By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that Completely Changed a Developer's Reputation

Destiny has significantly damaged some aspects of Bungie's reputation. I wouldn't say their reputation has been "completely changed" though. They're still a respected, top-tier studio. But, we now know they're just people like everyone else.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Fei-Hung said:

Not saying they had the best reputation, but it was a hell of a lot better than before the NMS launch. They were seen as this amazing small studio doing something amazing and with a decent track record from their bike game. Can't remember what it's called right now. 

Don't get me wrong I wasn't being snark. It was just that I didn't know they had any good or bad rep before NMS. They were at most a small studio with high hype for NMS for me.

Didn't get you wrong. They weren't a big studio ,but they were hoped as a developer leading up to the release of NMS only to come crushing down.

The Joe Danger games they made were pretty well reviewed and accepted. 

I'd say Naughty Dog with the Uncharted games. Before that, they were known for cartoon-style platformers. Now they're known for realistic story-heavy games. Most people I talk to a bit younger than me have no clue they ever made cartoon games (and think Sony made Crash Bandicoot, lol).

pokoko said:
Anyone heard of Rocksteady's first game, Urban Chaos: Riot Response? Yeah. They jumped about 10 levels with Arkham Asylum.

I played Urban Chaos in 2013 and thought it was decent AA game.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Fei-Hung said:
DonFerrari said:

Don't get me wrong I wasn't being snark. It was just that I didn't know they had any good or bad rep before NMS. They were at most a small studio with high hype for NMS for me.

Didn't get you wrong. They weren't a big studio ,but they were hoped as a developer leading up to the release of NMS only to come crushing down.

The Joe Danger games they made were pretty well reviewed and accepted. 

Understood.. Yes I remember Joe Danger being considered well accepted for the type of game it was and a lot of expectations for they to rise with NMS. So it's valid to say NMS caused they a major change of reputation.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."