Forums - Sports Discussion - Football Thread 20/21 A new season is upon us!

** Betting is CLOSED - all winnings have been paid out by TalonMan **

Premier League winner?

Liverpool 2 $200.22 22.22%

Manchester City 7 $3,356.75 77.78%

Totals: 9 $3,556.97  
Game closed: 05/11/2019

It sounds every football organization is shady.

Around the Network

I think football (and sport in general) will have these sorts of dodgy dealings. It's largely about money these days.

I really hope the european super league thing never comes to pass. It just sounds rubbish. I like there being separate national leagues. And I like there being European competitions featuring the best teams from said national leagues. I mean, what sounds better the champions of England vs the champions of Spain in the Champions League final, or 8th in the league vs bottom of the league in a league match? Those could even be the exact same teams too. Plus it sucks that it would exclude a whole bunch of countries. Where are the likes of Porto, Ajax & Shakhtar? They've all been good teams in the past and they add to the occasion even if they aren't going to win anything, not as if a team like Marseille would win anything either though, so why exclude them?

What I think would be a cool idea is like an 8 team mini league or something that runs in addition to national leagues. Just scrap the EFL Cup, reduce the Copa del Rey to single leg matches and do the equivalent in the other countries so that you wouldn't be adding any additional matches, just replacing matches that nobody really cares about.

Couldn't really care less about the FFP stuff though. It's a dumb idea and should just be scrapped altogether really.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

I like the super league, if indeed only the top teams are there its going to implode massively

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
I really hope the european super league thing never comes to pass. It just sounds rubbish. I like there being separate national leagues. And I like there being European competitions featuring the best teams from said national leagues. I mean, what sounds better the champions of England vs the champions of Spain in the Champions League final, or 8th in the league vs bottom of the league in a league match? Those could even be the exact same teams too. Plus it sucks that it would exclude a whole bunch of countries. Where are the likes of Porto, Ajax & Shakhtar? They've all been good teams in the past and they add to the occasion even if they aren't going to win anything, not as if a team like Marseille would win anything either though, so why exclude them?

What I think would be a cool idea is like an 8 team mini league or something that runs in addition to national leagues. Just scrap the EFL Cup, reduce the Copa del Rey to single leg matches and do the equivalent in the other countries so that you wouldn't be adding any additional matches, just replacing matches that nobody really cares about.

Couldn't really care less about the FFP stuff though. It's a dumb idea and should just be scrapped altogether really.

If there was no Champions League and the best clubs never got to face each other and forming a Super League was the only way I would support it. But with the Champions Leauge it's just unnecessary.

Around the Network

Championship here we come. Should have never kept Mark Hughes.

Hmm, pie.

More leaks show Manchester City wanted to buy Chinese player Hu Ruibao, then loan him to Danish club Vejle Bk while paying Vejle Bk's owner £250k to ensure the player would be fielded. The experience in an European league would increase the player's worth, with City then intending on selling him to a Chinese club for a sizeable profit. Danish article: https://politiken.dk/sport/art6815504/Kinesisk-ejer-ville-bruge-Vejle-Boldklub-i-dobbeltspil-for-millioner-af-kroner

Bundesliga - Matchday 10

Stuttgart 0-3 Frankfurt
Wolfsburg 0-1 Dortmund
Bayern 1-1 Freiburg
Augsburg 2-2 Nürnberg
Leverkusen 1-4 Hoffenheim
Schalke 3-1 Hannover
Berlin 0-3 Leipzig
Gladbach 3-0 Düsseldorf
Mainz 2-1 Bremen

Stuttgart's new coach earned three losses in three games with 0-11 goals scored. Dortmund got their win, but Bayern had trouble again; it wasn't until the final 15 minutes that Bayern scored their goal, but the hard-fighting team from Freiburg didn't give up and got the equalizer. Leverkusen's hot streak (6-2 in Bundesliga, 5-0 in DFB Cup) came to a sudden end against Hoffenheim. Mainz got their first win after seven consecutive games without one.

Dortmund's lead of 4 points is restored, right in time before hosting Bayern this coming weekend. Frankfurt has now won five in a row, good enough to pass the teams from Bremen and Berlin who didn't have good results lately. The three teams that occupy the relegation spots now trail the safe zone by 4-5 points, so they'll be with each other for at least a couple of matchdays. What's more concerning for them is how they lose games, because what they do doesn't instill confidence for a turnaround. Only Hannover is still somewhat respectable.

MatchesPointswinsDrawsLossesGoalsGD
  1 - Borussia Dortmund 10 24 7 3 0 30:10 +20
  2   Borussia Mönchengladbach 10 20 6 2 2 23:12 +11
  3   FC Bayern München 10 20 6 2 2 18:11 +7
  4   RB Leipzig 10 19 5 4 1 19:9 +10
  5   Eintracht Frankfurt 10 17 5 2 3 23:13 +10
  6   SV Werder Bremen 10 17 5 2 3 18:16 +2
  7   TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 10 16 5 1 4 22:14 +8
  8   Hertha BSC 10 16 4 4 2 15:13 +2
  9 - FC Augsburg 10 13 3 4 3 18:16 +2
  10   Sport-Club Freiburg 10 13 3 4 3 14:16 -2
  11   VfL Wolfsburg 10 12 3 3 4 14:15 -1
  12   1. FSV Mainz 05 10 12 3 3 4 7:11 -4
  13   Bayer 04 Leverkusen 10 11 3 2 5 16:21 -5
  14   FC Schalke 04 10 10 3 1 6 8:12 -4
  15   1. FC Nürnberg 10 10 2 4 4 11:22 -11
  16 - Hannover 96 10 6 1 3 6 12:21 -9
  17 - Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895 e.V. 10 5 1 2 7 6:24 -18
  17 - VfB Stuttgart 10 5 1 2 7 6:24 -18

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Dortmund vs Bayern next week? That's going to be a very important match then! Really hope Dortmund win it.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
Dortmund vs Bayern next week? That's going to be a very important match then! Really hope Dortmund win it.

The game on Saturday might even be more important than you think. A Dortmund win would put Bayern 7 points behind, so it's fair to wonder if that would lead to the firing of Kovac. During the recent slump in Bundesliga and Champions League, Uli Hoeneß (the boss himself) said that ultimately the coach will be held accountable for the results.

On that note, 2.5 weeks ago the Bayern leadership invited the media to call out journalists for their allegedly unfair and condescending reports on Bayern's crisis that left the media wondering if any criticism at all is allowed, based on the examples that Bayern's leadership named. Apparently journalists were violating article 1 of the German constitution (human dignity shall be inviolable). Funnily enough, a few minutes later Uli Hoeneß was asked about the sale of Juan Bernat to PSG, if it was a good idea because of Bayern's current injury problems among defenders; Hoeneß cited the Champions League game quarter finals in Sevilla as his justification and said about Bernat: "He played like shit." - The irony was off the charts.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club