By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Oooooh clever

Around the Network
coolbeans said:

I'm surprised Sony's taking the 'collectible steelbook w/out a game disc' approach for their big collector's editions. Out of all the AAA publishers, I figured they'd hold steadfast against that trend.

[Update: Just took a glance at Forbidden West's big editions and spotted that too.  Either I missed that before or totally forgot b/c my presumption for their big editions was game disc + steelbook.  It's such a good system too.]

Yes to odd to go to a physical collection and make the game a digital code, together with several of the bonus like soundtrack and art. That is something I really don't like.

I think for such a collection they should have the disk and code included.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

gtotheunit91 said:

Oooooh clever

The day Odin will be killed?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

coolbeans said:
gtotheunit91 said:

I didn't think Sony would be so embracing of live-service games either, but, things change.

As long as they continue to put out top notch games, it doesn't bother me much. 

But the live-service shift makes sense given the potential score one success can bring.  This is more akin to the annoying penny-pinching moves like trimming down or outright removing game manuals.  There are two obnoxious extremes to this that I've noticed: triple-digit collector's edition w/out a steelbook or triple-digit collector's edition w/out a disc.  

If you're paying so much for the Big Kahuna Edition, it feels right to at least afford said consumer the opportunity to share their copy.  

To be fair, this is probably in partially due to digital only console gamers having access the collectors edition as well. They should have done two SKU's tbh.

Not into collecting overpriced plastic throwaways, so standard version for me. Can't wait.

hinch said:
coolbeans said:

But the live-service shift makes sense given the potential score one success can bring.  This is more akin to the annoying penny-pinching moves like trimming down or outright removing game manuals.  There are two obnoxious extremes to this that I've noticed: triple-digit collector's edition w/out a steelbook or triple-digit collector's edition w/out a disc.  

If you're paying so much for the Big Kahuna Edition, it feels right to at least afford said consumer the opportunity to share their copy.  

To be fair, this is probably in partially due to digital only console gamers having access the collectors edition as well. They should have done two SKU's tbh.

Not into collecting overpriced plastic throwaways, so standard version for me. Can't wait.

No harm in doing both options or as I said for the price they charge give disk and download so even people that want to keep their case closed can download and play without having to put disk. For me GT7 (was disc for PS5 and code for PS4 version) was a good option, would be even better if there was code for PS5 as well because this I play everyday for a while than swap with another game.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Oooooh clever

That might depend on if you can complete the game in a day

coolbeans said:
hinch said:

That's a fair consideration too.

It sucks for physical only collectors, and for such a big release. Granted this generation is a little different from the last.. where there's a digital console SKU which makes up a large portion of the user base. Still strange since the people who are into these, would've most likely have gone for the full fat PS5. Think Sony are the only ones that do this on their games on their console (like HFW). Other publishers do a disc release for their collectors edition, on consoles.

gtotheunit91 said:
coolbeans said:

I'm surprised Sony's taking the 'collectible steelbook w/out a game disc' approach for their big collector's editions. Out of all the AAA publishers, I figured they'd hold steadfast against that trend.

[Update: Just took a glance at Forbidden West's big editions and spotted that too.  Either I missed that before or totally forgot b/c my presumption for their big editions was game disc + steelbook.  It's such a good system too.]

I didn't think Sony would be so embracing of live-service games either, but, things change.

As long as they continue to put out top notch games, it doesn't bother me much. 

To me, I think it's important to have that variety. Many of us hate live services...but the reality is that they're popular as hell and make tonnes of money for their publishers. Clearly, it's good business to go where the audience lies. I mean, if the general public hated games like that as much as we do, they wouldn't keep getting made. 

Thing is, the key is that Sony has always been good about balancing genres and styles and audiences. Honestly, I only like 25-40% of Sony games (and 15-20% of all games), but with how many games there are I'm still drowning in choice. I hate Gran Turismo and I've never been a huge fan of Uncharted or The Last of Us for example, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty for me to do, still. I'm happy with stuff like Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank and Horizon. I actively hated the original God of War games but 2018 was one of my all time faves and Ragnarok is one of my most anticipated. 

Point is, Sony hits so many genres and audiences and styles that even if I don't like 3/4 of their offerings, that remaining 1/4 tends to be great enough to keep me happy. That's why I keep saying that gaming is better now than it ever has been. sure we got a lot of terrible business practices that dominate the headlines but you can ignore all games you hate and still be overwhelmed with choice (unless you're some mega hipster that hates everything; in which case, why even be a gamer if you hate all games).

So yeah, as long as Sony continues to put out great stuff and blend the old with the new, I don't mind if they try some shit that doesn't interest me. I'll never play Destruction all-Stars or Gran Turismo or MLB The Show and that's fine because I'm in love with Ghost of Tsushima and God of War and Horizon and Bloodborne and Ratchet & Clank, etc. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

hinch said:
DonFerrari said:

That might depend on if you can complete the game in a day

coolbeans said:

That's a fair consideration too.

It sucks for physical only collectors, and for such a big release. Granted this generation is a little different from the last.. where there's a digital console SKU which makes up a large portion of the user base. Still strange since the people who are into these, would've most likely have gone for the full fat PS5. Think Sony are the only ones that do this on their games on their console (like HFW). Other publishers do a disc release for their collectors edition, on consoles.

Perhaps Sony is counting on us being silly and buying the collectors edition plus physical media to nick and dime a little more

hinch said:

I experienced and was fantastic.

My god, can you imagine if GoW Ragnarok, Starfield, and Breath of the Wild 2 all came out around the same time period as originally intended??? Pokémon Scarlet and Violet is already going to be a MAJOR November release. 20 million in sales easily I imagine, but I can't imagine if all these major games released at the same time.

For the best though!