By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo starts moving to a Wii-like “non-gamer” strategy for the Switch

TheMisterManGuy said:
Johnw1104 said:
Man we as a community can really be condescending and elitist lol

This is fine so long as they don't abandon "core gamers" or w/e. The Wii essentially did that from the start, and the Switch seems to clearly be a product of that learned lesson. With the games they've announced and continued 3rd party ports to the system, there's not much to be worried about yet.

No it didn't. The whole "abandonment" issue is largely a myth. Sure, Nintendo's methods were misguided at times, but they still made their core games, more core games than the "Blue Ocean" type software. 

Obviously they provided great 1st party hardware. The problem was that, from the start, the control scheme and weak hardware meant that they'd never receive current gen 3rd party games that weren't significantly hurt in the porting, often having to be built from the ground up but generally being garbage in comparison.

I could live with the Switch being my only console. There were few (if any) "core gamer" types that could be happy with just the Wii. 

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Man we as a community can really be condescending and elitist lol

This is fine so long as they don't abandon "core gamers" or w/e. The Wii essentially did that from the start, and the Switch seems to clearly be a product of that learned lesson. With the games they've announced and continued 3rd party ports to the system, there's not much to be worried about yet.

This right here. I agree. Let's just wait and see what they do from here.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Johnw1104 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

No it didn't. The whole "abandonment" issue is largely a myth. Sure, Nintendo's methods were misguided at times, but they still made their core games, more core games than the "Blue Ocean" type software. 

Obviously they provided great 1st party hardware. The problem was that, from the start, the control scheme and weak hardware meant that they'd never receive current gen 3rd party games that weren't significantly hurt in the porting, often having to be built from the ground up but generally being garbage in comparison.

I could live with the Switch being my only console. There were few (if any) "core gamer" types that could be happy with just the Wii. 

Okay, now that makes sense. And I agree that the Wii Remote's lack of buttons and no HD gave it a short shelf life. But I don't see that as targeting casuals exclusively and more see it as just lack of foresight on Nintendo's part. The Switch and the Joy-Con don't have these problems, since the main controller still has all the buttons of a normal controller, and while its no Xbox One, the Switch is powerful enough to get most content from the other systems with little trouble. 

casual-nintendo from the wii-time ? oO oh no, bad news for gamer -.-

But the biggest impudence is that nintendo sells old (mini-)games / ports for full price, very sad development in my opinion.

edit: okay, no problem. i had read (it was a interview in the first quarter) that nintendo wants to have more focus on smarthphone and casual/small games in the future. but the most players and i want high quality games / AAA games, nintendo has SO much (tons of) money - but the focus is wrong :( this new thing confirms it for me again, in other words: they makes more money with less effort. @MasonADC

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 07 May 2018

KazumaKiryu said:
casual-nintendo from the wii-time ? oh no, bad news for gamer -.-

But the biggest impudence is that nintendo sells old (mini-)games / ports for full price, very sad development in my opinion.

Nice sarcasm! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

MasonADC said:
Good. They aren't getting the 20 million any other way

Well they could make more games, lower costs of carts to 3rd party so they want to pt their games on the system and we as the gamers don't need to download 3/4 of the game and maybe if the game is complete on cart we will buy them and you know what they will make money from the sale.

KazumaKiryu said:

Switch is Hell AKA Inferno

KazumaKiryu said:

Please explain how this is bad news

The DS had tons of "non-games" like Brain Training. (However, those were good) and no one complained about that system because it was the best handheld ever. Plus the 3rd party support for the Switch will be miles above the Wii by end of its lifetime.

I always find it annoying when people ignore that the DS did the same thing as the Wii. Also, the Wii was amazing anyway..

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.