By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Ka-pi96 said:
So... what games are people playing on their PlayStations these days then?

I'm on Digimon Cyber Sleuth right now, and I'm enjoying it. The basic battle system reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy X. I just wish the story was better, it gets in the way of the game at times as is.

On PS4, I'm playing Ratchet And Clank 2016, with Monster Hunter World as a secondary. I think I'm done with Counterspy. On the Vita, I'm playing a little bit of EDF 2017, and EDF 2, helping others in co-op. I'm in 2 EDF chat groups. Also on Vita, still playing a little Rogue Legacy, and Grand Kingdom too. Hoping to get on the Vita tonight to start Dokuro. Usually don't play so many games at once. Strange days. I've been wanting to play Digimon Cyber Sleuth for quite a while. Still regret passing on the physical copy.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

I have similar feelings about Horizon's melee combat. It's too limited and simplistic. Having played Breath of the Wild before Horizon, the former's melee combat feels more fulfilling. BOTW only dedicates one button for melee attacks compared to two buttons in Horizon. However, you can use a wide array of weapons in the former. You have the 1-handed swords, 2-handed swords, spears, clubs, and wands. Some of the weapons are elemental which can be very advantageous such as using an electric spear to stun a guardian.

I would like the sequel to mix the melee combat around. Maybe introduce different types of spears. Have one made for taking out components more easily. Maybe have a spear that deals little damage per hit, but gives more attack speed and strings more hits per combo and have another deal more damage at the cost of attack speed and combo potential.

I'm playing For Honor Starter Edition on PC. The game shocked me as the combat is really good. I'm playing with keyboard and its still fun.

I haven't touched my PS4 since GT Sport got the Le Man update. I'll fire it up when they release Sierra in July end.

-whoops. hit reply instead of quote.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Ka-pi96 said:
COKTOE said:

On PS4, I'm playing Ratchet And Clank 2016, with Monster Hunter World as a secondary. I think I'm done with Counterspy. On the Vita, I'm playing a little bit of EDF 2017, and EDF 2, helping others in co-op. I'm in 2 EDF chat groups. Also on Vita, still playing a little Rogue Legacy, and Grand Kingdom too. Hoping to get on the Vita tonight to start Dokuro. Usually don't play so many games at once. Strange days. I've been wanting to play Digimon Cyber Sleuth for quite a while. Still regret passing on the physical copy.

What kind of game is EDF anyway? I've heard it a lot before but don't really know anything about it.

And wow, that really is a lot of the games at once :O

EDF is a 3rd person shooter at it's core. It's evocative of Starship Troopers, in that giant insects are part of the enemy force, but you're also fighting against kaiju, as well mechanized enemies. Lots of set piece missions. 2-4 character classes depending on the game. The player levels up by picking up armor pieces on the battlefield, which increase HP, as well as weapon boxes which grant the player a random weapon from the very large list ( about 200 weapons per class ) of armaments. They are very light on story, and have a B-Movie vibe. EDF 2017, 2025 and 4.1 ( a remake of 2025 ), seem to take place in a different "universe" than, EDF 2 and EDF 5. Single player, or 2-4 player online co-op. All the games have split screen local co-op as well, or in the Vita's case, ad hoc system link. I like it! :)

Around the Network

Shining Resonance Refrain is out today.

twintail said:
Ka-pi96 said:
So... what games are people playing on their PlayStations these days then?

I'm on Digimon Cyber Sleuth right now, and I'm enjoying it. The basic battle system reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy X. I just wish the story was better, it gets in the way of the game at times as is.

On Horizon atm.

Dont dig the melee combat (coming off GoW) but its serviceable. And platforming seems a step back from UC4. So definitely if there is a sequel I would love these 2 ares to be improved. Better platforming mechanics would actual make traversal in the game a lot of fun. Combat doesnt need to be super involved but it should feel less floaty.

Otherwise the game is cool. Though like most open world games, the open nature of the game doesnt really grab me much. But Arrow combat, the art direction and general theme are good enough that I have no real qualms playing the game. its fun.

the biggest hope i have for the sequel is that they make the open world more interesting. They had a couple of big settlements in the game that looked great, but out in the world there was a lack of things to discover. It didn't really have what games like SKyrim or The Witcher had where you can stumble on a really interesting side mission that takes two hours and is its own separate thing.

that and better human A.I, more customisation in outfits and weapons, some more classic RPG features like building relationships and owning settlements, and more influence on the world, like the groups you get involved with just kind of end as soon as you become their leader.

great game overall though

celador said:

the biggest hope i have for the sequel is that they make the open world more interesting. They had a couple of big settlements in the game that looked great, but out in the world there was a lack of things to discover. It didn't really have what games like SKyrim or The Witcher had where you can stumble on a really interesting side mission that takes two hours and is its own separate thing.

that and better human A.I, more customisation in outfits and weapons, some more classic RPG features like building relationships and owning settlements, and more influence on the world, like the groups you get involved with just kind of end as soon as you become their leader.

great game overall though

My guess is that Guerilla had to make compromises due to the limitations of the hardware. The game is made for the base PS4, first and foremost, and the CPU is a major bottleneck. It's the reason why the scope of The Witcher 3 was scaled back. I expect Horizon 2 to have significantly higher NPC density and more complex behaviors thanks to Ryzen (possibly Zen 2).

News update:

Job Listings Suggest Unannounced PS4 and PC MMORPG, PS4 and Arcade Robot Action Game, PS4 Strategy RPG, and Multiplatform 3D Fighting Action Game - Gematsu

List of unannounced games and possible companies. Click on the link for the full details:

• New IP! Major Online Game Development (PlayStation 4 / PC), possibly by Bandai Namco
  • Robot IP Action Game Project (PlayStation 4 / Arcade), possibly by Bandai Namco
  • HD Machine Consumer Game Development (PlayStation 4), possibly by Bandai Namco
  • 3D Fighting Action Game (PlayStation 4 / Xbox One / Switch / PC), no possible company mentioned

I wanna say the new 3D fighting game is either a new DBZ game or something else.