By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

BasilZero said:
Runa216 said:

Yeah, I personally did like FFXV but even I have many reservations about that game. 

Yeah, its not perfect and I wouldnt put it in my top 5 or 10 favorite FF games list but I really enjoyed it.

To me, FFXV's interactions between the 4 main characters and the standard gameplay were great alongside the main game's music (not the classic FF game music).

The main downside was the story and the rest of the cast of characters.

But other than that, I think I spent at least 50 hours on just exploration in the open world aspect.

Two Words: Chapter 13.

Also, I felt that pretty much ALL the story from the point it goes linear is absolutely absurdly stupid garbage. The world building and character interactions up to that point were pretty awesome, all things considered, but once the story stopped being about the four bros chillin in a cross-country trip and actually started being about a plot...it lost itself. I do truly hope that XVI has a good story (And since it's written by the same guy/team as XIV, which apparently is amazing in that regard) I have high hopes. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
hinch said:

Nice yeah there's something about mainline releases of FF on PS consoles that feels special (and usually are). Outside of FFXV which I did not like, like at all. XVI looks to be a return to form for the series, with its setting and all and I'm definitely hyped for it. Also, by the time it releases there should be a bigger library of games for it and you can probably get some good deals on them.

I personally bought a PS5 because of GoW: Ragnarok but also highly anticipating FF XVI too and other games from the likes of Naughty Dog.

Yeah, I personally did like FFXV but even I have many reservations about that game. 

To be fair I played for about an hour or so and it didn't click for me, so maybe its not quite a fair assessment. Think it might the j-pop boy band road trip, open world and the slightly janky combat putting me off *shrug*. Might try it again at some point.

Then again I did enjoy FFXIII and even XIII-2.. so my tastes in FF games may differ lol.

New State of Play may be coming next month according to Tom Henderson. Also on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/rzrvp5/tom_henderson_says_next_sony_event_probably_in/

Could be a big one. PSVR2? FFXVI update? What are your guesses?

Last edited by hinch - on 09 January 2022

@BasilZero Woo, someone else that doesn't hate the game. I found the games to be a relatively decent affair, with really addictive combat and amazing music. Story wasn't amazing but quite memorable. I didn't get around to play Lightning Returns though.

I have the normal edition of XV on PS4 and the PS+ Royal edition. Guessing the latter version is better? Thought I had it on PC as well but nope lol.

As for the event, hopefully its true. Wouldn't mind seeing update for games like FFXVI or God of War though I'll keep my expectation on check and they'll probably show some smaller titles like Ghostwire: Tokyo.

coolbeans said:
hinch said:

New State of Play may be coming next month according to Tom Henderson. Also on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/rzrvp5/tom_henderson_says_next_sony_event_probably_in/

Could be a big one. PSVR2? FFXVI update? What are your guesses?

I mean... it seems weird to do a big PS VR2 blowout just after CES.  I feel like that'd wait until E3.  My guesses: PixelOpus' next game announced, Little Devil Inside release date/window, Stray release date/window, more info on Ghost Wire, and other neat stuff.

That's true. it might be a little too close considering we've had a an announcement of its name and specifications already. Saying that, Sony has done bit big reveals before early in the year (PS4 reveal and games blowout was back in Feb '13). Realistically they'll probably save it for their Summer event. 

Around the Network
hinch said:

@BasilZero Woo, someone else that doesn't hate the game. I found the games to be a relatively decent affair, with really addictive combat and amazing music. Story wasn't amazing but quite memorable. I didn't get around to play Lightning Returns though.

I have the normal edition of XV on PS4 and the PS+ Royal edition. Guessing the latter version is better? Thought I had it on PC as well but nope lol.

As for the event, hopefully its true. Wouldn't mind seeing update for games like FFXVI or God of War though I'll keep my expectation on check and they'll probably show some smaller titles like Ghostwire: Tokyo.

I also like FFXIII and FFXIII-2

About you not liking FFXV (which I liked but not immensively), when I originally played FFXII I almost hated it (the change from photorealism to cartoon, turn based to "real-time", controlling the part to a single unit, random encounter to seeing on the map) but when I played the remaster/remake on PS4 I absolutely loved it, would say my personal ranking is IX, X, XII, VIIR, XIII, XV, XIV, VIII. Haven`t played the original VII or the prior ones nor the XI.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Your ranking is pretty much mine without XII or XIV; both I haven't played. VII is one you really have to play if you like FF games. Its probably my favourite next to IX. VI would be in the upper tier as well.

