By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it okay to Pirate games?

Conina said:
contestgamer said:

Lets say poor person A has $1000 a month to spend. He spends $800 on rent, $200 on food and $100 on games. He's now $100 in debt. Your solution is to give him $100 in assistance which he will probably just spend on games as well. You would have a better result if you just gave him the $100 in games free so he wouldnt need assistance.

Why would a poor person spend $800 per month on rent? Most persons I know (which aren't poor) spend a lot less on rent.

Well that, but also who spends $100 a month on games? More understandable during the holiday months, but if somebody is doing that every month then that's really excessive. Especially for a "poor" person!

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 07 April 2018

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Conina said:

Why would a poor person spend $800 per month on rent? Most persons I know (which aren't poor) spend a lot less on rent.

Well that, but also who spends $100 a month on games? More understandable during the holiday months, but if somebody is doing that every month then that's really excessive. Especially for a "poor" person!

I do, but only because I can easily afford that.

There are sooooo many options to play a lot of enjoyable games for 10 to 20 dollars/euros per month nowadays:

• humble bundles, indie gala bundles, fanatical bundles
  • humble monthly bundles
  • Steam sales
  • PS+ games
  • PS Now
  • PS Store sales
  • Games with Gold
  • Xbox Pass
  • Xbox Marketplace sales
  • EA Access
  • Origin Access

Or you just buy a game collection of older games from players who are selling their old system or game collection.

There are plenty of good offers.

Ka-pi96 said:
Conina said:

I own a PC/Switch/3DS/PS4. I get anything that scores above 79 on Opencritic. Still don't manage to spend $100 a month on games. Every year my backlog grows, despite the fact that I play 30+ hours a week on average. So yeah, $100 a month on games for a poor person is ridiculous.

Conina said:
Ka-pi96 said:

But that hints at a lack of empathy/sympathy towards poor people, like they shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the same things that you do because they're poor.

VGPolyglot said:
Conina said:

But that hints at a lack of empathy/sympathy towards poor people, like they shouldn't be allowed to enjoy the same things that you do because they're poor.

No, that only hints at a lack of restraint on my side when it comes to video games... I buy much more games than I can ever play.

As I wrote: with $10 - $20 per month ($100 - $200 per year) a "normal" person can play more than enough good games.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Conina said:

I think poor people have bigger worries on their mind than playing video games.

HomokHarcos said:
VGPolyglot said:

I wasn't stating otherwise, but the question is whether or not poor people should have the chance to play games, even if it means piracy. My answer is yes.

contestgamer said:
SpokenTruth said:

Let me get this straight.  You seem to think these two scenarios are equal.  And that I must accept B because I accept A.

A. Poor people need social support systems to live.

B. Poor people should pirate all games.

Rol, you can come out now.  Bravo on the trolling but it's getting ridiculous now.

Lets say poor person A has $1000 a month to spend. He spends $800 on rent, $200 on food and $100 on games. He's now $100 in debt. Your solution is to give him $100 in assistance which he will probably just spend on games as well. You would have a better result if you just gave him the $100 in games free so he wouldnt need assistance.

I can't even begin to describe the level of failure this post contains. Nothing about this rational.  Nothing about this is logical.  You've equated video games to the same fundamental pyramid level as food and shelter on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Conina said:
roadkillers said:

What about a game like Burnout 3 that you cannot buy on PC?

Then you buy a supported system if you want to play that game... d'uh.

Nobody is entitled to get every game for the prefered platform.

Since the revenue isn't affected, it's better than not playing the game... 

Intrinsic said:
No its not.

Not that I have anything against piracy, but its that with games sales os the only revenue stream they have. You pirate them, and you take that away.

Unless they are old... 

I approve of it if the game can't be bought easily or is past its sell by date. Otherwise, nay... 

HomokHarcos said:
VGPolyglot said:

Some of you should visit Colombia and Northern South America. Their poor people complain about low wages... whilst driving Hummers and having 5K entertainment centers and iPhones X despite living in a shantytown... that doesn't look shanty at all on the inside... 

I think poor people there could easily spend more than that on games...