By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Football Thread 20/21 A new season is upon us!

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Premier League winner?

Liverpool 2 $200.22 22.22%

Manchester City 7 $3,356.75 77.78%

Totals: 9 $3,556.97  
Game closed: 05/11/2019

Going to be another one of those mental seasons for Madrid.

Around the Network

meh fuck this game

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

it was pretty boring

Seeing a lot of talk about Man Utd and Liverpool's agenda for the future and I've just got to ask... why do they want to ruin football?

Firstly there was cutting the Premier League down to 18 teams, why? Having less games would be bad to start with, but those 2 extra teams can be entertaining/competitive too. Just look at this season, with 18 teams Aston Villa would have been relegated last year after finishing 17th, but because we have 20 they're still in the league and they're flying. 4 wins out of 4 including a 7-2 thrashing of Liverpool. Scrapping the EFL Cup I didn't have a problem with. It's kind of a minor competition anyway and most other countries don't have a league cup now either, I believe France just scrapped theirs too?

And now a "European Premier League"? Firstly, that's a crap name. Secondly, having a full double round-robin league season and then playoffs to determine the winner is a stupid system, it basically makes the regular league matches pointless. You just have to do well enough, then win some one off games at the end and you're the champion. Leagues should reward consistency. If you're playing 30+ games then the champion should actually be decided by those 30+ games! Thirdly, why does it only include England, France, Spain, Italy & Germany? Have we all not enjoyed watching teams like Ajax do well in Europe in recent years? Portuguese teams are usually worth watching too. And I personally like to see an eastern European team doing well too *cough* Shakhtar > Real Madrid *cough*. And finally, making the "founder" teams un-relegatable? Jog on with that bullshit. It's like when they proposed protected Champions League spots for "historically successful" teams. It's a stupid idea. Teams should earn their place in competitions based on how good they are now, not how they were 5 or 10 years ago.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
Seeing a lot of talk about Man Utd and Liverpool's agenda for the future and I've just got to ask... why do they want to ruin football?

Firstly there was cutting the Premier League down to 18 teams, why? Having less games would be bad to start with, but those 2 extra teams can be entertaining/competitive too. Just look at this season, with 18 teams Aston Villa would have been relegated last year after finishing 17th, but because we have 20 they're still in the league and they're flying. 4 wins out of 4 including a 7-2 thrashing of Liverpool. Scrapping the EFL Cup I didn't have a problem with. It's kind of a minor competition anyway and most other countries don't have a league cup now either, I believe France just scrapped theirs too?

And now a "European Premier League"? Firstly, that's a crap name. Secondly, having a full double round-robin league season and then playoffs to determine the winner is a stupid system, it basically makes the regular league matches pointless. You just have to do well enough, then win some one off games at the end and you're the champion. Leagues should reward consistency. If you're playing 30+ games then the champion should actually be decided by those 30+ games! Thirdly, why does it only include England, France, Spain, Italy & Germany? Have we all not enjoyed watching teams like Ajax do well in Europe in recent years? Portuguese teams are usually worth watching too. And I personally like to see an eastern European team doing well too *cough* Shakhtar > Real Madrid *cough*. And finally, making the "founder" teams un-relegatable? Jog on with that bullshit. It's like when they proposed protected Champions League spots for "historically successful" teams. It's a stupid idea. Teams should earn their place in competitions based on how good they are now, not how they were 5 or 10 years ago.

Premier League with only 18 teams and European Premier League (EPL from here on out) probably went hand in hand, because the idea of the EPL is to run intertwined with national leagues. That's pretty nuts; the Champions League constitutes up to 13 games per year for Europe's top clubs, but the EPL would be almost thrice that value for every participant. If you merely take the games of the national league and the EPL for English clubs, you'd already have 72 games per year. Rosters of those clubs would probably balloon to 40 regular players minimum, because you can't physically play that many competitive games without high injury risk. It's an idea that is further fueling the cycle of the top clubs buying up all the good players, collecting insane amounts of broadcasting money, rinse and repeat.

I've been for a European Super League for many years because national leagues are dominated by the same rich Champions League regulars due to the financial cycle, but my idea is that the Super League teams exit the national leagues. A Super League with 20 teams (38 games) and their own cup with a knockout mode (two legs for each matchup, except the final). The top 12 of the previous season's league ranking would get a bye, the remaining 8 would play a qualifying round, that way you'll get to 16 teams in the first main round. I haven't really thought about how relegation could work in this Super League, but something like the bottom 3 of the league would have to play against 3 self-applied challengers from all across Europe, so it would be possible for other clubs to enter the Super League over time.

