By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - John Kodera: “PS4 Is Entering The Final Stages Of It’s Life-Cycle.”

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/ps4-is-in-final-stage-of-life-cycle-playstation-boss-1855579

HIGHLIGHTS

• PlayStation boss hints at a 2021 PS5 launch
  • He also states that unit sales for the PS4 will taper off
  • Services revenue should make up for some of the shortfall

It appears that Sony is gearing up for the PS5, stating that the PS4 is reaching the end of its life. During the company's investor relations day or Sony IR Day as it's known, PlayStation boss John Kodera said (as per The Wall Street Journal's Takashi Mochizuki's translation) that the "PS4 is entering final phase of its life cycle, which would have negative impact to the unit, but recurring revenue via membership services etc should cushion some of that". With gaming trade show E3 less than a month away and Sony not having any plans to reveal any PS5 details, this should be deflating for PS fans expecting a new console.

Around the Network

Sony announcing new hardware at this E3 would’ve been a huge mistake. Everything this guy is saying though is pretty obvious.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

2021 launch means its def not done yet by a long shot.
I expect it okt-nov 2020.
It means more there not planning a pricecut,as a 200ps4 should sell a shitton

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

2021? My PS4's gonna be boxed up like a paper weight at that point. My god.

Nah, 2020 is the latest. Why tell investors, which will get out to the press, that the PS4 is basically on its last legs, while not having a successor ready for another 3 1/2 years? It makes no sense and doesn't give investors the highest confidence in the product. My guess is by "taking a bow" until March 2021, he's talking about the amount that division will profit, since they will be selling HW at a loss.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 22 May 2018

Around the Network

I'm completely cool with a 2020 or 2021 launch window for the PS5.

Whenever it will be released, I'm not buying at launch this time. I'll wait for the PS5 Pro right away. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

2021 is later than i though, i was thinking March 2020

In other news... Water is wet.
2021 could be a better window anyway on the tech front with a refined fabrication process.
2020/2021 and no earlier is my bet.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Calling a whole 3 years of waiting "the final stages" is a bit insulting to the people who are already waiting.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.