By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Runa216 said:
hinch said:

Looks like I need to pick up this GoT with my PS5 this holiday

I just deleted the install data from my PS4 because I found out the clearly superior version is gonna be on PS5. So, instead of mucking about trying to beat it before PS5 comes out (since I haven't started it yet like the fool I am), I'll consider it a sort of better version of the game, like a PS5 upgrade, and treat it as a PS5 game! Gonna be doing the same with Spider-Man Remastered and Horizon Zero Dawn. 

Haha, tbh I would probably do the same. I stopped playing FFVII Remake a while ago so I can play it with these enhancements coming with the new console. If I'm gonna experience a game for first time it might as well be on the superior version lol. I still have yet to properly play Spiderman so this is a nice bonus.

If they upgrade of NaughtyDog's games like Uncharted 4, I'm definitely going to replay them on the PS5 at some point.

Around the Network
hinch said:
Runa216 said:

I just deleted the install data from my PS4 because I found out the clearly superior version is gonna be on PS5. So, instead of mucking about trying to beat it before PS5 comes out (since I haven't started it yet like the fool I am), I'll consider it a sort of better version of the game, like a PS5 upgrade, and treat it as a PS5 game! Gonna be doing the same with Spider-Man Remastered and Horizon Zero Dawn. 

Haha, tbh I would probably do the same. I stopped playing FFVII Remake a while ago so I can play it with these enhancements coming with the new console. If I'm gonna experience a game for first time it might as well be on the superior version lol. I still have yet to properly play Spiderman so this is a nice bonus.

If they upgrade of NaughtyDog's games like Uncharted 4, I'm definitely going to replay them on the PS5 at some point.

I have a handful of games I wanna complete, like Red Dead Redemption II and FFVII Remake (I could see myself returning to that game, I love it but I'm kinda hesitant for many reasons). I'm gonna finish RDR2 on my current playthrough, then on Ps5 play it again and do the online stuff. Just all the little ways I get to enjoy my games again. Xbox is doing stuff, too, but Xbox doesn't have PS exclusives so I tend to not care too much. 

I was just thinking about it and...even the Xbox games I like (Ori, Cuphead, Sunset Overdrive, Rare Replay) are all bold, colourful, vibrant games with a lot of character. The games I don't like are the generic shooters and racers (like Forza, Gears, and Halo), which is probably why I don't care much for Xbox but love Playstation. But that's a discussion for another thread, I'm sure. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Nice. RDR 2 is also on my 'to complete' list. Yeah, my backlog is insane, yet I keep going back to old games lol. Will surely go back into RDR 2 and play through it properly as its been sitting in its case for months. But yeah the issue with FF7 is the long wait for the next chapter :/

Idd Microsoft has been playing it way too safe this last generation. Which is why I skipped the One and most of their output the last several years. I loved the 360 as the exclusives they had were great and so diverse (Alan Wake, Mass Effect 1, Lost Odyssey, Prey etc) but I can't put myself to play most of their recent games. I have tried Cuphead though (that game is hard AF!) All I can say is they're looking to be improving their output since they've expanded their studios now have own Bethesda. But eh, pass on everything bar Fable and Elderscrolls. But even then same old franchises.. which is why PS will always be my goto for consoles. Always fresh new AAA IPs games every gen.

hinch said:

Nice. RDR 2 is also on my 'to complete' list. Yeah, my backlog is insane, yet I keep going back to old games lol. Will surely go back into RDR 2 and play through it properly as its been sitting in its case for months. But yeah the issue with FF7 is the long wait for the next chapter :/

hah, yeah. I've got Red Dead Redemption to finish, FFVII to finish, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and dozens of others...but here I am playing Bloodborne for the 15th time helping my friends through only to then go and play Dark Souls 1-3 on repeat. Trust me, I get it. Sometimes there's truly nothing like going back to the comfort of a favourite. honestly, I've beaten Dark Souls III and Bloodborne so many times and yet I'm fully prepared to start over on PS5. I know I don't have to, but I kinda want to! I just love playing those games. 

