By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Look Into Next Gen - UNITY

Tagging for when I get back to my desktop. The future of photogrammetry is tantalizing.



Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:
Tagging for when I get back to my desktop. The future of photogrammetry is tantalizing.

I'm already using a rock mod for Skyrim SE, that uses photographics rocks.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/90426?tab=posts&BH=1



Next Gen Endor overload. Makes my Battlefront II set up looked dated... :(

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It truly looks like the next step up, especially the foliage. Now I'm off to play some BFII and grab a few screens for a proper comparison.



                                                                                                                                                           

Sweet Jesus when can I pre-order?!!??! That looks incredible! Thanks for sharing!



Those pics are making me wish it was already 2020 and next gen consoles were releasing in a few months.



Around the Network

Alrighty folks, I tried! I pushed my PC even harder with a little SS, but there's no cuttin' it. That Next Gen Endor scene is too much! :P

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



                                                                                                                                                           

CGI-Quality said:

Yes I've heard about the wonders of making future video games using Ray Tracing over Rasterization but do you think this technology will also come to consoles or will this only be the future of PC gaming?



CrazyGamer2017 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yes I've heard about the wonders of making future video games using Ray Tracing over Rasterization but do you think this technology will also come to consoles or will this only be the future of PC gaming?

In its latest form, it'll be a big deal on PC first (though, technically, PC has been able to do this for quite a while). As much as it may not seem like it, consoles dictate a lot of this stuff these days. Which is nuts, considering the billion dollar sector of the industry the PC platform offers. 



                                                                                                                                                           

CGI-Quality said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Yes I've heard about the wonders of making future video games using Ray Tracing over Rasterization but do you think this technology will also come to consoles or will this only be the future of PC gaming?

In its latest form, it'll be a big deal on PC first (though, technically, PC has been able to do this for quite a while). As much as it may not seem like it, consoles dictate a lot of this stuff these days. Which is nuts, considering the billion dollar sector of the industry the PC platform offers. 

Which is why I'm irked whenever I see the tech being limited because of that focus. I see what's going on with Star Citizen, that makes me wish all kinds of devs were doing something like the guys at RSI.



CGI-Quality said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

Yes I've heard about the wonders of making future video games using Ray Tracing over Rasterization but do you think this technology will also come to consoles or will this only be the future of PC gaming?

In its latest form, it'll be a big deal on PC first (though, technically, PC has been able to do this for quite a while). As much as it may not seem like it, consoles dictate a lot of this stuff these days. Which is nuts, considering the billion dollar sector of the industry the PC platform offers. 

Yeah that's what I worry about a little. That it may not come to consoles or if it does it will be only later. I've heard that ray tracing based game rendering is extremely heavy on processors so yeah I guess PC is the prime target.

I was hoping that with consoles getting more powerful over time (One can expect the PS5 to be a monster according to some rumors) that this would simultaneously come to both worlds but who knows. Oh well it's not like rasterized games are unplayable or ugly anyway, you can tell when you see Shadow of the Colossus or God of War but still I wonder about these new technologies...

On the other hand and upon reflection if they use these new techniques to render games for PC's they must be certain that ALL PC's can play those games right? That means High end PC's, mid range PC's and low end PC's, right? So if a low end PC can play games made with Ray Tracing rendering, what's to technically stop a future PS5 that will have a power that goes somewhere between mid range and high end PC's, to benefit from this rendering? I'm just speculating here but my "logic" radar tells me there is no good reason for this new stuff to not hit consoles... hopefully

On the negative side, I hope too much realism doesn't kill the game-like aspect of video games. I don't wish to feel like I'm playing a movie with faces so realistic that it would feel like moving an actual person around, like in the Matrix movies. Strong colors à la Pixar are ideal in RPG/Adventure games in my opinion.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 15 May 2018