Anyway, either things stay as they are or the greedy European top clubs should get out of the national leagues to have their own league. The proposal of Man United and Liverpool is just about the worst thing imaginable.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Premier League with only 18 teams and European Premier League (EPL from here on out) probably went hand in hand, because the idea of the EPL is to run intertwined with national leagues. That's pretty nuts; the Champions League constitutes up to 13 games per year for Europe's top clubs, but the EPL would be almost thrice that value for every participant. If you merely take the games of the national league and the EPL for English clubs, you'd already have 72 games per year. Rosters of those clubs would probably balloon to 40 regular players minimum, because you can't physically play that many competitive games without high injury risk. It's an idea that is further fueling the cycle of the top clubs buying up all the good players, collecting insane amounts of broadcasting money, rinse and repeat.

I've been for a European Super League for many years because national leagues are dominated by the same rich Champions League regulars due to the financial cycle, but my idea is that the Super League teams exit the national leagues. A Super League with 20 teams (38 games) and their own cup with a knockout mode (two legs for each matchup, except the final). The top 12 of the previous season's league ranking would get a bye, the remaining 8 would play a qualifying round, that way you'll get to 16 teams in the first main round. I haven't really thought about how relegation could work in this Super League, but something like the bottom 3 of the league would have to play against 3 self-applied challengers from all across Europe, so it would be possible for other clubs to enter the Super League over time.

Anyway, either things stay as they are or the greedy European top clubs should get out of the national leagues to have their own league. The proposal of Man United and Liverpool is just about the worst thing imaginable.

huh, didn't even think about how many games playing in both leagues would add up to. That would be pretty crazy.

I don't think a European Super League would really work for a few reasons. Firstly the allure would disappear over time. Right now if you have a Champions League knock out game between say Real Madrid and Bayern Munich it's important and it interests people. It's 2 matches (close together) between two huge teams, the German champions and the Spanish champions, with the loser going home and not continuing in the competition. It matters. If you have a Super League then there's only so much room at the top for clubs that some of the big clubs are inevitably going to end up pretty low down in it. So now you have that same match-up and maybe it's 6th vs 9th or something and it's really just a mid-table clash. It's not German vs Spanish champions, and all they're playing for is 3 points, the loser will still be around (and probably won't even move down a position) so it's just not as interesting.

Plus your idea that the national leagues wouldn't be dominated by the Champions League regulars anymore probably wouldn't work. Firstly, I'd assume the top teams would still be playing European competitions (the Europa League maybe?), I doubt that would just be scrapped. But even without that teams finishing towards the top would be getting more money than those at the bottom so while things may be pretty equal at the beginning, give it a few years and give teams a chance to establish themselves and you'll probably just have a new set of teams that are wealthier than the rest and that dominate every year. Same problem, different teams. The financial gap may not be as large as before (although if you've got promotion/relegation with the Super League maybe it will be if some of the top national teams get super league revenue every few years), but it will still exist.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:

huh, didn't even think about how many games playing in both leagues would add up to. That would be pretty crazy.

I don't think a European Super League would really work for a few reasons. Firstly the allure would disappear over time. Right now if you have a Champions League knock out game between say Real Madrid and Bayern Munich it's important and it interests people. It's 2 matches (close together) between two huge teams, the German champions and the Spanish champions, with the loser going home and not continuing in the competition. It matters. If you have a Super League then there's only so much room at the top for clubs that some of the big clubs are inevitably going to end up pretty low down in it. So now you have that same match-up and maybe it's 6th vs 9th or something and it's really just a mid-table clash. It's not German vs Spanish champions, and all they're playing for is 3 points, the loser will still be around (and probably won't even move down a position) so it's just not as interesting.

Plus your idea that the national leagues wouldn't be dominated by the Champions League regulars anymore probably wouldn't work. Firstly, I'd assume the top teams would still be playing European competitions (the Europa League maybe?), I doubt that would just be scrapped. But even without that teams finishing towards the top would be getting more money than those at the bottom so while things may be pretty equal at the beginning, give it a few years and give teams a chance to establish themselves and you'll probably just have a new set of teams that are wealthier than the rest and that dominate every year. Same problem, different teams. The financial gap may not be as large as before (although if you've got promotion/relegation with the Super League maybe it will be if some of the top national teams get super league revenue every few years), but it will still exist.

True, my idea has a good chance to lead to the same problem for national leagues after about ten years. The whole money system in football would need to be overhauled to ensure a more even playing field over a long period of time.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

I wonder who wins in a whining competition between Donald Trump and Manchester City

city

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Bayern won 3-2 against Dortmund yesterday. The game was in Dortmund, so that was just about the last chance to make this season interesting at the very top. Dortmund's visits in Munich have been damn terrible in recent years, so they won't win there.