The reason I'm not doing too well in FFVII remake is...honestly it's actually kinda hard (She says after talking about how frequently she plays Dark Souls and bloodborne). and this is just on normal mode! Mostly it doesn't mesh well with my 'play a bit, do something else' general mentality as of late. I write for a living, so I'll often do something like 'play Dark souls till I die or kill a boss. Write 1 paragraph for every death, 1000 words for every boss' or 'play Donkey Kong Country, beat a level, do a paragraph'. With FFVII...it's so engaging and so well made and the design philosophy demands hours of your time all at once. You can't cut up your play into bite sized chunks and move on like you can with so many other games. That's the main reason I haven't been playing it. and because I haven't been playing it, I have to relearn how the combat system works every time I return to it. 

Love that game, though. Seriously, I know a lot of people are pissed for various reasons but I think it's brilliant. I got a warm fuzzy feeling deep inside every time I booted it up. I'm even using the Tifa Nibelheim PS4 theme right now with her on the water tower looking at the stars. Damn, we really are in a golden age of gaming. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
Replicant said:

Apparently, all of the 4,000 PS4 games will be playable on PS5 through BC except for the 10 below (link).
Full BC with all PS generations would've been neat but at least PS4 BC is near perfect.

DWVR
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner

I wonder what makes that 10 stand out from the rest. What made those 10 in particular not come forward. 

You and me both. I've seen people speculate that it's due to expired licenses (e.g. music and car models) and I guess that's true. I don't see any other reason unless a publisher just REALLY didn't want its game on next gen.

I haven't yet jumped the VR train but considering to do so with PSVR 2 when (if) Half-Life Alyx is announced. I kinda planned to try out Robinson by the time I'd have a VR headset but apparently it's not that good so I guess I'll live.

Around the Network

This is great news. I'll be able to play TLOU Factions across 3 generations. Best multiplayer game ever.

Last edited by Replicant - on 13 October 2020

Runa216 said:

hah, yeah. I've got Red Dead Redemption to finish, FFVII to finish, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and dozens of others...but here I am playing Bloodborne for the 15th time helping my friends through only to then go and play Dark Souls 1-3 on repeat. Trust me, I get it. Sometimes there's truly nothing like going back to the comfort of a favourite. honestly, I've beaten Dark Souls III and Bloodborne so many times and yet I'm fully prepared to start over on PS5. I know I don't have to, but I kinda want to! I just love playing those games. 

The reason I'm not doing too well in FFVII remake is...honestly it's actually kinda hard (She says after talking about how frequently she plays Dark Souls and bloodborne). and this is just on normal mode! Mostly it doesn't mesh well with my 'play a bit, do something else' general mentality as of late. I write for a living, so I'll often do something like 'play Dark souls till I die or kill a boss. Write 1 paragraph for every death, 1000 words for every boss' or 'play Donkey Kong Country, beat a level, do a paragraph'. With FFVII...it's so engaging and so well made and the design philosophy demands hours of your time all at once. You can't cut up your play into bite sized chunks and move on like you can with so many other games. That's the main reason I haven't been playing it. and because I haven't been playing it, I have to relearn how the combat system works every time I return to it. 

Love that game, though. Seriously, I know a lot of people are pissed for various reasons but I think it's brilliant. I got a warm fuzzy feeling deep inside every time I booted it up. I'm even using the Tifa Nibelheim PS4 theme right now with her on the water tower looking at the stars. Damn, we really are in a golden age of gaming. 

Lol true. At some point you just gotta think.. I really should really stop buying new stuff and get around playing these. But eh.. I'll boot up Uncharted 2 or Max Payne 3 again xD

Ah I can see that would be an issue, RPG's like that aren't really jump in and out of play and require time and investment. But yeah, FFVII Remake is amazing, particularly the music.. My game of the generation thus far, and I haven't even completed it yet.

I have an odd obsession with numbers, so sometimes I just like to compare and contrast things while doing all I can to see, for my personal references, how well games and movies are doing overall. Today I got bored and updated my "Console Exclusives" Charts that I started in 2017 to see how well Switch, PS4, and Xbox One were doing compared to one another in terms of what I feel is the best representation of what an 'exclusive' is. Very few games are TRUE exclusives anymore, as many games are on PC or mobile, so I've only been comparing and contrasting between the consoles of this generation. If a game came out on Switch but not PS4/Xbox One, then it's a Switch Console exclusive even if it's on PC or 3DS. Same with PS4 games being on PS3/Vita or what-have-you.

