By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Premier League winner?

Liverpool 2 $200.22 22.22%

Manchester City 7 $3,356.75 77.78%

Totals: 9 $3,556.97  
Game closed: 05/11/2019

I'm pretty happy that PSG wrapped the deal up so quickly. I really hate those long drawn out transfer sagas where you're not really sure if a player's leaving (or where to) for months on end (eg. like the current Harry Kane situation). Was a bit worried that Messi's may've dragged on a bit, especially since as a free agent he could technically have signed outside the transfer window in September or something if he really wanted to take some time to think about his next move.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

I'm pretty happy that PSG wrapped the deal up so quickly. I really hate those long drawn out transfer sagas where you're not really sure if a player's leaving (or where to) for months on end (eg. like the current Harry Kane situation). Was a bit worried that Messi's may've dragged on a bit, especially since as a free agent he could technically have signed outside the transfer window in September or something if he really wanted to take some time to think about his next move.

The fact that he decided so quickly makes it seem like he wasn't really considering any other club.
Personally I was thinking either PSG for Neymar and Di Maria, or Juventus to play with Ronaldo. But I don't know how they both feel about playing together.
In PSG he has several friends already. And of course it seems PSG were willing to pay him whatever he wanted to come play with them, given how quickly this went through.

Hiku said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The fact that he decided so quickly makes it seem like he wasn't really considering any other club.
Personally I was thinking either PSG for Neymar and Di Maria, or Juventus to play with Ronaldo. But I don't know how they both feel about playing together.
In PSG he has several friends already. And of course it seems PSG were willing to pay him whatever he wanted to come play with them, given how quickly this went through.

Yep, I know he claimed there were multiple options, but it really does feel like PSG was the only offer he even had. I wouldn't be surprised if there were tentative phone calls from some smaller/non-European clubs. But I expect that PSG was the only realistic option.

Ka-pi96 said:

Messi's father and representative team had been in talks with PSG for a possible signing since the player was permitted to arrange a deal with a new team earlier this year. Obviously the bulky part came immediately after it was announced he would not sign a contract with Barcelona. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

That #30 shirt is so wrong

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

I can only speculate, but I wouldn't be surprised if Neymar offered Messi the number 10, but he declined.
Plus fans would probably think that Messi is arrogant for taking another players number, so he went back to his original debute number 30.

Actually as I'm writing this, I found a report that claims exactly that.

But yeah, that number 30 on his back does look weird to me. Maybe because I rarely see players with numbers higher than in the 10's.
Or maybe this image is so iconic that it's been burned into my retina permanently.

Kind of wish he would have taken it from Neymar. But if I were in his shoes, I probably would have declined as well. Can come off as a selfish thing to do.

~Edit~
Actually, I'm reading now that the number 30 was already used by a PSG goalkeeper, who offered it to Messi, so now I'm more unsure as to why he didn't want to take Neymar's number.

Apparently Messi was considering either 19 or 30.
Perhaps it's that he knew 10 was already in use, but didn't consider/expect that 19 or 30 were already occupied when he said that he was considering those.

Last edited by Hiku - on 11 August 2021

The French league will get even more exciting now, it seems. Even and unpredictable.

Mummelmann said:

The French league will get even more exciting now, it seems. Even and unpredictable.

Funny though, PSG actually didn't win the league last year. It was Lille.

Here's an interesting fact.

When Messi made his first debute appearance wearing number 30, he played against Espanol. And Mauricio Pochettino, who is now the coach of PSG, was one of the players on Espanol playing in that match.

mZuzek said:

Yeah, makes him look like a bench player. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.