By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Sony opening up beta firmware for NVMe support for selected beta testers - https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

M.2 SSD requirements for PS5 consoles

Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD
Capacity: 250GB – 4TB
Cooling structure: Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink. You can attach one to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format, or double-sided format. There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in.
Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended
Module width: 22mm width (25mm width is not supported)
Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
These numbers can be found on retail listings for M.2 SSD devices. The first two digits refer to the width, the remaining digits to the length.
Socket type: Socket 3 (Key M)
Total size including cooling structure:
In millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).
In inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H).
See below for full requirements.
Length
The following M.2 SSD lengths are compatible with PS5 consoles:
30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm (corresponding to the form factor type, per above).
Width
A 22mm-wide M.2 SSD module is required.
The total structure (including an added cooling structure) cannot exceed 25mm (0.984in).
Height
The total height of the M.2 SSD and its cooling structure (such as a heatsink) – whether built-in or separate – must be less than 11.25mm (0.442in).
The height must also be in the right place, in relation to the M.2 SSD’s circuit board:

The size below the board must be less than 2.45mm (0.096in).
The total size above the board must be less than 8mm (0.314in).

(Note: millimeter measurements are the technical standard and are more precise than inches. We recommend double-checking that the total dimensions of M.2 SSD and heatsink products you’re considering meet the millimeter requirements before purchasing)

Its happening. Only 5500MB/s PCie Gen 4 drives needed.

Last edited by hinch - on 29 July 2021

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Has anyone else played the Nioh games? I got them on PS4 and I got the remastered versions on PS5...and I'm not enjoying the first one at all. First time I played them on Ps4, I got to only the fourth or fifth boss before moving on and finding it grossly too difficult for me. Since then, I've gone back, I've gotten platinum on Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, All three Dark Souls games (including the second one, which I didn't enjoy either), and Sekiro. So I know I don't suck at these games. So I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong or what I'm not understanding about Nioh.

The reviews for the game have been pretty consistently great, the gamers and reviewers and youtube personalities I tend to trust all say it's the best of the non-souls Soulslikes, that everything about it is awesome...so why am I not enjoying myself?

With Souls (Which will be a filler term for all the abovementioned fromsoft Soulslikes, including Bloodborne and Sekiro), I always got the impression that the games were designed with balance in mind. Yeah,t he games were always tough as hell and you could die with a single mistake, but they were always fair. The world was balanced. The enemies could stun lock you, but you could stun lock them. You had stamina, and they had stamina. IF you did get hit, there was usually a brisk moment where you could block or dodge or something. It was and always has been a matter of 'this game will demand the most of you, but for every mistake there is a chance to learn and correct yourself' (Except Dark souls II, but we'll get there.)

But with Nioh so far, I don't feel that way. No matter how hard I hit the enemies, they rarely stagger. Despite pumping loads into my ki (Stamina bar) I run out of energy for attacks remarkably quickly and sometimes it takes forever to get it back. enemies can attack through your attack 90% of the time, most of their attacks have shoddy hitboxes and hit you even if you're well out of range, there are no tells or wind-ups, and way too many enemies have horizontal attacks that sweep all around them so getting in behind them does nothing. I can't block and pick my hits because blocking reduces my stamina so quickly I get staggered and stunned almost every time. I can't be speedy and dodge around because dodging in this game doesn't seem to work. I can't block or parry or simply position myself because enemies have ridiculous range and hitboxes.

No strategy seems to be working in general. I try using different stances, different weapons, different gameplay styles, and all manner of different approaches. I try almost all different attacks on every enemy, and it seems no matter what I do it's mostly luck that I seem to progress. My first thought, with how quickly my stamina depletes, is that my carry load is too high. But nope! I'm only at like 70% stamina load. And when I equip the nioh armor set, which gives you a bonus, I'm still only at 90% stamina load. Even with this equip, enemies are 2-3 shotting me, bosses can kill me in a single combo, and like I said before there's little to no tells to warn you of what 's coming or feedback to let you realize you're getting hit.

Oh, and dodging just does not work in this game. If you're being attacked and want to dodge or dash out of there...it just doesn't work. Nothing happens. Even if I have nearly full stamina, I can never seem to dodge away from attacks. I try dodging through attacks to maximize my i-frames, I still get it. I try to dodge backwards, same deal. I try to dodge around to behind them, and I still get hit because almost all of their attacks are sweeping horizontal attacks. I try to utilize the ki-pulse mechnic (press R1 at the end of a combo to instantly regain all the stamina you used), but it doesn't seem to work with any consistency. sometimes it works flawlessly and I can decimate an enemy with ease. Other times, it doesn't give me any stamina back and I end up getting stun-staggered. I have been stuck in the same cave for three hours now, doing the same run, with the same timing every time, and there seems to be no consistency to the performance of the game's mechanics.

No i-frames, I don't seem to understand the 124026457474354 different stats in the game, there's no consistency with the loot grind (I just keep collecting shit that is useless), I can't even go into my menus and understand what an accessory does (it doesn't have a description and no button gives me a description.) and no matter what I do I'm just not doing much damage and am getting absolutely destroyed. Hell, just regular enemies take like, 5 full combos to kill. Not a 5-hit combo, but a full 5 or 6 hit combo 5 or 6 times in a row, and SOMETIMEs that'll kill them, other times that only takes half their health. all in all, I just find this game tedius and unfair. you know, the same bullshit arguments people say about Dark Souls that are absolutely not true.

