By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo starts moving to a Wii-like “non-gamer” strategy for the Switch

TheMisterManGuy said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Will they never learn...

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Don't do it! Fuk no! In the long term it will do only harm. And it could also hurt others, not only Nintendo. Like the bad ingluence caused by Wii's casual focus, which also damaged Xbox.

"How dare Nintendo make games for people who aren't me, they should only pander to me and people who are like me! Grrr!" Calm down, nobody's taking Metroid Prime 4 away from you, Nintendo is simply broadening the audience of the Switch to people outside the traditional gamer. Don't like it? Well too bad, you'll still get your core games, but Nintendo's focus is on expanding the scope. 

Yeah, just like Microsoft and EA are "broadening the audience" with games as a service model. Will you be defending them if I say that GAAS-model sucks?

This is just a short-sighted strategy caused by creed. Stop damage controlling it.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

Around the Network

Are they adding a DVD player?

TheMisterManGuy said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Will they never learn...

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Don't do it! Fuk no! In the long term it will do only harm. And it could also hurt others, not only Nintendo. Like the bad ingluence caused by Wii's casual focus, which also damaged Xbox.

"How dare Nintendo make games for people who aren't me, they should only pander to me and people who are like me! Grrr!" Calm down, nobody's taking Metroid Prime 4 away from you, Nintendo is simply broadening the audience of the Switch to people outside the traditional gamer. Don't like it? Well too bad, you'll still get your core games, but Nintendo's focus is on expanding the scope. 

They can't have it both ways. Many have tried, all have failed. 

John2290 said:
Since someone linked me a video of the E store I've been watching updates, it's terrible mobile shovelware some worse than PC shovel ware disc based games from the 90's for THIRTY euro, it's obvious they are trying to create some kind of android/ios like space. Completely hidious and very off putting as a potential buyer.

Burn it with fire.

Even though Nintendos (recent) consoles (other than Wii) have not sold that well, I thought that Switch sales could be pretty good even if they focus only on the "core-gamers". Looks like they are letting me down. Catering to casual/mobile gamers will only do damage in the long-term.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

CaptainExplosion said:
Couldn't they just keep making Breath of The Wild-quality games?

Nope. Those record breaking sales were just too much for them to handle. Time for some fuckin' cardboard!

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
MasonADC said:
Good. They aren't getting the 20 million any other way

Well they could make more games, lower costs of carts to 3rd party so they want to pt their games on the system and we as the gamers don't need to download 3/4 of the game and maybe if the game is complete on cart we will buy them and you know what they will make money from the sale.

From what I can tell, Nintendo is eating as much cost as they can on the larger Switch cartridges. And if not, well they're not going to loose a ton of money off of trying to resolve a complaint that most publishers don't really have TBH. 

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

Yeah, just like Microsoft and EA are "broadening the audience" with games as a service model. Will you be defending them if I say that GAAS-model sucks?

This is just a short-sighted strategy caused by creed. Stop damage controlling it.

GaaS is not an inherently bad model, it's just often badly executed. Overwatch, Splatoon 2, among others show how this model can work when done right. And Nintendo wanting to broaden the audience of the Switch isn't greed, at least not the scummy kind of greed. It's just a way for Nintendo to get the Switch into more people's hands and make more money. 

AlfredoTurkey said:

Except they can, they have the cash and resources to do so. They did it on the DS, they can do it on the Switch. 

TheMisterManGuy said:
Cobretti2 said:

Well they could make more games, lower costs of carts to 3rd party so they want to pt their games on the system and we as the gamers don't need to download 3/4 of the game and maybe if the game is complete on cart we will buy them and you know what they will make money from the sale.

From what I can tell, Nintendo is eating as much cost as they can on the larger Switch cartridges. And if not, well they're not going to loose a ton of money off of trying to resolve a complaint that most publishers don't really have TBH. 

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

GaaS is not an inherently bad model, it's just often badly executed. Overwatch, Splatoon 2, among others show how this model can work when done right. And Nintendo wanting to broaden the audience of the Switch isn't greed, at least not the scummy kind of greed. It's just a way for Nintendo to get the Switch into more people's hands and make more money. 

AlfredoTurkey said:

Except they can, they have the cash and resources to do so. They did it on the DS, they can do it on the Switch. 

The Switch isn't a dedicated handheld and it's not 2004 anymore. The blue ocean has dried up. It's gone.

CaptainExplosion said:
Couldn't they just keep making Breath of The Wild-quality games?                             

AAA games like that are expensive and time consuming to make. Asking for BotW-like games all the time is unrealistic.

AlfredoTurkey said: 

The Switch isn't a dedicated handheld and it's not 2004 anymore. The blue ocean has dried up. It's gone.

There's no real proof of that. The Switch is a mobile device that's able to distinguish itself from smartphones and conventional tablets. Being able to play with another person by passing a controller to them anywhere you are, is an appealing concept to the "Blue Ocean". Nintendo just needs to provide unique titles that can only be made possible by the Switch such as Nintendo Labo. 

TheMisterManGuy said:

AlfredoTurkey said: 

There's no real proof of that. The Switch is a mobile device that's able to distinguish itself from smartphones and conventional tablets. Being able to play with another person by passing a controller to them anywhere you are, is an appealing concept to the "Blue Ocean". Nintendo just needs to provide unique titles that can only be made possible by the Switch such as Nintendo Labo. 

There's no proof? How about the fact that since the Wii started to die (the last 3/4 of its life), no home console has been able to sell itself to the blue ocean? You think that's just a coincidence? How did 1,2 Switch do? Did it light the world up sales wise like BOTW? How about Labo? How's THAT game selling out of the gates? Taking the world by storm yet? No?

Causal gamers left the scene years and years ago. They're all on tablets and iPhones now, if they're out there at all. The reason the Switch has sold so well is because of BOTW and core gamers... not casuals. The reason 1,2 Switch released and disappeared from our collective conscience is because there's no one left to by stuff like that in mass. 

If Nintendo wants to chase something that isn't there, let's just hope they do so intelligently. They can't afford to fudge this momentum up.