By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It´s 2020 PS5 is native 4k, 8 Tf, 16 GB of ram, RC, 450 USS. would you buy it?

Mr Puggsly said:

X1X has the potential to be an appealing product even in 2020 at $250.

Highly doubt it for a dozen different reasons.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

It's not about the specs, it's about the games. If games are great, then I'll buy it.

The last console I bought because of specs alone was the PS2 and I was very disappointed by that console the first year and an half. Shouldn't have bought that full price at launch.

On the other hand I bought a Dreamcast at launch for the games and it was a great decision (and many dreamcast games were even better looking than PS2 games, so I understood that the PS2 specs were only PR marketing).

No, PS4 is currently enough for me, but few year laters probably.

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

X1X has the potential to be an appealing product even in 2020 at $250.

"Just as long as its getting 9th gen content and playing them well."

If MS is really trying to end or at least blur the line of generations, maybe their exclusives will be on X1, X1X, and their 9th gen box. So essentially the X1X could become a low cost way to play 9th gen content really well while 9th gen consoles are still $399-499.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 13 February 2018

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

If MS is really trying to end or at least blur the line of generations, maybe their exclusives will be on X1, X1X, and their 9th gen box. So essentially the X1X could become a low cost way to play 9th gen content really well while 9th gen consoles are still $399-499.

I was more or less poking at your price hypothesis.
There are reasons why it probably will not reach a more budget-orientated price.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I was more or less poking at your price hypothesis.
There are reasons why it probably will not reach a more budget-orientated price.

Well the X1 was about $199 after about 3 years during the holiday.

I think X1X for $249-299 during the holiday with a redesign of 2020 is reasonable.

Eitherway, I think its important MS tries to blur generation and make X1 somehow part of their 9th gen userbase. Even if that means making all exclusives X1 compatible throughout the 9th gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

For me when it comes to buying a console the actual hardware doesn't really matter, that is to say what is inside the hardware (mhz/ghz/ram/gpu/hdd) really have never been a factor in me buying an enjoying a system.

I bought a PS4 over an X1 because of software and business practices around the launch of the X1, it was just an added bonus that the launch ps4 was more powerful than a launch X1, now that fact of power is no longer in favour of the PS4 much like it wasn't in favour of the PS2 in comparison to the original Xbox, does it change the fact that the PS4 I would still say deserves its place under my TV? not at all.

When Sony unveil their next hardware I genuinely hope it is not revealed with a fancy cgi rendering of ram and a cpu/gpu and talk about the bandwidth of the memory... but instead is revealed with awesome looking games to play.... and Knack 3 to ignore.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Even with a Ryzen Processor and 16GB of ram, which would be great, 8Tflops looks like a very low aim for 2020

Twitter @CyberMalistix

I would buy a PS5 until it has a good amount of games that interest me. Really don't care about the specs.

Barkley said:
Slap&Ride said:

Exactly! Every generation for PlayStation has 16 times higher RAM amount.

PS1 - 2MB

PS2 - 32MB

PS3 - 512MB

PS4 - 8192MB (8GB)

PS5 - 128GB ?  -  I don't believe it will be this much, but 16GB is nothing for a consol that will be supported until 2030.

Because it won't be supported until 2030. It'll have either 16,24 or 32gb of ram. I think 16/24 is much more likely than 32 though. The Ram of the average steam user should be a fairly good indicator of what to expect.

PS4 (2013) - Unified Memory: 8gb
Average Steam User (2013) - Ram: ~6gb - VRam: ~1gb   (total: ~7gb)

Average Steam User (2018) - Ram: ~10gb - VRam ~2.9gb   (total: ~13gb)

Consoles are never going to be miles ahead of the average steam user, it's likely that by November 2020 the average steam users combined memory will be around 18-22gb. 

More than 24gb would most likely be overkill.

Mr Puggsly said:
Slap&Ride said:

Yes the X1X might be able to play the 9th gen games with reduced everything. But if it sells only a couple million units no one will develop 9th gen games with X1X in mind.

X1 and PS4 will be supported years into the 9th gen. So as long as X1 gets a ports of a 9th gen games, the X1X can improve them significantly without a big effort. I mean look at Gears 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 3, Forza 7, and Shadow of War. The extra RAM and GPU power are making these same X1 games look significantly more polished by simply boosting graphics settings and including the existing high res textures.

X1X has the potential to be an appealing product even in 2020 at $250. Just as long as its getting 9th gen content and playing them well.

Another scenario, its possible MS will allow X1X support that can exclude the OG X1 down the road. But I don't see games being developed for X1X only. Anything that works on X1X should be functional on OG X1 with scaled back graphics/resolution. I make that assumption because the CPU disparity isn't too significant and I don't think we'll be seeing X1X content under 1080p.

Sony supports it's consoles long after the end of the generation - 10 years of support is a minimum. The PS2 was supported from 2000 to 2013. The PS3 from 2006 to 2017. So if the PS5 comes in 2020, then 2032 is possible, especially that it is very successful with a large install base - and profitable. And the 24GB is an odd number so its probably 16GB or 32GB.

Pemalite said:
haxxiy said:

Much more die shrinks back then though. From the PS3 to the PS4 there were 3 and a half; if the PS4 uses the future 7 nm node (which has nothing of 7 nm in all of them really) that's still only 2 and a half shrinks - and just one and a half from the PS4 pro.          

Assuming the 7nm nodes you speak of are actually true 7nm nodes and not hybrids.

Slap&Ride said:

Exactly! Every generation for PlayStation has 16 times higher RAM amount.

PS1 - 2MB

PS2 - 32MB

PS3 - 512MB

PS4 - 8192MB (8GB)

PS5 - 128GB ?  -  I don't believe it will be this much, but 16GB is nothing for a consol that will be supported until 2030.

PS1 had more than 2MB of Ram.
It actually had 2MB of System Ram, 1MB of video Ram, 0.5Mb of Audio Ram.
Meaning it was a 3.5MB system.

The Playstation 2 had 32MB of System Ram, 4MB of Video Ram and 2-4MB of I/O Ram depending on model for a total of 38-40MB of Ram.

The Playstation 4 has 8192MB of System Ram... On the base Playstation 4 it has 256MB of additional DDR3 and on the Playstation 4 Pro 1024MB.
For a total of 8.25GB/9GB of Ram.

Meaning... Your list is actually incorrect.

That also means that...

PS1 > PS2 was a 10.8x to 11.4x leap in memory capacity.
PS2 > PS3 was a 13.4x to  12.8x leap in memory capacity.
PS3 > PS4 was a 16.5x to 18x leap in memory capacity.

128GB is not going to happen. Not with GDDR6, not with GDDR5X, not with HBM, not with DDR4. The densities are not there for it to be financially feasible.
At most we can expect 32GB by 2020, provided costs come down from their stupid highs right now.

A little bit of nitpicking?;)

The system memory theory stands. The PS1 & PS2 did not have unified memory. The Video Ram is like GPU memory in PC. The data is doubled. And the PS4 with its 256MB of DDR3... I know that You know that it is not relevant and only for system background staff(Netflix;). Oh and of course lets not forget the 4MB of cache of the BluRay Drive;)

As i said I don't  believe in 128GB, but the HBM2 is a standard that You omitted. The production of PS5 will start in 2,5 years and it's still time for it to blossom and be mass market ready. 32GB is still better then 16GB especially that the X1X has 12GB and is priced for premium gamers and a small install base.

Last edited by Slap&Ride - on 15 February 2018