By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Using "autistic" as a derogatory term; please don't

SpokenTruth said:
You don't need a list. It's simple. Don't be an asshole to others. Be respectful and empathetic.

If you can't make a meme funny without being an asshole, it's your own fault for the limited vocabulary and creative expression.

Did you just put 'meme' and 'creative expression' in the same sentance lol?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

📢

I had a discussion with The Mod Team about this. Many of them feel like the term "autistic screeching", whether a meme or not, is inappropriate. They also feel the word "autistic", as an insult, is just as bad as other words we find inappropriate around here. My personal input? While there are surely words/terms/phrases that can be seen as jokes and what not, people with genuine autism (or with a friend/relative who suffers from it) don't find it funny at all. No different than calling someone a "retard". Because these things have lasting consequences on the sufferer, I get where The Team, and curl, are coming from, though I don't feel quite as strongly about it.

So, here's what I'll do. From this post on, I want genuine responses to this. How do you feel about a Global (Sitewide) restriction on words like these? This is simply to know where many of you stand.

I don't think the word itself should be outright forbidden, as much like "gay" it has many applications that are perfectly reasonable and civil, such as discussions about people who are genuinely autistic or gay. 

Nor do I think using it in a derogatory way should be a "one-hit-kill" and lead to an immediate ban. I feel like it's more one of those things where the person using it as such probably needs a heads up that it's not appropriate first, and that if they then continue to use it in an intentionally malicious way, then further action such as a temp ban may be appropriate.

In my experience, a gentler approach like this is more helpful than zero-tolerance prohibition.

Just my 2 cents.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

MasterThief said:
i agree but you shouldn't take words as if people really mean them

Just dwell on that bolded bit, though. Facial expressions and other such body language only come through in conversation if the medium of communication allows it, and if the participants choose to use it. There are alternatives - though they are not as honest, instant or functional - and they are apparently not available in this particular internet forum groupfuckspace.

Tthrough the written word we do have the opportunity to elucidate, and through participation, the opportunity to expound on - or concede - talking points. It doesn't hurt to be wrong, and you're not going to lose anything of real value if you are, and there's a chance to develop valuable pragmatism and look at a thing from different angles each time you drop your guard. To place the responsibility on ONE participant for an undesirable tangent to a discussion is retroactive.

But what the fuck do I know, I'm autistic.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Mummelmann said:
As someone who works with autistic kids; I agree with OP. I'm very, very far from being politically correct as a person but I really dislike this term being used this way.

This

It's very easy for people to misunderstand where we are coming from when we simply reject the use of a word in certain context due to the nature of our work, culture, religion etc. While I myself don't let words bother me so much, using "autistic" as an insult really gets under my skin because I know and work with adolescents and adults with varying levels of autism and all most of them want is to desperately be accepted by society like any other person. 

To an uninformed, immature person, autism is a "fun jab" or "joke", but to an autistic person it's another reason for them to continue believe that society views them as different. I mean using the term as mere insult implies that autism is bad thing by default. 

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

A word only has as much weight to it as someone wants to give it. I don't have an issue with using the word. I haven't used it myself because it's not something I even considered using, maybe one day, but haven't yet. Words are meaningless until someone who is looking to make a point or take offense decides to do so. Are there things that are awful to say? Of course, however like everything else in life doing so speaks more to the person saying those things and their juvenile attempt to create a shock.

So many other things to point out and say about the screeching masses of bull hair cuts, unshaven arm pits and neck beards. Autistic isn't needed to get the point across.

Around the Network
Cubedramirez said:
A word only has as much weight to it as someone wants to give it. I don't have an issue with using the word. I haven't used it myself because it's not something I even considered using, maybe one day, but haven't yet. Words are meaningless until someone who is looking to make a point or take offense decides to do so. Are there things that are awful to say? Of course, however like everything else in life doing so speaks more to the person saying those things and their juvenile attempt to create a shock.

So many other things to point out and say about the screeching masses of bull hair cuts, unshaven arm pits and neck beards. Autistic isn't needed to get the point across.

i always say the moment you say something someone is bound to be offended. its the intend behind the words that count the words themselves are meaningless