By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

zealen said:
Replicant said:

It must've been a wet dream, right?

Sadly, it wasn't. For some dreamish reasons my PS5 wasn't working properly. Talk about anxiety :(

That's too bad xD

EricHiggin said:
Replicant said:

Bold: Hopefully not. Rather Microsoft than Google. With Microsoft I can at least play the games on my PC.

Same here, but they did decide Activision was a worthy partner, so. Hopefully they've learned from that. Maybe Activision was horrible enough that MS seems not so bad anymore, who knows?

Maybe even Google or Amazon don't seem so bad compared to Activision.

Around the Network
Replicant said:
EricHiggin said:

Same here, but they did decide Activision was a worthy partner, so. Hopefully they've learned from that. Maybe Activision was horrible enough that MS seems not so bad anymore, who knows?

Would they follow the MS first party multiplatform approach though? I would think they would have to for Destiny anyway, otherwise MS makes the most sense in that regard. I don't see SNY paying to lock down Bungie to then allow Destiny on all platforms.

Hogwarts Legacy. 12 days till PS5.

EricHiggin said:

I was really hoping they would back off on the max potential TF a bit and focus on I/O instead, as they have. PS5 got the need for speed!

Yeah same, the QoL improvements and controller has me more excited than just pure graphics and pixel count. Can't wait to see what Sony's first party can do with the hardware too.

EricHiggin said:
Replicant said:

Would they follow the MS first party multiplatform approach though? I would think they would have to for Destiny anyway, otherwise MS makes the most sense in that regard. I don't see SNY paying to lock down Bungie to then allow Destiny on all platforms.

Yeah, it's such a weird spot for Amazon and Google because it'll take years for them to attract a large base of users playing their games so currently they can't really buy studios and make their games exclusive. Therefore, I think Bungie would remain multiplat for the time being if bought by Amazon or Google. Sony and Microsoft would probably make Bungie console exclusive but still release their games on PC.

I wonder how Bungie's upcoming project "Matter" and NetEase's minority stake would play into it all if they were bought.

Around the Network
hinch said:
EricHiggin said:

I was really hoping they would back off on the max potential TF a bit and focus on I/O instead, as they have. PS5 got the need for speed!

Yeah same, the QoL improvements and controller has me more excited than just pure graphics and pixel count. Can't wait to see what Sony's first party can do with the hardware too.

Interesting timing. When @Hiku or @axumblade get around to it (no worries, there's plenty of time), I've suggested that the next poll is asking "Best thing about PS5". You guys see anything that should be changed before the poll goes up (besides less text)?

1. UI (Control Center Cards, Game Help, PiP, etc.)
2. Console being easy to access, repair, and customize
3. SSD brining super-fast reading and loading times
4. DualSense (adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, etc.)
5. 3D Audio bringing object-based 3D sound
6. Launch lineup and upcoming library of games
7. Full PS4 BC with some games boosted to 60fps
8. Free PS5 upgrades to over 40 PS4 games
9. Performance and graphics (60fps, 4K, RT, etc.)
10. Other

Replicant said:
EricHiggin said:

Yeah, it's such a weird spot for Amazon and Google because it'll take years for them to attract a large base of users playing their games so currently they can't really buy studios and make their games exclusive. Therefore, I think Bungie would remain multiplat for the time being if bought by Amazon or Google. Sony and Microsoft would probably make Bungie console exclusive but still release their games on PC.

I wonder how Bungie's upcoming project "Matter" and NetEase's minority stake would play into it all if they were bought.

LOL. I just looked some of this stuff up.

If Google or Amazon can't lock down Destiny, I don't really see them wanting to spend the money because it won't pull people into the Stadia platform. Unless "Matter" is something special and Bungie is willing to allow them to lock that down whenever it's ready.

