By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Retro Studios LinkedIn profile mentions "narrative specializations in worldbuilding” and “non linear storytelling”

Open-world StarTropics confirmed.

Around the Network

Metroid prime 4.
I know it isn´t supposed to be that, but I want to believe

I think Retro is working on Eternal Darkness

Fuck seriously we shoudl ban all news on Retro unless it's a game announcement.

They been hiring for years

With all these roles they had over the years this must be the best game ever created that no other game to come after it will be worth making. it will avg 11/10 because it will exceed perfection.

World of Donkeys.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

At the very least we should commend Retro Studios for having some of the best secret keepers on staff in the industry. We know next to nothing about their next title beyond a few vague rumors about Diddy Kong Racing, Eternal Darkness, or some other survival horror title, none of which have been confirmed to be true.

Not even a peep has been heard about some sort of development hell, and it would seem even Nintendo isn't holding their foot to the fire before each E3 demanding footage or at least a title card.

At this point, whatever does get revealed better not have the underwhelming shock of Donkey Kong Returns. While the title and its sequel have been received very well, I think most would have preferred at the very least a 2D Metroid title instead of a 2D DK.

Here's to hoping we'll all be rewarded for our patience (or lack thereof) with an amazing title worthy of standing next to arguably one of the greatest games ever made, Metroid Prime.

Mar1217 said:
spemanig said:
DK finds banana.
DK remembers tragic banana back story.
DK looks up, as the banana spins ambiguously in the foreground.

That's actually something I would want to see. (In a parodic way of course)

super_etecoon said:
At the very least we should commend Retro Studios for having some of the best secret keepers on staff in the industry. We know next to nothing about their next title beyond a few vague rumors about Diddy Kong Racing, Eternal Darkness, or some other survival horror title, none of which have been confirmed to be true.

Not even a peep has been heard about some sort of development hell, and it would seem even Nintendo isn't holding their foot to the fire before each E3 demanding footage or at least a title card.

At this point, whatever does get revealed better not have the underwhelming shock of Donkey Kong Returns. While the title and its sequel have been received very well, I think most would have preferred at the very least a 2D Metroid title instead of a 2D DK.

Here's to hoping we'll all be rewarded for our patience (or lack thereof) with an amazing title worthy of standing next to arguably one of the greatest games ever made, Metroid Prime.

I know next to nothing about the game but plz, don't hold your breath too long. You might choke pretty fast if that's what you want.

Why shouldn't I want a game that can stand next to Metroid Prime as an amazing game? Both Zelda and Mario have managed to have iterations this generation that at least are comparable or better than their previous high benchmarks. Certainly after 4 years and maybe two different systems (with Retro knowing the entire time about the Switch), they should be able to put out such a masterpiece.  At this point with the length of silence, and like i mentioned before, the fact that they gave us 2D Donkey Kong instead of a brand new amazing 3D world, it's almost expected from them. Trust me, if what is released is anything short of stellar, the pitchforks will be coming.

Mar1217 said:
super_etecoon said:

Why shouldn't I want a game that can stand next to Metroid Prime as an amazing game? Both Zelda and Mario have managed to have iterations this generation that at least are comparable or better than their previous high benchmarks. Certainly after 4 years and maybe two different systems (with Retro knowing the entire time about the Switch), they should be able to put out such a masterpiece.  At this point with the length of silence, and like i mentioned before, the fact that they gave us 2D Donkey Kong instead of a brand new amazing 3D world, it's almost expected from them. Trust me, if what is released is anything short of stellar, the pitchforks will be coming.

Go on. I think it'll end up just being a good game. Although, since our difference in definition when it comes to stellar/masterpiece of work is apparent, let just say Tropical Freeze was already one. It just never got that recognition because of people like : ­­­'' MUH METROID ?!?''

Nothing from Retro's history suggests that you will be right.  Every title they have released has been an amazing game and a masterpiece, including the Donkey Kong 2D games.  When I'm referencing those Donley Kong games, I'm referring to fan perception, not quality of games. You can't deny, and in fact you even say it outright, that Retro fans wanted Metroid and they were disappointed not to get it.  All I'm saying is that I hope it is a game that both lives up to their expected pedigree, and at the same time is a game I really want to play.  Diddy Kong Racing probably isn't going to cut it for me and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in that opinion, regardless of how great of a game it could turn out to be.

super_etecoon said:
Mar1217 said:

Go on. I think it'll end up just being a good game. Although, since our difference in definition when it comes to stellar/masterpiece of work is apparent, let just say Tropical Freeze was already one. It just never got that recognition because of people like : ­­­'' MUH METROID ?!?''

Nothing from Retro's history suggests that you will be right.  Every title they have released has been an amazing game and a masterpiece, including the Donkey Kong 2D games.  When I'm referencing those Donley Kong games, I'm referring to fan perception, not quality of games. You can't deny, and in fact you even say it outright, that Retro fans wanted Metroid and they were disappointed not to get it.  All I'm saying is that I hope it is a game that both lives up to their expected pedigree, and at the same time is a game I really want to play.  Diddy Kong Racing probably isn't going to cut it for me and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in that opinion, regardless of how great of a game it could turn out to be.

I dont think thats the problem at all.Maybe people started to expect Retro games would always be Metroid related, but after Metroid Prime and its admitelly breakthrough, people more than anything expected only ambitious projects out of them.

So while Donkey Kong Return, both games, are really great, even excellent in the case of tropical Freeze, people were kind of dissapointed because it was nothing groundbreaking or special.For better or worse, people expect the best out of Retro.Given that its been more than 4 years since their last game, I think they are at it again, trying to do something special.So I wouldnt worry too much about the industry reception about their project when it is revealed.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Ck1x said:
I think Retro is working on Eternal Darkness

Fjslsjjdiwjsjfd don't make me hope for this. This would be one of the greatest thing. That and Kid Icarus switch