Forums - Website Topics - VGChartz - User Reviews

Are there any guildlines for reviews, namely spoilers?

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread -

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
TalonMan said:

It shows "Latest Reviews" by default, but if you hover over the header you will see a drop-down allowing you to see "Top Rated" reviews instead.

Top Rated is the average number of "Thumbs Up" a review gets - so, if your review gets 9 Thumbs Up and 1 Thumbs Down, your review will have a rating of 90%. The front page "Top Rated" is currently sorting those reviews that have received at least 5 ratings...  ...might have to increase that, the way Rol is going.  ;)

There's a glitch. I can't upvote my own reviews more than once.

EDIT: You know, nevermind. I'll just do it the old-fashioned way and use additional accounts.

Last edited by RolStoppable - on 04 February 2018

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Fyi - as I mentioned, there are also badges built (or planned to be built) around User Reviews. Badges for the number of reviews written are already active, and there will be some additional ones (that will work retroactively) awarded based on number of "up-votes".

So quantity AND quality are equally important... :)

Platina said:
Are there any guildlines for reviews, namely spoilers?

I would say, use your best judgement. We're not really monitoring the content of these reviews (other than things that might be offensive or whatnot), so if you are potentially revealing spoilers a warning would be a good idea.

RolStoppable said:
TalonMan said:

It shows "Latest Reviews" by default, but if you hover over the header you will see a drop-down allowing you to see "Top Rated" reviews instead.

Top Rated is the average number of "Thumbs Up" a review gets - so, if your review gets 9 Thumbs Up and 1 Thumbs Down, your review will have a rating of 90%. The front page "Top Rated" is currently sorting those reviews that have received at least 5 ratings...  ...might have to increase that, the way Rol is going.  ;)

There's a glitch. I can't upvote my own reviews more than once.

EDIT: You know, nevermind. I'll just do it the old-fashioned way and use additional accounts.

I love hate you.

TalonMan said: 

I love hate you.

No need to worry. I'll go back to my own review format and leave your user review thing alone.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=227031

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Did a few over the last few weeks. Once you do one it is kind of awkward getting to see it. Especially from mobile. But it is a nice feature.

Thanks!

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

I wonder when my comment on Rol's Doom review will be visible. I felt it was pretty funny but I don't know.

Zelda fans are the worst 

TalonMan said:
mZuzek said:

This is cool and all, but I wanna make a little complaint here. I was just checking Twilight Princess sales data earlier today, and I wanted to see how it sold over the years... but that feature is still missing. I assume you guys are already working on this, but I just wanna say that should be your top priority over anything else, because it's just really annoying when we can't check stuff we could a couple of months ago.

Not to be disrespectful, I know it sounded like that. I really like this whole review stuff and I'm gonna write loads of them... eventually. (...) I promise! Hopefully.

Edit: and well, since I'm doing all this complaining and stuff, I could complain about the reviews as well, because why not? I'd really like it if you could make reviews without scores, and if you could add images to your review (not sure if this is already possible to be honest).

Well, since we want to get "real" and all - I figure I should probably point out, we're all really just volunteers around here. Put another way, if I were a paid employee and my boss said, "You need to do this..." - well obviously, it would be the VERY first thing I did!!!

But...

...I'm not a paid employee. And so, since there isn't a financial incentive to get me to do certain things, then a different incentive is needed to motivate - and in this case, what motivates me is building cool new features which I think will bring life to the game database and those which I think the community will enjoy using.

None of this being said disrespectfully, mind you - your post was respectful as is mine, and I'm just telling you straight up how it is around here. There are TONS of things around here that need to be fixed and/or improved, many of which are probably FAR more important than the user reviews...   ...but they bore me and they tend not to get the creative juices flowing - and therefore, they don't get my highest priority or attention. 

Yes - I'll get around to fixing and adding more sales tools for you. But tonight, I had no interest in visiting that part of the code - tonight, I was interested in enhancing a feature which I really enjoy seeing used.

