By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - John Kodera: “PS4 Is Entering The Final Stages Of It’s Life-Cycle.”

shikamaru317 said: 

You don't say that PS4 is entering the final stage of it's life-cycle when the successor isn't planned to release for 3-3.5 years, you only say that if the successor is releasing within 2 years imo. The final stage of a console's life includes sales after the successor releases, and PS4 will sell for a further 2 years after PS5 releases. So the final stage of PS5's life is from 2018 to 2023? lmao

Well i guess it depends on how the stages are set up, you could break it down like this:

FY14-launch stage

FY15/16-growth stage

FY17/18-peak stage

FY19 onward-decline stage

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

he hinted at a 2021 Fiscal Year Launch. which is basically between March 2020-2021.

zorg1000 said:
Another interesting tidbit from that article is that PSVR is showing growth but at a slower rate than expected.

I didn't see that, will look. Because the last we heard was that it was above expectations.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:
Another interesting tidbit from that article is that PSVR is showing growth but at a slower rate than expected.

I didn't see that, will look. Because the last we heard was that it was above expectations.

Its near the end of the article, here is what it said:

Kodera also let slip that PlayStation VR (PS VR) is growing, but industry's growth is below market expectations and PS Vue - Sony's Internet TV service, is facing harder-than-expected competitions. Vue and PS VR would aim for further growth with realistic outlook he believes.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

UltimateGamer1982 said:
setsunatenshi said:

How do you take from this that the PS5 is hinted at 2021? That's patently absurd.

I'm ready for holidays 2019.

Quoted from the article. My personal beliefs has been 2019 for ps5. 6 years is long enough, time for next gen next year. 

Agreed. 7nm Zen and Vega are on schedule to be mass produced in 2019. I do think there is a slight chance they'll hold off until 2020, but there's no way they are waiting til 2021.

Around the Network

2021 would be perfect. All their devs should start making ps5 titles now except those still making a ps4 game yet to release

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Kodera also let slip that PlayStation VR (PS VR) is growing, but industry's growth is below market expectations and PS Vue - Sony's Internet TV service, is facing harder-than-expected competitions. Vue and PS VR would aim for further growth with realistic outlook he believes.

Saw it after aswerering... but when it says "market" and not Sony or any other interpretation of their team forecast. I guess they are talking about the VR market itself, which Sony have said in the past that they are unsatisfied that their sales although above expectations isn't met with market growth (meaning they had over 50% marketshare because Vive and Oculus were very slow at sales).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Saw it after aswerering... but when it says "market" and not Sony or any other interpretation of their team forecast. I guess they are talking about the VR market itself, which Sony have said in the past that they are unsatisfied that their sales although above expectations isn't met with market growth (meaning they had over 50% marketshare because Vive and Oculus were very slow at sales).

Ok, i thought it meant PSVR is growing but the growth has slowed down below expectations, you could be right.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Ok, i thought it meant PSVR is growing but the growth has slowed down below expectations, you could be right.

Your guess is good as mine. I'm just putting what I saw before, but perhaps last semester sales haven't evolved as they would like.

most people have already suspected its at the end of its cycle

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick