By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Football Thread 20/21 UCL Semi Finals

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Premier League winner?

Liverpool 2 $200.22 22.22%

Manchester City 7 $3,356.75 77.78%

Totals: 9 $3,556.97  
Game closed: 05/11/2019

So the 4 Champions League semi-finalists are Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

Just cancel football already

Around the Network

What a disappointing match from Liverpool, they had the game on their hands, and they barely did any real push at the end, they continued to rely on short touches, which of course it's not going to bring you anywhere if it didn't work in the first 80 minutes. Real Madrid did a good defensive job, but I think Liverpool could've pierced it, and I think it was mistake to sub Firmino. 

Conversely, I'm really excited that my two favorite European clubs (Chelsea and Madrid) are going to face each other in a couple of official matches for the first time, in a late Champions League stage, no less. To me, this is the final, I can't fucking wait. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Delighted with that. Woke up when the score was 1-0 to Dortmund, but we scored to make it 1-1 just before I went back to bed. Excellent to see that it ended 2-1 to us. We got through, and we beat Dortmund home and away, fantastic result!

I fancy our chances against PSG too. There's a very realistic possibility of a UCL final for us this year. I don't think there are any clear favourites in any of the matches though, so it really could be any of the 4 in Istanbul.

mZuzek said:

So the 4 Champions League semi-finalists are Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

You know it's a shit semi final line up when Real are the least objectionable side left.

mZuzek said:

I was 4 days early

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
mZuzek said:

I was 4 days early

Indeed. Never felt as disgusted by the club I support before. I hope we're hit hard by UEFA.. fuck this shit.

Is anyone actually interested in European competitions? I don't even like being in them when saints makes it. It's pointless, takes up resources and time we could be spending on trying to get a good place in the prem or winning the FA cup.

"Big clubs." Aka the richest. 2 of the 'big 6 in England' aren't even in our top 6 right now (or for most the season). 1 hasn't won anything in over a decade. And they want to break away to a super league no one wants? All about TV rights and greed.

Man City are only a 'big club' because of money in the last decade and a half.

I say let them go, ban them from all other competitions including the players from international competitions.

Hmm, pie.

Money ruined footy years ago. This proposal is a load of shite, but I do find it hilarious that UEFA, the FA etc are all kicking off when they've been complicit in allowing this to fester and grow for a long time. It was inevitable this sort of thing was going to happen. Now that they'll be losing out, they're up in arms. If they were getting a wedge, they wouldn't care.

Terrible idea for a European "Super League".

Firstly, full credit to Bayern, Dortmund and PSG for rejecting it. The other teams though? ugh. A closed shop with no promotion/relegation where 15 clubs are permanently guaranteed a place (and a load of money) not only sounds massively lacking in sporting merit, but also just sounds plain boring. Having new teams come up or old teams fall away is a huge part of the excitement of football. I'm especially annoyed at Real, Atletico and Barcelona. It sounds like an incredibly American idea to me, so it's not totally unexpected from the foreign owned teams. The Juventus owner just sounds like a bit of a cunt anyway and you expect cunts to do cunty things. But the 3 Spanish clubs? I'm not sure about Atletico, but Real and Barca are basically fan owned with elections for president, I expected better from them.

Also, who on earth decided which teams to invite? Because Arsenal and Tottenham? Really? One of them is currently 9th in the league and isn't likely to qualify for even the 3rd tier European competition next season, but they're apparently one of Europe's elite clubs? And the other hasn't won a trophy since 2008 and has never during my lifetime been a consistently top team either. Absolutely ridiculous that those 2 would get in over other clubs.

Why on earth isn't there a Portuguese or Dutch club either? I'd say both Porto and Ajax deserve to be included much more than the aforementioned English teams. Of course it's possible they rejected it, but chances are they weren't invited in the first place...

Gotta say though I doubt it will come to fruition. The reaction has been massively negative and it's surely no coincidence that it was announced the day before UEFA decides the new UCL format.

The Fury said:

Is anyone actually interested in European competitions? I don't even like being in them when saints makes it. It's pointless, takes up resources and time we could be spending on trying to get a good place in the prem or winning the FA cup.

"Big clubs." Aka the richest. 2 of the 'big 6 in England' aren't even in our top 6 right now (or for most the season). 1 hasn't won anything in over a decade. And they want to break away to a super league no one wants? All about TV rights and greed.

Man City are only a 'big club' because of money in the last decade and a half.

I say let them go, ban them from all other competitions including the players from international competitions.

Seriously? Of course loads of people are. The UCL final is the biggest event in club football! Not even just football, it's one of the biggest events in sports full stop. The entire Champions League draws an absolute tonne of interest from around the world.

Even if for some reason you're referring exclusively to the Europa League, yeah there are still a tonne of people interested. It seems a lot of English fans couldn't care less, but the rest of Europe absolutely still cares. Especially the teams with good records in it, just ask a Sevilla fan what they think of the Europa League and you'll see that some people are definitely interested.