So I did a thing where I used Metacritic to see how many good or great games came out on each system, regardless of whether they were on PC or whatever. I had to make a few rules, though:

1 - Console Exclusives only (PC/Mobile/Past gens don't matter, it's a 3-way console fight)
2 - Must have 20 reviews (I can't do every little indie game that nobody's heard of or cares about)
3 - Numbers are for this year only (If they come out on other consoles later, it still counts for this year)
4 - Reviews are limited to 75+ scores (Anything lower is considered mediocre on Metacritic)

Pretty simple rules, but I had to narrow it down to games that were well-known and well-reviewed. You know, the sorts of games that have an impact on the industry. I did it this way because I don't have all week to sift through every indie game that has 3 reviews or the games that most outlets didn't like or resonate with. 20 reviews, 75 or higher on Metacritic. Other consoles don't matter, the future has yet to matter. For the sake of this data, it's up to this year only.

Witht that said, I have 3 stages of what I consider 'good or great' games. Anything 90 or above, 80 or above, and 75 or above. The 90 or above games are the movers and shakers, the games that really resonated with players and/or critics. The cream of the Crop. 80 or higher is consiered to be a great game. A game that can help define a console or have significant impact on gaming. 80 seems to be the threshold for quality in modern times and the number I used to adhere to when I was on GameRankings (That site is now sadly defunct and I have to move on). However, now that I use Metacritic, I extended the numbers to be anything 75 and higher, because that's what Metacritic uses as its green, positive scores. Not mixed or decent, but positive.

Also, these numbers are subject to change. The year is not over, so not only can existing games get new reviews that can alter their scores, but there will be more games coming out that may or may not fall within this threshold. And with the PS5 and Xbox Series X coming out within a month or so, I imagine there will be some movers and shakers in the industry to come.

So without further ado, here are some interesting numbers:

For the 90 and above category, we currently have 4 games. 2 on PS4, and 2 on Nintendo Switch. None on Xbox One. I thought Microsoft Flight Simulator was going to be on my list, but it's PC exclusive so it doesn't count for a console discussion.

PS4 - 2 games
NS - 2 games
XBO - 0 games

For the 80 and above category (Which includes the 90 and above category), we have a similar story. I counted 9 more PS4 games, giving it a total of 11, and 8 more Switch games, giving it a total of 10. Again, no Xbox games in there, as even the ones that I thought were exclusive like Ori and the Will of the Wisps as well as Wasteland 3 are on other consoles, Switch and PS4, respectively.

PS4 - 11 Games
NS - 10 games
XBO - 0 games

Going further down the list to include all games with a 75 or higher, Nintendo got a bit of a boost - as a lot of their indie games are good but not great and Paper Mario was a bit of a mixed bag. Nintendo got 7 more titles added to the list, while Sony got 4 more. This brought up our totals to 17 on Switch and 15 on PS4. This is also where the only game for Xbox on this entire list is added, Tell me Why with a respectable if unremarkable 78 score.

NS - 17 Games
PS4 - 15 games
XBO - 1 Game

So yeah! There ya have it! This is why I think that both Nintendo and Sony can do such a good job coexisting. They both have a large number of games (And a surprising number of games - mostly Japanese - that are on both consoles but not Xbox), and both have pretty good-looking futures ahead of them. I'm eagerly anticipating Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Demon's Souls Remake, and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, myself. Bravely Default II as well, but I don't think it's coming out this year.

So if anyone needs some hard data when discussing, comparing, and contrasting between the three consoles, this is a pretty thorough breakdown and as good an indicator as any that you're on the right path with a PS4/5 and a Switch!

Here's my actual data, with caveats and notes (Such as the 'also on PC' tag) included as well as their metascores.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Demons Souls remake listed on PS4 by a Hungarian Retailer? If this is true I think we may see some preorders being cancelled, or am I overreacting?
Source: https://twistedvoxel.com/demons-souls-remake-listed-ps4/

zealen said:
Demons Souls remake listed on PS4 by a Hungarian Retailer? If this is true I think we may see some preorders being cancelled, or am I overreacting?
Source: https://twistedvoxel.com/demons-souls-remake-listed-ps4/

Nah, most likely a mistake. Sony already confirmed PS5 only.