So what am I missing here? I thought maybe I just wasn't playing it right, in much the same way I Tried playing Sekiro like a souls game when that had its own rhythm and style...but no matter what I do or how I try to approach a situation I'm not getting any better. I don't feel I've overcome anything or learned anything, I feel like I just got lucky. This game has so far not been fun, it's just been frustrating. IT feels to me like how I imagine most people feel when they first play Dark Souls before they understand the game. you know, unfair bullshit that nobody could possibly like. So what am I missing here? Is there some philosophy or gameplay mechanic I've not yet figured out? I know the games are considered great, but for the life of me I'm just not seeing it.

I don't think I got as far as you in Nioh and don't remember getting the same issues as you (perhaps because of where I stoped) but I agree with the sentiment of not liking and the enemies being to much of damage sponge that can kill you very fast.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

twintail said:

I just platinum'd The Last Guardian. The game was equal measures a wonder to play and just straight up infuriating.

It got me some time to get into the game. The first 5-10h of the game took me like 2 months of small play sessions before I started enhoying it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

hinch said:

Sony opening up beta firmware for NVMe support for selected beta testers - https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

M.2 SSD requirements for PS5 consoles

Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD
Capacity: 250GB – 4TB
Cooling structure: Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink. You can attach one to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format, or double-sided format. There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in.
Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended
Module width: 22mm width (25mm width is not supported)
Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
These numbers can be found on retail listings for M.2 SSD devices. The first two digits refer to the width, the remaining digits to the length.
Socket type: Socket 3 (Key M)
Total size including cooling structure:
In millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).
In inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H).
See below for full requirements.
Length
The following M.2 SSD lengths are compatible with PS5 consoles:
30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm (corresponding to the form factor type, per above).
Width
A 22mm-wide M.2 SSD module is required.
The total structure (including an added cooling structure) cannot exceed 25mm (0.984in).
Height
The total height of the M.2 SSD and its cooling structure (such as a heatsink) – whether built-in or separate – must be less than 11.25mm (0.442in).
The height must also be in the right place, in relation to the M.2 SSD’s circuit board:

The size below the board must be less than 2.45mm (0.096in).
The total size above the board must be less than 8mm (0.314in).

(Note: millimeter measurements are the technical standard and are more precise than inches. We recommend double-checking that the total dimensions of M.2 SSD and heatsink products you’re considering meet the millimeter requirements before purchasing)

Its happening. Only 5500MB/s PCie Gen 4 drives needed.

Just as I said in past threads, Sony isn't locking you out for any specific NVMe, it just needs to meet the standards. Hope this can make the NVMes cheaper faster.

I signed up as a beta tester and wasn't picked, sad times :( Would have been great to test out my SSD I bought for storage a couple months back; which was the WD SN850 1TB.

@DonFerrari
Yeah Mark Cerny did say in the 'Road to PS5' conference that Gen 4 NVMe's will work so long as it meets performance targets and will need to be slightly faster to negate the way storage works internally. Fingers crossed for prices drop/s, I'm gonna guess they're quite pricey where you are in Brazil. In the UK they can be found around £160 or cheaper. I got mine for around £120 which isn't bad considering.

Around the Network
hinch said:

I signed up as a beta tester and wasn't picked, sad times :( Would have been great to test out my SSD I bought for storage a couple months back; which was the WD SN850 1TB.

@DonFerrari
Yeah Mark Cerny did say in the 'Road to PS5' conference that Gen 4 NVMe's will work so long as it meets performance targets and will need to be slightly faster to negate the way storage works internally. Fingers crossed for prices drop/s, I'm gonna guess they're quite pricey where you are in Brazil. In the UK they can be found around £160 or cheaper. I got mine for around £120 which isn't bad considering.

I would love to sign as beta tester, if only Sony sent me a PS5 along the way =p

Here in Brazil they are quite expensive, but since they are fairly small it is possible to import for cheaper. But still when a PS5 itself can cost only 400 USD, to pay 200USD for only the extended storage seems to much imho (I rather buy 3 games with that money =p).

What I found curious is that they only recommended the speed on this news, so it shall work on NVMe that is slower than the one on PS5 but perhaps won`t be able to play from this SSD and needs transfer to the other SSD.

Lol there's that too.

Thought that would be. Yeah that's true. If you're fine with what you have and don't juggle between games the internal storage will be enough for most.

On there they did say that 5.5Gb/s or higher is recommended and a heatsink of some sorts. There's also a disclaimer that in some rare instances some games might experience some performance issue but this is still beta so. Will interesting to see how it fares from peoples testings/previews. It does sounds like all PCIe 4 drives will work, its just the matter of how well.

hinch said:

Lol there's that too.

Thought that would be. Yeah that's true. If you're fine with what you have and don't juggle between games the internal storage will be enough for most.

On there they did say that 5.5Gb/s or higher is recommended and a heatsink of some sorts. There's also a disclaimer that in some rare instances some games might experience some performance issue but this is still beta and will interesting to see how it fares from peoples testings/previews. It does sounds like all PCIe 4 drives will work, its just the matter of how well.

Exactly, basically you`ll get a performance depending on how much you are willing to fork on your NVMe.

I had bought 3 or 4TB for My PS4 and had load of games installed, but once it dropped on the ground and instant death. I just had to start downloading what I wanted to play next so it was ready when I finished what I had and delete what I finished. But I don`t have many games I play at once (have like 2 or 3 because of family) so being able to download the next 4 games I want to play is plenty for me.

Yeah, in this case you'd probably want to find the fastest Gen4 drive. Idd, with smaller game sizes as well that 825GB goes a long way. Even with Astrobot installed you can fit a lot of games on the internal drive like 5-6 if not more big AAA titles. Plus in a way you can think of it as an incentive to play and complete games and go for trophies lol.

On another note..

Digital Foundry has just put up a recommendation list for SSD/heatsinks for PS5 - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-best-ssds-for-ps5