I don't remember seeing the rumors and articles not so long ago about MS trying to buy Bungie, though apparently Bungie said that wasn't the case. Apparently Bungie was just too much and they couldn't come to a deal was part of the rumor. If there were talks, I wonder if SNY would ponder trying to outbid MS. It would be a huge purchase, but I'd assume SNY really wouldn't want to lose their strategic partnership with Bungie over Destiny to MS for good. It would also help SNY's first party FPS games since that's been a little bit of a weak point, especially as per XB gamers who've transitioned to PS4. Same with the controller. XB gamers have mentioned the DS4 wasn't as good as the XB, and now the DualSense looks a lot like an XB controller. Who knows, maybe SNY would buy Bungie if they had to, just to keep them away from MS, while allowing Destiny to remain multiplatform. It would buy them gamer goodwill, while also allowing them to make "Matter" exclusive to PS5 eventually.

As for NetEase, they're worth $55 billion and have $14 billion in cash on hand... Wow. Did not know that. Would Bungie sell/partner with them? They are an online gaming company, and as you've mentioned, they did make a nice 'little' investment into "Matter".

I've now suggested these to the mods.

1. PS5 UI
2. Customizable console
3. Super-fast SSD
4. DualSense
5. 3D Audio
6. Launch lineup
7. Full PS4 BC
8. Free PS5 upgrades
9. Performance (e.g. 60fps)
10. Other

Bandorr said: 
Has anyone actually tried 5) yet?

3 and 4 are a hard choice. 3) seems obvious long term benefits. 4) they may drop in a year.

As of now though? I'm not sure. 3) is really nice, but 4) could really change the way a game feels and plays.

I didn't even know I wanted 4) before the year started.

I have a hard time picking between SSD, 60fps, PS5 UI and DualSense. And that's until I've tried a horror game with 3D Audio.

EricHiggin said: 
LOL. I just looked some of this stuff up.

If Google or Amazon can't lock down Destiny, I don't really see them wanting to spend the money because it won't pull people into the Stadia platform. Unless "Matter" is something special and Bungie is willing to allow them to lock that down whenever it's ready.

I don't remember seeing the rumors and articles not so long ago about MS trying to buy Bungie, though apparently Bungie said that wasn't the case. Apparently Bungie was just too much and they couldn't come to a deal was part of the rumor. If there were talks, I wonder if SNY would ponder trying to outbid MS. It would be a huge purchase, but I'd assume SNY really wouldn't want to lose their strategic partnership with Bungie over Destiny to MS for good. It would also help SNY's first party FPS games since that's been a little bit of a weak point, especially as per XB gamers who've transitioned to PS4. Same with the controller. XB gamers have mentioned the DS4 wasn't as good as the XB, and now the DualSense looks a lot like an XB controller. Who knows, maybe SNY would buy Bungie if they had to, just to keep them away from MS, while allowing Destiny to remain multiplatform. It would buy them gamer goodwill, while also allowing them to make "Matter" exclusive to PS5 eventually.

As for NetEase, they're worth $55 billion and have $14 billion in cash on hand... Wow. Did not know that. Would Bungie sell/partner with them? They are an online gaming company, and as you've mentioned, they did make a nice 'little' investment into "Matter".

Bold: I could actually se NetEase buying them, yeah. I didn't know they had so much cash on their hands either. It'd be obvious for NetEase as they've already invested $100m in them. And Bungie would gain access to the huge Chinese market. Maybe a win win.

Replicant said:
hinch said:

Interesting timing. When @Hiku or @axumblade get around to it (no worries, there's plenty of time), I've suggested that the next poll is asking "Best thing about PS5". You guys see anything that should be changed before the poll goes up (besides less text)?

1. UI (Control Center Cards, Game Help, PiP, etc.)
2. Console being easy to access, repair, and customize
3. SSD brining super-fast reading and loading times
4. DualSense (adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, etc.)
5. 3D Audio bringing object-based 3D sound
6. Launch lineup and upcoming library of games
7. Full PS4 BC with some games boosted to 60fps
8. Free PS5 upgrades to over 40 PS4 games
9. Performance and graphics (60fps, 4K, RT, etc.)
10. Other

Yeah great idea. Definitely want to see what everyone's most wanted feature from next gen for PS (so far).

A lot of stuff to look forward to in a few weeks time

Last edited by hinch - on 30 October 2020