By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

I keep returning to the fact that gamers as a whole are just so damn entitled. Basically, there's this weird sense of entitlement that, if a precedent has been set that is in any way consumer friendly, anything less than that is considered an affront to their audience/gamers.

This whole 'Sony's being greedy for charging 10 for one game upgrade' thing is absolutely absurd to me. Like, before this generation came out, the idea of getting a free next-gen game with your purchase was unheard of. PS1 game also out on PS2? Just buy it again. PS2 game also getting a Ps3 release? Just buy it again. PS3 game also getting a Ps4 release? Most just made you buy it again, some gave you a sweet deal. I owned Grand Theft auto V on PS3 and sony was like 'hey, we saw you played GTAV on PS3, wanna get a Ps4 version for like 30 bucks?' and I said hells yes! Because that was awesome! Similar thing with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. They did this pretty awesome thing where you could put the PS3 disc into the Ps4 and play the Ps4 version, and that was considered awesome! But they didn't have to do that. and it wasn't commonplace.

This generation comes along and now a lot of companies are giving free Next-Gen upgrades, and that's awesome! I love it and it made the PS5/XSX generation the easiest to get into by far. New technology and new business models make it easier...but they didn't have to do that. If every one of these upgrades came with a 10-20 dollar cost, that's fine to me. I am absolutely okay with that, as it is a prettier, better performing version of the game. simple as that. It's awesome that so many companies have and will continue to give free cross-gen upgrades, but for some reason people seem to think they're entitled to it when they're just not.

It's unreasonable and greedy to demand free shit. You don't get a free Blu-ray upgrade if you bought a DVD, you don't get a 2019 model free of charge if you got a 2017 model, that's just not how any of this works, and yet gamers seem to think they're entitled to it just because a few companies decided to offer it free of charge.

I return to the lasagna analogy. I like giving away food, I like cooking for friends because it fosters good will and I like making my friends happy. I would be more than happy to invite any of my friends over for home made lasagna (or food in general), because I feel it benefits everyone long term. However, I cook for friends because I want to, not because I have to. The moment anyone shows up on my front porch demanding more lasagna is the moment I end up with an assault charge for literally kicking someone off my property.

So yeah, they gave the impression that this would be normal going forward, but so many people are bitching because they feel that makes them entitled to the upgrades when they're just, simply, not. Many companies offered upgrades free of charge because they thought it was good business and because they wanted to, not because they have to. Now gamers worldwide are like 'naw, fuck you, you gave us that shit for a few months now you gotta give it to us forever' and that just doesn't sit well with me.

If you want new content or upgraded versions, pay for it. If you want the latest version of your favourite game, pay for it. Pay the upgrade fee or pay for it from scratch. These devs deserve to get paid, too. doing something generous once doesn't obligate them to do it forever, no matter how whiny and childish their fans get over it all.

All of y'all who are bitching about the $10 PS5 upgrade fee for Ghost of Tsushima baffle me. I do not understand how grown-assed adults can throw such a petty tantrum. How about get some perspective. Instead of acting entitled because they charged you, how about be happy that so many people gave you, free of charge, something you rightly should pay for.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

4 months to play Red Dead Redemption 2 at one point or another, nice. If I like it enough and there's more I want to play months from now, I'll probably but it outright.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

4 months to play Red Dead Redemption 2 at one point or another, nice. If I like it enough and there's more I want to play months from now, I'll probably but it outright.

Trust me, jsut wait till it's on sale and pick it up for 25-30 bucks. It's very long, it took me two and a half years to beat. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
Wman1996 said:

Trust me, jsut wait till it's on sale and pick it up for 25-30 bucks. It's very long, it took me two and a half years to beat. 

I finished it in like 2 weeks on launch, but didn't plat because I didn't like it enough for it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

BraLoD said:
Runa216 said:

I can say without a doubt it shouldn't take 2 and a half years to beat tho, lol.

Played far too little of it to know how big it is, tho.

In my defense, it took me that long because I got the platinum trophy on it and I REALLY didn't want the experience to end. Plus I knew how it ended and was doing everything I could to hold off on finishing it. Plus the completion tasks for 100% get kinda ludicrous. 

And like many other long, huge games, I tend to get distracted easily so I played it for a month, then played smash for a few months, then played it another month in mid 2019, then again in late 2019/early 2020. I guess it was only a year and a half (Time works funny, now) because I beat it in 2020. 

Wait, no, I just checked my trophies, I got the platinum after PS5 came out. January this year. Fuck. It was a little over two years. I'm rambling, now. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Runa216 said:

In my defense, it took me that long because I got the platinum trophy on it and I REALLY didn't want the experience to end. Plus I knew how it ended and was doing everything I could to hold off on finishing it. Plus the completion tasks for 100% get kinda ludicrous. 

And like many other long, huge games, I tend to get distracted easily so I played it for a month, then played smash for a few months, then played it another month in mid 2019, then again in late 2019/early 2020. I guess it was only a year and a half (Time works funny, now) because I beat it in 2020. 

Wait, no, I just checked my trophies, I got the platinum after PS5 came out. January this year. Fuck. It was a little over two years. I'm rambling, now. 

I played it for some hours and I spent the most time trying to beat some random guys on dominoes and trying to shot flying birds, lol.

The game is really overwhelming, it's a lot just thrown at you, and I found some of the controls really sluggish, so sadly at that point in time I just couldn't get into it and dropped it real soon.

Red Dead Redemption was one of the very best games on PS3 tho, so I still plan to give 2 another, better, try.

Yeah, there's a reason the intro/tutorial (All of Chapter 1) is so damn long. Probably the longest tutorial in all of gaming. And you continue to learn more and be tutorialized all the way till the end of Chapter 2. 

It's one of those games where it takes a LOT of investment to really get into it, but once you do there are few games in the history of the medium more engrossing and enjoyable. I spent over 500 hours getting the platinum, which is almost as much time as I spent on bloodborne (which is my most played game on PS4/5) And I'll happily do it again once the game inevitably gets a PS5 version. I'll even pay full price again because I love it so much. It really is one of the best games of all time and while I do see how hard it is to really get into it, I promise it's worth it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

BraLoD said:
Runa216 said:

I played it for some hours and I spent the most time trying to beat some random guys on dominoes and trying to shot flying birds, lol.

The game is really overwhelming, it's a lot just thrown at you, and I found some of the controls really sluggish, so sadly at that point in time I just couldn't get into it and dropped it real soon.

Red Dead Redemption was one of the very best games on PS3 tho, so I still plan to give 2 another, better, try.

Man forget the side content and bloated stuff and make a beeline to the storyline. It is a slow paced game but still worth it, and I`m not even a guy that likes open world or is in love with R* (didn`t play RDR1).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Today

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Man forget the side content and bloated stuff and make a beeline to the storyline. It is a slow paced game but still worth it, and I`m not even a guy that likes open world or is in love with R* (didn`t play RDR1).

I can't, I literally have to do everything humanly possible before progressing the history, lol.

Well sorry for you then if you have to chose between not playing at all or do 100% without being able to do middle ground =p

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Well sorry for you then if you have to chose between not playing at all or do 100% without being able to do middle ground =p

Yup, no middle ground, lol.

Ah, in that case give up now. It was easily the longest and hardest platinum trophy I ever got. I love the game, but I do NOT recommend going for 100% in the game. One trophy requires 70 gold medals in missions (You replay the missions), and that cost me two controllers, it was so frustrating. Do not do it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX