinda funny huh?

My best guess are major Japanese gaming companies that are actually supporting Xbox. MS is slowly making more and more progress in Japan, and Sega has been the biggest supporter. Especially now that Persona 3.4, and 5 are coming to Game Pass. Along with the likes of Capcom or Bandai Namco. 

The other thing would be Sony to buy up the support studios that work almost exclusively with Xbox that MS refuses to put a ring on lol

gtotheunit91 said:
gooch_destroyer said:

Kinda funny huh?

My best guess are major Japanese gaming companies that are actually supporting Xbox. MS is slowly making more and more progress in Japan, and Sega has been the biggest supporter. Especially now that Persona 3.4, and 5 are coming to Game Pass. Along with the likes of Capcom or Bandai Namco. 

The other thing would be Sony to buy up the support studios that work almost exclusively with Xbox that MS refuses to put a ring on lol

Yeah, if Sony bought Square Enix, cause let's be honest, their major games are being bankrolled by Sony. lol 

I'd say Sony buying CDPR would hurt. 

gooch_destroyer said:
DonFerrari said:

Kinda funny huh?

None. The companies sony has shown interest in are ones that cater more to Sony's audience. People are saying Square-Enix and Capcom and Fromsoft, all companies with a heavy japanese fanbase, somewhere that Microsoft has virtually zero presence. 

It sucks that Microsoft got Bethesda, but that made sense. Their games sold better on PS, but that's mostly just because PS has a higher install base. 

Maybe Take-Two? I know Sony has a history of collaboration with them and Rockstar so maybe there's something there. 

But it really does just boil down to the sheer size of Activision blizzard more than the actual involvement. I always associated Call of Duty with Xbox, even though it was pretty well balance. They got the DLC and packs early on the 360 generation, and Sony got it on the PS4. Because that's who was winning. Still, I think a heavily western centric publishing house FITS Microsoft, the issue comes fromt he fact that they can't seem to launch new games or keep momentum on the games they have, yet they're just spending tens of billions of dollars to BUY the competition.

Where you can't compete, use daddy's money to buy the competition. 

Honestly, I don't even know why Xbox is even in the games industry. they only made the Xbox to compete with Sony's PS2. They only released the 360 when they did to get a jump on the PS3. They only shifted to kinect to compete with Nintendo. And now they don't seem to be doing anything to offer the world anything new or interesting but just to take away from Sony. Their whole existence in the market is to antagonize what they rightly saw as the market leader. 

Even now they're bleeding money on gamepass and buying these studios knowing full well it's going to be a LONG time before they begin to profit off it. 

Their console has no defining features aside from raw power.

Their games are on PC and sometimes even on Switch/PS. 

I genuinely don't understand why they are even in the industry if they have no intention of offering the world something new and special and unique. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
gooch_destroyer said:

Kinda funny huh?

None. The companies sony has shown interest in are ones that cater more to Sony's audience. People are saying Square-Enix and Capcom and Fromsoft, all companies with a heavy japanese fanbase, somewhere that Microsoft has virtually zero presence. 

It sucks that Microsoft got Bethesda, but that made sense. Their games sold better on PS, but that's mostly just because PS has a higher install base. 

Maybe Take-Two? I know Sony has a history of collaboration with them and Rockstar so maybe there's something there. 

But it really does just boil down to the sheer size of Activision blizzard more than the actual involvement. I always associated Call of Duty with Xbox, even though it was pretty well balance. They got the DLC and packs early on the 360 generation, and Sony got it on the PS4. Because that's who was winning. Still, I think a heavily western centric publishing house FITS Microsoft, the issue comes fromt he fact that they can't seem to launch new games or keep momentum on the games they have, yet they're just spending tens of billions of dollars to BUY the competition.

Where you can't compete, use daddy's money to buy the competition. 

Honestly, I don't even know why Xbox is even in the games industry. they only made the Xbox to compete with Sony's PS2. They only released the 360 when they did to get a jump on the PS3. They only shifted to kinect to compete with Nintendo. And now they don't seem to be doing anything to offer the world anything new or interesting but just to take away from Sony. Their whole existence in the market is to antagonize what they rightly saw as the market leader. 

Even now they're bleeding money on gamepass and buying these studios knowing full well it's going to be a LONG time before they begin to profit off it. 

Their console has no defining features aside from raw power.

Their games are on PC and sometimes even on Switch/PS. 

I genuinely don't understand why they are even in the industry if they have no intention of offering the world something new and special and unique. 

MS's business model is largely based on software subscriptions as well as cloud infrastructure. 

Gaming is a huge software segment, with profitable subscription models, cloud hasn't gotten there yet for gaming, but it's something that has been pushed as the future for a while. Sony even tried pushing cloud gaming, and for a long time Gaikai was their biggest acquisition for SIE/SCE. 

MS feels they are in a good position to offer something akin to how they offer Office 365 or how Netflix offers streaming. They can offer a subscription with lots of big games, and they can potentially offer it off the back of their cloud infrastructure. 

Especially at a time when games are ballooning. Not to mention seeing more cross IP stuff. It feels like the future could be a big one for gaming. 

I don't think it's surprising that MS is in the industry. 

There are a bunch of challenges with following the Netflix model. Early on, it's definitely cheaper to license content. There's less competition. As things go on, it becomes more expensive to license and makes a lot of sense to have a backlog of huge IPs.

MS's sole intent is not to take away from Sony right now. They want to build a Netflix like games library. That includes wanting to put Gamepass on PlayStation, which would include all of their games outside of the service. (But Sony doesn't want GP.)

MS's challenge is to build a large stable of studios and IP to be able to crank out content to keep people subscribed for months. Which includes having a lot of variety to keep lots of people interested. Which is also why the keep talking about a Japanese developer.