Feel free to add a review without a score - I don't believe it will stop you. But it will conflict with the point of having a 'community average score' (which is sort of the purpose in the first place), and technically speaking, if you happen to get enough 'up votes' it will probably treat your lack of score as a 'zero' and totally screw with the community average... :(

...as I said in my opening - you are free to insert screenshots in your review. It's the same exact rich-text editing box that we use in the forums. So whatever you can do here, you can do there. :)

Yeah... I guess I understand that. Everyone has their own projects on which they usually focus on doing the fun, creative stuff rather than the busy work. It's weird to think that it'd be like that for a decently big website, but it is what it is and I know where you're coming from. If I was in your place I'd just be minding my own business and improving the stuff I was more interested in. I'm definitely not a helpful person really, so it's just like me to complain that other people aren't improving the stuff I want improved!

But seriously though, just find a way to bring back at least the yearly numbers on a game page of course I'd like a lot more features involving sales, but having a feature that was there for so long would do.

I didn't realize the box for writing the views was the same as the forum one, huh... it's a little weird, I feel it wasn't like that last time I checked. Was it changed recently or something? Well, I guess whenever I decide to do reviews then I'll just find a way to list my scores through images and have an approximation of it as the "real" score (because I'm not planning on using a 1-10 scale).

spurgeonryan said:
Did a few over the last few weeks. Once you do one it is kind of awkward getting to see it. Especially from mobile. But it is a nice feature.

Thanks!

Mobile view does still need a bit of tweaking - as do the game pages in general. One of these days, I will just dedicate all of a night solely working on the layout stuff.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I wonder when my comment on Rol's Doom review will be visible. I felt it was pretty funny but I don't know.

Comments don't work in this area yet (was mentioned in this thread, already) - you're gonna be waiting a LOOONG time for that comment to appear... ;)

...going to look into this tomorrow.

mZuzek said:
TalonMan said:

Well, since we want to get "real" and all - I figure I should probably point out, we're all really just volunteers around here. Put another way, if I were a paid employee and my boss said, "You need to do this..." - well obviously, it would be the VERY first thing I did!!!

But...

...I'm not a paid employee. And so, since there isn't a financial incentive to get me to do certain things, then a different incentive is needed to motivate - and in this case, what motivates me is building cool new features which I think will bring life to the game database and those which I think the community will enjoy using.

None of this being said disrespectfully, mind you - your post was respectful as is mine, and I'm just telling you straight up how it is around here. There are TONS of things around here that need to be fixed and/or improved, many of which are probably FAR more important than the user reviews...   ...but they bore me and they tend not to get the creative juices flowing - and therefore, they don't get my highest priority or attention. 

Yes - I'll get around to fixing and adding more sales tools for you. But tonight, I had no interest in visiting that part of the code - tonight, I was interested in enhancing a feature which I really enjoy seeing used.

Feel free to add a review without a score - I don't believe it will stop you. But it will conflict with the point of having a 'community average score' (which is sort of the purpose in the first place), and technically speaking, if you happen to get enough 'up votes' it will probably treat your lack of score as a 'zero' and totally screw with the community average... :(

...as I said in my opening - you are free to insert screenshots in your review. It's the same exact rich-text editing box that we use in the forums. So whatever you can do here, you can do there. :)

Yeah... I guess I understand that. Everyone has their own projects on which they usually focus on doing the fun, creative stuff rather than the busy work. It's weird to think that it'd be like that for a decently big website, but it is what it is and I know where you're coming from. If I was in your place I'd just be minding my own business and improving the stuff I was more interested in. I'm definitely not a helpful person really, so it's just like me to complain that other people aren't improving the stuff I want improved!

But seriously though, just find a way to bring back at least the yearly numbers on a game page of course I'd like a lot more features involving sales, but having a feature that was there for so long would do.

I didn't realize the box for writing the views was the same as the forum one, huh... it's a little weird, I feel it wasn't like that last time I checked. Was it changed recently or something? Well, I guess whenever I decide to do reviews then I'll just find a way to list my scores through images and have an approximation of it as the "real" score (because I'm not planning on using a 1-10 scale).

Yes, I added the rich-text box a couple of days ago - thought it was silly not to give users as many tools as possible, if they're going to invest the time in these reviews...