By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

DonFerrari said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Sony Group (Nextorage) to release M.2 SSD at 7GB/s, PCIE 4.0 (1TB~£165 // 2TB~£320)

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sony-group-nextorage-to-release-m-2-ssd-at-7gb-s-pcie-4-0-1tb-%C2%A3165-2tb-%C2%A3320.1612625/

" Nextorage Co., Ltd.  , a memory / storage business under the Sony Group , will release the NVMe M.2 SSD "NEM-H" series with PCI Express 4.0 x4 connection on Amazon on the 21st. The price is an open price, and the estimated retail price is 25,190 yen for the 1TB model and 48,560 yen for the 2TB model."

This has to be for the PS5 as well as PC is what I am thinking. Maybe they will finally update the ps5 to enable that secondary ssd slot at the same time this releases. £320 for 2TB Gen 4 is actually quite good pricing as it's slightly cheaper than a 980 Pro.

For me compared to the price of the console this is quite expensive, but I certainly understand why they cost so much. Won`t be something I`ll be looking to buy so soon.

I'm hoping, though doubtful, that when SNY unlocks the M.2 expansion bay that they also allow Gen 3 drives with a file transfer disclaimer. I'd rather get a larger affordable Gen 3 drive and spend a few mins copying the PS5 game to the on board storage than have to pay Gen 4 prices, at least for a few years yet. Then when Gen 4 drives came way down in price I could swap one in and the Gen 3 out. If they don't allow for that, it'll make it easier to wait to get a PS5 when stock becomes much more abundant and prices for it perhaps are reduced.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

For me compared to the price of the console this is quite expensive, but I certainly understand why they cost so much. Won`t be something I`ll be looking to buy so soon.

I'm hoping, though doubtful, that when SNY unlocks the M.2 expansion bay that they also allow Gen 3 drives with a file transfer disclaimer. I'd rather get a larger affordable Gen 3 drive and spend a few mins copying the PS5 game to the on board storage than have to pay Gen 4 prices, at least for a few years yet. Then when Gen 4 drives came way down in price I could swap one in and the Gen 3 out. If they don't allow for that, it'll make it easier to wait to get a PS5 when stock becomes much more abundant and prices for it perhaps are reduced.

Allowing for slower drives would kinda defeat the purpose of what they have been saying on reveal, but who knows, they may do it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

Allowing for slower drives would kinda defeat the purpose of what they have been saying on reveal, but who knows, they may do it.

It would be seen by some as another somewhat controversial flip flop. So much for instant load times and straight to gaming. It would also extremely upset some, and tick others off, because we could've been using those Gen 3 drives since launch for much faster game transfers. It would further strengthen assumptions that SNY was delaying to come out with their own Gen 4 drive the whole time, which certainly wouldn't help PR.

For these reasons I'd guess they won't.

I finally was able to buy a PS5 (with optical drive) without scalper tax!

€500 (taxes + shipping included). I should also get 1497 Amazon Points (worth $15) for paying with my Amazon credit card.

So in total €485.

It should arrive tomorrow or Friday.

Conina said:

€500 (taxes + shipping included). I should also get 1497 Amazon Points (worth $15) for paying with my Amazon credit card.

So in total €485.

ooooh! what games are you gonna get first? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

It would be seen by some as another somewhat controversial flip flop. So much for instant load times and straight to gaming. It would also extremely upset some, and tick others off, because we could've been using those Gen 3 drives since launch for much faster game transfers. It would further strengthen assumptions that SNY was delaying to come out with their own Gen 4 drive the whole time, which certainly wouldn't help PR.

For these reasons I'd guess they won't.

And some would also say that if you want to use a big storage to have faster transfer time or no need to delete digital content you could use an external one be it SSD or whatever. So really Sony wouldn't really win much by changing the requirements for the internal extra space.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Runa216 said:
Conina said:

So in total €485.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

I also have a lot of PS4 games to finish or replay with 60 fps:

• God of War (2018)
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Days Gone
  • Ratchet & Clank (2016)
  • Dreams (the more  complex levels didn't have good performance on PS4 Pro)

And I collected PS5 games with PS+:

• Bugsnax
  • Worms Rumble
  • Maneater
  • Control: Ultimate Edition
  • Destruction AllStars
  • Maquette
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Wreckfest
  • Operation Tango
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence

Conina said:
Runa216 said:

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

I also have a lot of PS4 games to finish or replay with 60 fps:

• God of War (2018)
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Days Gone
  • Ratchet & Clank (2016)
  • Dreams (the more  complex levels didn't have good performance on PS4 Pro)

And I collected PS5 games with PS+:

• Bugsnax
  • Worms Rumble
  • Maneater
  • Control: Ultimate Edition
  • Destruction AllStars
  • Maquette
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Wreckfest
  • Operation Tango
  • A Plague Tale: Innocence

Those are all fantastic ideas! I also recommend the Spider-Man games (Miles morales and Remastered are both phenomenal) and Demon's Souls (if you can handle its very specific challenges.) Returnal is good, too, but it's not for everyone. I liked it and so did a lot of reviewers but it's a very specific audience and I respect that. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:

Those are all fantastic ideas! I also recommend the Spider-Man games (Miles morales and Remastered are both phenomenal) and Demon's Souls (if you can handle its very specific challenges.) Returnal is good, too, but it's not for everyone. I liked it and so did a lot of reviewers but it's a very specific audience and I respect that. 

I don't enjoy games based on letting the player die over and over again, so no Demon's Souls and Returnal for me.

But I bought these four games today, €146 in total (buy 2 get 3):

And I'm also looking forward to play Astro's Playroom, since Astro Bot is my second favorite VR game.

Conina said:

I don't enjoy games based on letting the player die over and over again, so no Demon's Souls and Returnal for me.

But I bought these four games today, €146 in total (buy 2 get 3):

And I'm also looking forward to play Astro's Playroom, since Astro Bot is my second favorite VR game.

I am an irrational level of happy for you right now. All of those games are good to great, and that deal on Miles morales/remastered is one of the best deals in gaming today. Ratchet & Clank is just pure fun from beginning to end, and while I never got into Sackbow, I hear it's a shockingly good coop game if you're into that. Those games plus Astro's Playroom (Which is maybe one of the biggest and best surprises of the new generation in terms of just how charming it is) is a lot of fun and a genuinely good if simple game on its own. 

IT has been a great first year for PS5. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX