By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Watching destiny 2 beyond light got me wondering...how “organic” would it be if Sony acquired them? They went independent after their deal with Activision and always had great relation$hip with Sony. Killzone made by Bungie would be nuts.

Around the Network
zealen said:
Watching destiny 2 beyond light got me wondering...how “organic” would it be if Sony acquired them? They went independent after their deal with Activision and always had great relation$hip with Sony. Killzone made by Bungie would be nuts.

There seems to be something going on with Bungie at least. Whenever a US based company is acquired, an officer role is added under the title "Corporation Service Company". Most recent examples being Insomniac Games and Zenimax Media before they were acquired. Same thing happened to Bungie earlier this year. Bungie has denied any rumor but that's standard practice.

But Microsoft would rather empty their war chest than see Bungie in bed with Sony. They'd fight hard in a bidding war.
I read Sony's statement about "organic mergers and acquisitions" as applying to close partners anyway. And if that's the case, Bluepoint Games or Housemarque would make much more sense.

Zombie9ers said:
hinch said:

Bluepoint Games delivering. Looks great. And this is just a launch title xP

Right?!  Can't wait to see what Naughty Dog and Santa Monica do on the PS5.  What they were able to do on the PS4 blows away anything the competition has shown so far for next gen IMO.

PS WWS always brings the goods. That's what gets me excited for a new generation delivering something new and pushing the boundaries regardless of hardware. I decided I must have a PS5 at launch when they announced GOW: Ragnarok lol

Funnily enough I'm looking forward to playing Astrobot just as much as Demons Souls. It looks so fun to play.

Last edited by hinch - on 29 October 2020

Replicant said:
zealen said:

There seems to be something going on with Bungie at least. Whenever a US based company is acquired, an officer role is added under the title "Corporation Service Company". Most recent examples being Insomniac Games and Zenimax Media before they were acquired. Same thing happened to Bungie earlier this year. Bungie has denied any rumor but that's standard practice.

But Microsoft would rather empty their war chest than see Bungie in bed with Sony. They'd fight hard in a bidding war.
I read Sony's statement about "organic mergers and acquisitions" as applying to close partners anyway. And if that's the case, Bluepoint Games or Housemarque would make much more sense.

I'm guessing its Microsoft. 343 Industries is floundering at the moment. One of their newly appointed creative directors for Halo Infinite quit just recently. Plus they said they were looking to acquire other studios so that would make most sense to me. Microsoft are probably looking to get Blooper as well since they've been working together for a while.

I'd say Sony will be looking towards Bluepoint Games since they have a good relationship and history, with a great track record.

hinch said:

I'm guessing its Microsoft. 343 Industries is floundering at the moment. One of their newly appointed creative directors for Halo Infinite quit just recently. Plus they said they were looking to acquire other studios so that would make most sense to me. Microsoft are probably looking to get Blooper as well since they've been working together for a while.

I'd say Sony will be looking towards Bluepoint Games since they have a good relationship and history, with a great track record.

I agree. Both with Microsoft acquiring Bungie and that Bluepoint would be an obvious acquisition for Sony.
Don't think Sony has ever bought a game developer that wasn't practically exclusive anyway? At least not when looking at their current studios.

Studios founded internally:
Pixelopus
Polyphony Digital
SIE Japan
SIE London
SIE San Diego
SIE Santa Monica

2nd parties acquired:
Bend Studio
Guerrilla Games
Insomniac Games
Media Molecule
Naughty Dog
Sucker Punch Productions

Around the Network

Sony is also hiring and creating a brand new studio in Malaysia which reflects Jim Ryan’s latest statement of expanding studios organically.

Blood_Tears said:
Sony is also hiring and creating a brand new studio in Malaysia which reflects Jim Ryan’s latest statement of expanding studios organically.

I remember reading about that. Do we know if that'll be a support studio like San Mateo Studio and XDEV Europe?

Edit: Support studio according to ResetEra.

Last edited by Replicant - on 29 October 2020

@Replicant That's true. If they do acquire BP, I hope they let them make their own game. That would be great to see what comes of it.

@hinch Agreed 👀 (hiding the fact that I high key want them to give me remakes of Syphon Filter, Ape Escape and Legend of Dragoon).

Replicant said:
zealen said:

A biding war would only occur if they had public said they are for sale. Otherwise these type of deals are made with NDA contracts to start talking, so it wouldn`t be a bid war, only a is that company offering enough war.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."