By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 really should have backwards compatibility!

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, that's impossible to truly tell since we can't really look into an alternate scenario where the PS4 had backwards compatibility, and how its sales would be different.

It’s not impossible to deduce from the current ratio of sales for a console with it to a console without it. Just a good read on the numbers available. In the grand scheme, backwards compatibility (or lack there of) hasn’t slowed PS4 sales or been a needle mover in any substantial wsy.

As compared to the Xbox One?

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
CGI-Quality said:

It’s not impossible to deduce from the current ratio of sales for a console with it to a console without it. Just a good read on the numbers available. In the grand scheme, backwards compatibility (or lack there of) hasn’t slowed PS4 sales or been a needle mover in any substantial wsy.

Yeah.

I disagree. It is better to put focus and resources to make great new games. And remasters are the best way for iconic old games to get a new life.

DonFerrari said:
VGPolyglot said:

Are you a Sony shareholder? If not you don't have to pay anything for them to implement backwards compatibility. And I do keep my older consoles, I said in my OP that I still have my PS3.

It cost money to develop and make the BC on the console, the customers are the ones that are going to pay for it one way or another.

Ironically, the only ones paying (again, I might add) are the ones having to buy games they already own.

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yeah.

When did the XB1 add BC? I guess we could check from there and see if sales have gone up since then (although there are obviously other factors too, so as I said before without knowing the what-if scenario it's impossible to tell its true affect).

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yeah.

When did the XB1 add BC? I guess we could check from there and see if sales have gone up since then (although there are obviously other factors too, so as I said before without knowing the what-if scenario it's impossible to tell its true affect).

What’s not impossible? To see if it affected the PS4 (the console you said should have it). 

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

What’s not impossible? To see if it affected the PS4 (the console you said should have it). 

Wouldn't it make more sense to see if it affected the XB1?

VGPolyglot said:
CGI-Quality said:

Without solid numbers, you can guess. But you asked about the PS4. So far, doesn’t look like it matters all that much.

CGI-Quality said:
VGPolyglot said:

Without solid numbers, you can guess. But you asked about the PS4. So far, doesn’t look like it matters all that much.

I don't think I ever claimed that the PS4 needed backwards compatibility to succeed, it would make the console better overall though.

VGPolyglot said:
CGI-Quality said:

I don't think I ever claimed that the PS4 needed backwards compatibility to succeed, it would make the console better overall though.

I didn’t say you did. I’m saying that it’s not as necessary as you believe it is.