By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New White Listing Feature

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Do you guys plan to automatically whitelist registered users or are you whitelisting only when someone is locked out and letting you know about it?
Cause I'm here and it all works fine so you might as well whitelist me now so that I won't have to suffer a lockout issue and won't have to bother you with a possible lock out that could possibly happen sometime in the future.

You're good. Future issues are unlikely, this is mainly for newer users.

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
Helloplite said:
So what's the concept behind this? Only white listed members can use the boards? How does it differ from what was previously used, where you could use the boards but not while suspended/banned?

No - white listed users simply no longer have their IP Address scanned. If you're not on the white list, your IP Address will be scanned frequently for abuse before you are able to login...

I see. So this is mostly useful for those who log in from shared IPs like university dorms and internet cafes?

Helloplite said:
TalonMan said:

No - white listed users simply no longer have their IP Address scanned. If you're not on the white list, your IP Address will be scanned frequently for abuse before you are able to login...

I see. So this is mostly useful for those who log in from shared IPs like university dorms and internet cafes?

Basically - if you are a known "good user", then there should be absolutely no need to waste resources and potentially block you from the website needlessly (this has happened quite a few times with those users who have a VPN running).  An algorithm has already been put into place that will automatically detect "good users" and place them on the white list as time goes on. This manual method, however, simply gives the site administrators and head mods the added ability to override the system and make a decision themselves, as to whether a user ought to go on the white list...

...but fear not - it's just as easy to have a user kicked off the white list, if they happen to be a trouble-maker.  ;)