Forums - Sports Discussion - Football Thread 20/21 A new season is upon us!

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Premier League winner?

Liverpool 2 $200.22 22.22%

Manchester City 7 $3,356.75 77.78%

Totals: 9 $3,556.97  
Game closed: 05/11/2019
Carl said:
Inject Neymar tears directly into my veins.

is it compatible with the english tears?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:

Bring on the Nations League.

Carl said:
kirby007 said:

Bring on the Nations League.

you masochist

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Messi handed in a transfer request.

It's actually happening! :O

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

German Bundesliga is on again. Almost forgot about it, but got home back in time to watch the highlights.

It felt very disheartening to learn the result of yesterday's season opener where Bayern hosted Schalke. I mean, of course everyone expected Bayern to win because Schalke sucks in every imaginable way, but 8-0 is just too much. Hopefully Schalke has the decency to get relegated this year because I've had enough of them. Don't know what they've been thinking when they kept their coach from last year. They barely collected any points in 2020. I guess they lack the money to buy themselves out of the contract and hire a new coach.

Sigh... this sure is looking like yet another year where Bayern wins the title. We need a European super league where all the filthy rich clubs play in and leave the national leagues to the clubs who do honest work.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
German Bundesliga is on again. Almost forgot about it, but got home back in time to watch the highlights.

It felt very disheartening to learn the result of yesterday's season opener where Bayern hosted Schalke. I mean, of course everyone expected Bayern to win because Schalke sucks in every imaginable way, but 8-0 is just too much. Hopefully Schalke has the decency to get relegated this year because I've had enough of them. Don't know what they've been thinking when they kept their coach from last year. They barely collected any points in 2020. I guess they lack the money to buy themselves out of the contract and hire a new coach.

Sigh... this sure is looking like yet another year where Bayern wins the title. We need a European super league where all the filthy rich clubs play in and leave the national leagues to the clubs who do honest work.

You're from Austria, right? Do you follow the Austrian league? 

Metallox said:

Nope. I am not a masochist.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Metallox said:

Nope. I am not a masochist.

I guess you have more than enough with the German league. I'm surprised how massively Schalke 04 has declined in the last couple of years, by the way, wasn't aware of that. 

The Bundesliga managed to get even less exciting on matchday 2. After both Leipzig and Leverkusen could be expected to be less competitive this season after losing key players to Chelsea, there was really only Dortmund left as a serious challenger for Bayern. Today Dortmund had to play in Augsburg, a place they haven't played well at in some time. Two seasons ago they surprisingly lost there, which was among the reasons why they finished two points behind Bayern in the end. Last season they could turn around a 1-3 deficit into a 5-3 win thanks to Haaland's strong debut with three goals. Today they had 80% possession and blew their scoring opportunities while Augsburg was efficient like usual in their home games against Dortmund, so the game ended 2-0 for Augsburg. So embarrassing for Dortmund that they keep losing points to teams where they absolutely shouldn't leave points on the table.

Werder Bremen - who you may remember as barely saving their butts last season - recovered from their disastrous first game (1-4 vs. Hertha) because they were lucky enough to get Schalke on the schedule. Schalke is so damn terrible. If it hadn't been for their super late goal to end the game 1-3, they would have had a goal stat of 0-11 after two matchdays. Not that 1-11 looks good, but it's better than absolutely nothing. Still, if you get outplayed like this by a club that escaped relegation last season and basically still has an identical roster with no improvements due to lack of money, then you are in real trouble. Right now the only positive thing for Schalke is that two other clubs are hot garbage too. Köln hasn't won a Bundesliga game in a very long time either while Mainz has their coach on the hot seat after only two matchdays because coach and team don't seem to get along anymore, emphasized by a crushing 1-4 defeat vs. Stuttgart today.

If nothing else, the battle against relegation keeps the Bundesliga entertaining. No good reason to expect anyone to top Bayern this season, especially because the team from Munich has earned 52 points in Bundesliga games in the year 2020; that's 17 wins and 1 draw with 0 losses. Nobody's going to stop them. This year there's not even an Oktoberfest to cause a hangover; Bayern commonly has had an extended slump during October/November in the past few years.

It seems ajax are bored and get red cards on purpose so they can clinch 10vs11 for the second time