There were rumours of SE remaking FFIX in a similar vein at 7. Not sure if true, but that would be awesome to see as it IX was really overlooked at time of launch ,since it came in the tail end of the PSX's life.

I had a blast to play FFVII Remake Intergrade on PC with the mods. Can't wait for the Part. 2 and FFXVI on PS5.

hinch said:

Your ranking is pretty much mine without XII or XIV; both I haven't played. VII is one you really have to play if you like FF games. Its probably my favourite next to IX. VI would be in the upper tier as well.

There were rumours of SE remaking FFIX in a similar vein at 7. Not sure if true, but that would be awesome to see as it IX was really overlooked at time of launch ,since it came in the tail end of the PSX's life.

Played FFVII until the "drag queen" part, graphics is to outdated to my liking = so I`m really excited for the remakes, liked the 7R a lot.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

BasilZero said:
DonFerrari said:

I also like FFXIII and FFXIII-2

About you not liking FFXV (which I liked but not immensively), when I originally played FFXII I almost hated it (the change from photorealism to cartoon, turn based to "real-time", controlling the part to a single unit, random encounter to seeing on the map) but when I played the remaster/remake on PS4 I absolutely loved it, would say my personal ranking is IX, X, XII, VIIR, XIII, XV, XIV, VIII. Haven`t played the original VII or the prior ones nor the XI.

hinch said:

My ranking of my top 10 favorite FF games (mainline) are....

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Final Fantasy IV
5. Final Fantasy X
6. Final Fantasy V
7. Final Fantasy III
8. Final Fantasy XV
9. Final Fantasy XIII
10. Final Fantasy VIII

I've played/own almost all of the FF games in the series except for XI and XIV because they are MMOs.

-Final Fantasy I (NES, PS1, GBA, PSP, iOS and PC)
-Final Fantasy II (NES, PS1, GBA, PSP, iOS and PC)
-Final Fantasy III (NES, DS, PSP, iOS and both versions of PC)
-Final Fantasy IV (SNES, PS1, GBA, DS, PSP, iOS and both versions of PC)
-Final Fantasy IV After Years (PSP, iOS and PC)
-Final Fantasy V (SNES, PS1, GBA, iOS, and both versions of PC)
-Final Fantasy VI (SNES, PS1, GBA, iOS, and PC)
-Final Fantasy VII (PS1, PS4, Switch, iOS and PC)
-Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS4)
-Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core (PSP)
-Final Fantasy VIII (PS1, PS4, Switch, iOS and original and remaster versions on PC)
-Final Fantasy IX (PS1, PS4, Switch, iOS and PC)
-Final Fantasy X (PS2, PS3, PS4, Switch and PC)
-Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2, PS3, PS4, Switch and PC)
-Final Fantasy XII (PS2, PS4, Switch and PC)
-Final Fantasy XIII (PS3 and PC)
-Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3 and PC)
-Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns (PS3 and PC)
-Final Fantasy XV (PS4 and PC)
-Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition (PS4)
-Final Fantasy XV A King's Tale (PS4)
-World of Final Fantasy (PS4 and PC)
-Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4 and PC)
-Final Fantasy Legend (GB)
-Final Fantasy Legend II (GB)
-Final Fantasy Legend III (GB)
-Final Fantasy Adventure (GB and the Switch Mana collection)
-Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
-Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1, PSP, iOS)
-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
-Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light (DS)
-Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS)
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GCN, Switch and PS4)
-Final Fantasy Dissidia (PSP)
-Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim 012 (PSP)
-Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PC)
-Final Fantasy Mobius (before it got delisted - on iOS and PC)
-Final Fantasy Brave Exvius (iOS)
-Final Fantasy Record Keeper (iOS)

I hope they remake IX - its one of my most favorites but VI deserves a 3D remake.

For me FF IX is one of the best games ever, and like the first game to blow my mind (one of the first games I played when bought my PS1), and it is still pretty even just playing the enhanced por for PSVita or PS4, so even though I would love to play a remake I would also accept VI being made first since I didn`t play the SNES era FFs (and the "remakes" on portable for the first titles didn't get me going because well they aren't the high production value that is staple for me on FF).

I liked world of final fantasy and the first tactics as well, Type-0 I liked more or less (couldn`t bother to finish yet), Dissidia played very little, the Theatic Rythm or whatever was very funny, and Brave Exvius I have played since launch and regularly sits on top 5k on the event ranks.